• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've wanted one of these ever since I first glanced at the Swiss Rifle.com page when I got my first K31 10 years ago. I've sold/traded some extra stuff lately but no Swiss collection is complete without a M1897 Cadet. This one was imported a little over a month ago. It is the nicest one I've ever come across.

Everyone knows the Swiss have a strong firearms culture, and the Swiss were big on instructing their citizens in the use of firearms at an early age. Not unlike the U.S. or other countries at the time, in various schools, academies, etc. the Swiss would teach youth basic firearms usage with "Cadet" rifles. Occasionally you might come across Cadet muskets and Cadet Vetterli's (Very Rare). A little less than 8,000 M1897's were made. This one dates to about 1901.

The M1897 Cadet is about the length of a K11 and is a single-shot rifle. They were chambered in the older GP90 (7.5x53.5mm) round. The rear sight had different graduations calibrated for both the GP90 as well as a reduced charge round made specifically for Cadets.

Several other Cadet's that I've handled have been a little beat up and abused but this one is spectacular. All of the numbers match. The bore is spotless. I'm tempted to load up some ammo for it and take it out for a spin but I'm not sure if I'm going to yet. The last picture shows an original GP90/23 round. I'll try to track down an original Cadet round but I doubt that'll be easy to do.

Here's a good Forgotten Weapons video on the M1897 Kadettengewehr with more information

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/swiss-1897-schmidt-rubin-kadettengewehr-training-rifle/

Attachments

• IMG_9258.jpg
      IMG_9258.jpg
      127.9 KB · Views: 328
    • IMG_9269.jpg
      IMG_9269.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 338
    • IMG_9289.jpg
      IMG_9289.jpg
      122.9 KB · Views: 304
    • IMG_9329.jpg
      IMG_9329.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 303
    • IMG_9331.jpg
      IMG_9331.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 351

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    very neat piece of history. and it looks to be in great shape, nice score

DTG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Still kicking myself for passing on a nice Cadet years ago at the Timonium Antique show. That's a fantastic example!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys!

Still kicking myself for passing on a nice Cadet years ago at the Timonium Antique show. That's a fantastic example!

I missed out on a cheap one last year at the Friday setup/dealer day at the MACA show. It had a couple arsenal stock splice repairs but the guy only wanted $500 or a little less for it. I walked past it and when I decided to go back another dealer bought it, then proceeded to immediately flip it for more money to another dealer.

One of the many times that taught me that if I see a good deal I need to jump on it

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Dan - any tips for where to obtain 7.55 x 55 ammo?

Some places online might have it but I’m not sure. I have a pile of GP11 stacked away so I haven’t had much of a need to look for it.

If you can’t find any GP11 surplus, Prvi Partisan ammo works fine too and you can easily reload the brass. Gunshows might be a place to look for it as well. If you see it for a decent price jump on it.

GP11 comes in batches but I’m not sure when the next big shipment will come in. RUAG just started making the ammo again but I think it’s being reserved for the Swiss rifle teams/clubs for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom