• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Often students have a lot of questions about contact with police while lawfully carrying a self protection firearm as a responsible citizen.

While I generally try not to call attention to, and therefore reinforce negative behavior, this is just too good not to share:

Note: It does not involve CCW (as far as I know), but it does illustrate some of what police are worried about and what they have to put up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I recognize that stretch of roadway--it is Route 301 just north of Starke, Florida--the longstanding "speed trap capital of the world" according to the AAA. I drive that section of 301 like a choir boy because they don't mess around.

The officer is from Lawtey, FL. The "taser bro" was reportedly off his meds....

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I didn't see the tasable crime here.

Then you don't care about officer safety, or the fact that the driver rushed the officer with unknown intent. The driver's aggressive approach is not in dispute.

This officer was perfectly within protocol to tase this guy with a non-lethal option--even without issuing a single command.

Remember the 21 foot rule and the fraction of a second it takes to deploy a knife, which WILL go through a ballistic vest.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Then you don't care about officer safety, or the fact that the driver rushed the officer with unknown intent. The driver's aggressive approach is not in dispute.

This officer was perfectly within protocol to tase this guy with a non-lethal option--even without issuing a single command.

Remember the 21 foot rule and the fraction of a second it takes to deploy a knife, which WILL go through a ballistic vest.

I didn't say that I didn't care about officer safety. I questioned what law was broken. I am watching football in my house with law enforcement right now and I get that they often come upon unpredictable situations. It certainly wasn't smart to approach the officer's vehicle in an agitated manner BUT...was it illegal?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I didn't see the tasable crime here.

You don't jump out of a car and approach an officer in an aggressive, posturing manor. You have split seconds to make decisions like that and the last thing you want to do is let someone get close enough to potentially hinder your abilty to deploy your weapons if need be and/or engage you. The officer was quick, decisive, and deployed a reasonable amount of force.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There is no requirement to have committed a crime before being tazed, or even shot.

The requirement is for lethal force might be imminent [otherwise unavoidable] threat of serious bodily injury or death to the innocent.

Being a police officer likely removes the "otherwise unavoidable" similar to states with stand your ground laws.

The threshold for less than lethal force is probably lower.

Although many department policies (post Freddy Grey) now may have a retreat and/or de-escalation component.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I didn't say that I didn't care about officer safety. I questioned what law was broken. I am watching football in my house with law enforcement right now and I get that they often come upon unpredictable situations. It certainly wasn't smart to approach the officer's vehicle in an agitated manner BUT...was it illegal?

Use of force isn't about punishment for a crime it's about defense of life.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Still, it would have been nice to hear the officer give one "sir, get back in your car" command.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    He wasn't tazed for breaking the law, he was tazed for approaching the cop like a threat IMO.

You are correct and had he not been quick enough to draw and deploy the taser requiring him to go hands on, some armchair quarterback would be crying because "he punched a man just for walking up to him".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom