• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked this up at the Chantilly show on Sunday. I told myself not to buy any firearms while I was down there and just focus on getting magazines and ammo. Well, as you can see, it didn't go that way. An older gentleman was walking around with a Finn Mosin-Nagant, so I went to go see what it was. Turns out it was a M27 Rifle with a VKT Barrel. Somebody had told him what model it was and that it was uncommon, but other than that he didn't know anything about it. Apparently he'd had it sitting in a closet for the past 25+ years after he bought it.

Tikkakoski/Tikka was the producer of the vast majority of M27 Rifles. In 1932, the State Rifle Factory aka VKT produced 2,150 rifles. They produced an even smaller batch in 1935. This one is one of the earliest VKT produced rifles, being #122.

As you can see, this one is a little beat up, but it's not in too bad of shape. Certainly seen it's fair share of use. The bolt is matching and it still has the correct winged connector on it which is a nice bonus. The bore is dirty, but I ran a couple patches through it and it's cleaned up nicely. Should be a nice shooter should I decide to take it out.

There are a couple odd things about it though. It's got some kind of homemade rear band on it that has a nail holding it instead of a screw. It doesn't really look like bubba, since it's got dried cosmoline on it and it looks fairly old. Unfortunately, whoever made it scrapped the wood trying to fit it on, but that looks old as well. The front sling slot also has similar nails holding it on both sides as opposed to screws. The front band also looks like it's for an M28 or some other model as it doesn't have the "Popsicle Sticks" on it.

Hopefully some of the resident Finn experts (looking at you h2u) can give me some insight on it.

I snagged it for $475 which I don't think was too bad for an uncommon variation. The Finn stuff seems to be rising in price like K98k's and Swiss stuff lately, so hopefully I didn't screw myself.

Attachments

• IMG_9747.jpg
      IMG_9747.jpg
      126.7 KB · Views: 345
    • IMG_9754.jpg
      IMG_9754.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 360
    • IMG_9770.jpg
      IMG_9770.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 351
    • IMG_9773.jpg
      IMG_9773.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 332
    • IMG_9785.jpg
      IMG_9785.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_9786.jpg
      IMG_9786.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 324
    • IMG_9793.jpg
      IMG_9793.jpg
      125.3 KB · Views: 334
    • IMG_9803.jpg
      IMG_9803.jpg
      97.9 KB · Views: 329
    • IMG_9814.jpg
      IMG_9814.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 320
    • IMG_9842.jpg
      IMG_9842.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 323

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Somewhat rare M27. Stock was likely added here. Finnish Arsenal wouldn't use nails. Here they would since screws are at a premium. Stock is made for popsicle stick front nose cap. Maybe original stock was broken? More than likely stock and parts were put together with a Barreled Action with bolt. I would get a proper stock for it. Seen 1932 VKT sell between $400-700 recently. Should be able to find a stock with Metal for under $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Nose cap looks to be the early style m27 nose cap since it is hinged, m28s did not use a hinged nose cap, so could be original nose cap with replacement stock, seen it before with popsicle stick cuts but early nose cap but who knows.

Either way I’d say good score

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wait'll H2U sees this one! Lots of character, which he loves. I won't comment on the price as I've been away from actively following the Finn market for years now. But considering that most everything else has been rising steadily and Finn stuff generally commands a premium here in the US $475 doesn't seem out of line at all.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    LOL! I’ve already seen it, mawkie.
    I’ve also already enacted my “right of first refusal” clause to claim it when the Swiss fever overwhelms him. I actually do this for all of his Finns ;)

While no expert, I don’t see a thing wrong with the nails in rear band and escutcheon.
    I also dig the lower serial as well. It beats my ‘32 VKT by 400.

Great rifle for a great price. Congrats!!!!!

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Great find. I was at Chantilly on Friday. Wish I'd been there Sunday!

You got a great deal. Gray Blanket just sold one for almost twice that much.

I did not have that serial in my database either, thank you for posting.

I have seen the sling slot punched in that manner. Not sure which one, but its defiantly legit and Finnish in origin.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great find. I was at Chantilly on Friday. Wish I'd been there Sunday!

You got a great deal. Gray Blanket just sold one for almost twice that much.

I did not have that serial in my database either, thank you for posting.

I have seen the sling slot punched in that manner. Not sure which one, but its defiantly legit and Finnish in origin.

Thanks! I figured it must have been Finnish or something. It looks odd, but it was definitely done a long time ago.

Guess now I need to get a new M28 and M28/30. I traded off the two that I used to have long ago

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks! I figured it must have been Finnish or something. It looks odd, but it was definitely done a long time ago.

Guess now I need to get a new M28 and M28/30. I traded off the two that I used to have long ago

You can have all of those expensive M28/30s you want. Just stay away from the M28s. They’re all MINE!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom