• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. I do live in maryland and with all these restrictions on "copycat weapons" / "assault weapons" its hard to find something that i like. what im looking for is a rifle or AR style rifle thats fun to plink with, good to train with, and is not too pricey. I really like the smith and wesson m&p 15 in .223/5.56 but apparently its banned in MD. However the M&P 15 - 22 is completely legal because its rim fire .22 . I also really like the springfield armory m1A but its banned. I also like bull pup style rifles like the streyr aug and IWI Tavor but those are banned.

So I'm looking for a rifle / AR that is chambered in .223/5.56 or .308, has a rail system so i can put an optic and vertical grip, has an adjustable stock, preferably under $800, and of course it needs to be Maryland compliant. If possible i would also like it to be in a flat dark earth or tan color configuration. I know getting mags for it is gonna be a trip, but i can handle that. please post any suggestions or products that you know match this criteria. thank you!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The linked thread is a good one.

Look around for the Del-Ton HBAR. Best bang for the buck and good way to get your feet wet in AR's. They are out there for $400, $25 to ship, $30 ffl fees. $455 in your hands.

I have seen some Windham Armory guns for around $700.
    Ruger 556's are less, IIRC.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your upper budget is close to current sale prices on entry .308 AR's .

Do you want a .308 on purpose ? Unless you have strong desire for .308 on purpose, the MDS consensus is to go.223 to start.

Up to $800 budget will give you choices of half dozen or so, starting from Rugers @ $499 on sale, up to Colt on sale. Pick your flavor of choice within that.

S&W does make a Md complient version, but it isn't the one you see in most of the Internet special promotions.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Id say find you one of them colts 6920s that don't come with a hand guard or butt stock that way you can configure it however you want, its your first rifle you're gonna buy a bunch of unnecessary shit for it lol

Which is part of the fun!

Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    As far as firearms background, always loved guns, had a couple airguns. Went to my first gun show weeks ago and picked up a nice cheap 12 gauge shot gun. Got my hql and bought a Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 in 9mm.

Are there Black Friday deals for guns? And is that the best time to buy?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If you're looking for a plinker, I think many would agree that a 10/22 is a solid choice. Ammo is dirt cheap and they're great for honing your shooting skill. I know I love mine.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

AR-10/AR-15 pricing these last several months is the lowest that it's been since mid-2012. In fact, the overall firearms market has a number of "good" deals now relative to the past 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    As far as firearms background, always loved guns, had a couple airguns. Went to my first gun show weeks ago and picked up a nice cheap 12 gauge shot gun. Got my hql and bought a Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 in 9mm.

I'm hearing cheap, $800, and getting vibes that do not equate with semi auto 30 cal. I would stick with a .223/556. Much less expensive to feed. Only other thing I'm thinking is 7.62x39. Vepr or sks are both pretty cool.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Look for a MD legal Ruger 5.56 for around $600, and you should be able the change the furniture with Magpul FDE components (butt stock, pistol grip, and handguard) for under $200.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Put down your internet, and step away from your copy of Shotgun News . You will just confuse and frustrate yourself.

Now contact the MDS Industry Partners . They are up to speed on MD legal AR's , and will be honored to tell you about your multiple options in your price range .

Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    so i made a decision and im gonna get a Ruger 8511. found a good price on it and im gonna modify it with some FDE magpul furniture.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Look for a MD legal Ruger 5.56 for around $600, and you should be able the change the furniture with Magpul FDE components (butt stock, pistol grip, and handguard) for under $200.

I just got an ad from J&G for a Ruger for $500, but I don't think it was an HBAR

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Put down your J&G sales flyer , and step away .

Seriously , suspend your disbelief, and forget about 21st Century " research" techniques .

HBAR's are a very Maryland centric thing. The demand is primarily in Maryland.

Maryland based dealers ( good ones) understand HBAR , seek them out, and have them in stock . 45 state versions on sale on the internet are meaningless to you .

By all means check with local to you Industry Partners , but being even slightly awake, in recent months JLowes and Gym Ratz have had blowout prices on economical AR HBARs . Make them the first two to check, for baseline price comparisons .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom