• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Anyone else here do it?

The Wife and I have decided that were are done with public schools. We are giving the school/superintendent notice that we will be continuing our two youngest boys education at home. We simply don't trust the public school system to properly educate our children and keep them safe. In our opinion, the public school system in general is not geared towards boys.

My Wife will be doing a vast majority of the teaching and we are looking at co-ops and umbrella programs to help in the event the State decides to make things difficult.

I will help with history, physical education, and shop.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    This is a personal decision obviously, and we almost did ourselves during middle school.

Our hesitation was that our son already was kinda socially awkward at the time and didn't really have any friends in the neighborhood.

He has gotten through most of his stuff, and now is much more socially healthy. I cannot say that would be the case if we had pulled him.

Not arguing with you, just posting something to think about...

Is private school a possibility? I know that area up there is kinda thin on resources.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Good for you. The road you embarked on is not easy, but few good things are. Some of the smartest, nicest, and most well adjusted people I have ever had the pleasure to meet were home schooled.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Home schooled both our children from age five. daughter is honor student in college now and son is only eleven but still homeschooled. Wrench thrown recently into mix as wife has been diagnosed with lung cancer, never smoked and is only 49, turns out its genetic in it's source.

Home schooling is a commitment but a rewarding one on every level.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This is a personal decision obviously, and we almost did ourselves during middle school.

Our hesitation was that our son already was kinda socially awkward at the time and didn't really have any friends in the neighborhood.

He has gotten through most of his stuff, and now is much more socially healthy. I cannot say that would be the case if we had pulled him.

Not arguing with you, just posting something to think about...

Is private school a possibility? I know that area up there is kinda thin on resources.

I've known many home schooled kids including some in my own family who came out of homeschooling and were very socially awkward. Something to be said for being amongst the herd.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    We home schooled our son through 8th grade. We were military and frequently moving-- he had a great education and teachers who were totally invested in his success and welfare. He was heavily engaged in extra-curricular activities through the local church, scouting, sports and arts. He became an Eagle Scout at 16. Socially awkward...hardly. He was/is able to engage confidently and respectfully with his peers and those senior in every social situation encountered. He was accepted to one of the highest ranked colleges in the nation for his desired field of study and graduated in three years. Today he is happy, healthy, well employed, self-reliant and values his place as a citizen in our nation. He has been well prepared for success in life through a classical home school education, meaningful community service through an engaged church, and well-rounded social/family life. It was not easy but-- it has been incredibly rewarding and family building. Good luck and God Speed-- hang in there and never quit!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    My gal pal is home schooling. The bat-shi+ crazy grandmother reported to Social Services that she didn't think the child, boy 11, was being educated properly. If you think the EPA and IRS have carte blanch and are tyrants, just wait until you have to deal with made up rules thrown around. Gal Pal has a lawyer and losing work hours to deal with this BS. There have been surprise visits from SS to the house and improper questioning has taking place on an underaged child that would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

There is a Home School group she belongs to that provides evaluation and socialization to home schoolers and they are behind my friend and submitting documents and offering tips on how to defend from the BS. I think it will work out in time, but keeping records and docs is undoubtedly important to mention.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    "the public school system in general is not geared towards boys"

Could you please expand on this?

I cant answer for the OP but I share this option. Most boys need a healthy mix of physical activity and hands on learning instruction mixed into lesson plans. The ability to sit still for hours at a time factors into success in the classroom, and that is just simply not how most young boys are wired. I’m not talking about ADHD just normal behavioral bias of the system.

Some kids adjust, some find teachers who adjust but some simply struggle for no other reason.

My wife is a teacher and she herself struggles to find ways to keep boys engaged in lessons. We recognized the problem with our son in elementary school and decided to send him to all boys HS partially for this reason.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Thought about taking my son out of Harford county public schools for a number of reasons. Now I'm trying to do anything for him to stay at his school with us having 30 days to find a new place to live.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    It can be rough getting them social experience which is the one thing public school does teach. Best of luck, you have the potential to help them out a lot.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I would heartily recommend avoiding the public schools if you don’t like it. We sent all our kids to private schools since we are working too much to homeschool. Many of our friends homeschooled and their kids learn more in less time.

Public school inherently is tilted towards those who can do well in a large classes for hours a day. You also have to deal with leftist ideology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    "the public school system in general is not geared towards boys"

Could you please expand on this?

A good book, if you have any kids, is "The Boy Crisis". GREAT ammo to debate the left with as it was written by a member of NOW and serious feminist. However, he studied the data and states the facts. He has stats in his book to show that boys routinely get lower grades in a class due to teacher bias even though they will score higher on the standardized testing for that class. I really recommend it, even if you have girls so you can understand the teen boy she will eventually drag to your house.

Not to talk for the OP but schools are not geared towards boys, they have swung to focus on the girls. Reduced recess, writing assignments which are passive in writing style (which boys don't do well), reading list focused on every group but men, etc, etc, etc.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I don't blame anyone who'd rather school their kids at home than send them to the future-leftists-of-Amerika training program in MD Public Schools. I salute your decision, Chad. If I still had school-aged kids living at home I would consider doing exactly the same thing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good on anyone undertaking this.

I have known a few home schooled kids/adults. They, for the most part, are normal, hard working people with normal to better social skills. The socializing problem that people pose is bunk. If I had a half a brain, I would have done the same thing with my daughter (but God only gave me a third of a brain, lol).

The one thing we did do throughout our daughter's public school education was a daily debriefing in order to offset the BS the school system was trying to indoctrinate. For the most part, we were successful. For anyone out there who doesn't have the option to home school, I insist you do the same.

Good luck Chad. You're doing the right thing.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    My wife has homeschooled all four of my children since day 1 of schooling for boyo 1. Boyo 1 is currently in his second year of college and doing great. The only social "awkwardness" any of them exhibit is a resounding problem with tolerating ******** from others... they all have friends of multiple age ranges and are incredibly comfortable in both leader and follower roles where required.

HSLDA is a great legal resource.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom