• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    There is a potential "Military Thing " ( and not commenting or endorsing at this time, in this thread ). But that would potentially apply IF you were here under orders for temporary duty, and NOT intending to establish Residency in Md.

We understood from the initial post in this thread, you were talking about : 1. After leaving Military and 2. Intending to establish Residency. So that means all the usual laws, regulations, and procedures would apply.

Will you be attending that Gun Show in NC ? The odds of NC based dealer being knowledegable about the fine print of Maryland's Rifle Scheme are very low. ( Unless at the establishment where MDS senior member, and Maryland escapee August1410 works in the New Bern area .

Conversely , if make inquiry with a Maryland based, or Maryland adjacent dealer recomended in this thread, or otherwise an Industry Partner of this Forum ( IP) , they can tell you exactly what is Md legal . And probably be glad to sell one / build one for you, even as an NC resident.

If I were being cynical, I'd say a N.C. dealer made a sale that put a few bucks in his pocket, and when the boom drops on the customer, he'll be out of N.C. when it happens, so the dealer won't feel any real blow back...that's if I were being cynical.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    that's what I was basically told. If I become a NC resident, I can buy any NC legal gun(everything ever made) and can then bring it to MD when im out of service. Does not matter that it was after 2013, the law is in place for MD residents regarding purchasing.

Literally crossing my fingers. Most MD compliant AR's just aren't cutting it for me.

You do not need to become an NC resident to purchase.

Your PCS orders make a resident for BATFE purposes.

BUT, you cannot bring in a banned firearm, purchased on or after 10/1/2013 no matter what your residence was when you purchased it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    next question, if I bring one in........how will they know if its post 2013? It's volunteer registration, I just wouldn't register it. how is any of this enforced? have you guys been in a situation where you had to prove you were rocking a HBAR?

Does it have a serial number? Does the manufacturer know when it was produced?

VERY difficult to buy a rifle before it was manufactured.

Oh, and if you get caught, it is a felony, and you will not ever own a firearm again for the rest of your life.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Anyone know if you can you inherit a banned firearm purchased after 2013 owned by a parent out of state . As in your parent living out of state purchases rifle in West Virginia in 2014 passes away in 2017. Can you inherit that firearm if you live in MD ? Or can you only inherent a firearm that was owned in the state before 2013 ?

Yes, you can inherit one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Guys, I believe you all. It's just somehow every gun person I'm talking to in real life is acting bewildered and are absolutely clueless to this. Or have some reason as to why I can bring a non hbar in because I'm military.

The confirmation bias is great, but how In actuality do not many people know this law which can have SEVERE consequences

They are WRONG.

If you were resident of say TX, stationed in NC, and purchased a non-HBAR in NC, then PCSed to MD you could NOT LEGALLY BRING IT INTO THE STATE.

Even though you were still active duty.

So how could you bring it when you are out of the military??????????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is a potential "Military Thing " ( and not commenting or endorsing at this time, in this thread ). But that would potentially apply IF you were here under orders for temporary duty, and NOT intending to establish Residency in Md.

We understood from the initial post in this thread, you were talking about : 1. After leaving Military and 2. Intending to establish Residency. So that means all the usual laws, regulations, and procedures would apply.

Will you be attending that Gun Show in NC ? The odds of NC based dealer being knowledegable about the fine print of Maryland's Rifle Scheme are very low. ( Unless at the establishment where MDS senior member, and Maryland escapee August1410 works in the New Bern area .

Conversely , if make inquiry with a Maryland based, or Maryland adjacent dealer recomended in this thread, or otherwise an Industry Partner of this Forum ( IP) , they can tell you exactly what is Md legal . And probably be glad to sell one / build one for you, even as an NC resident.

Being here TDY would not require registration. But the same thing applies to PCS here, there is no requirement that he establish MD residency as long as he is still in the military.

Either way, he cannot bring it into the state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Basically as long as it ain't necked down under the handguard, or on the naughty list specifically like Bushies, it's good.

No! Remember, my friend, this is Maryland and common sense does NOT apply. They don't care about dimensions. The product description MUST list it as an HBAR or it MUST be stamped HBAR. Your calipers do not matter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, you can inherit one.

What would be tricky is that the relative purchased it lost 2013 in this hypothetical. The law says simply you can inherit it. I doubt it has been tested if that means you can inherit a rifle that is banned and was purchased and owned out of state post 2013. I doubt that was he legislatures intent to allow that as they won't let people establishing residency in Maryland bring in weapons that are now banned if they legally purchased them elsewhere post 2013.

Not something I would want to test without a clear opinion letter from a Maryland AG or a court ruling.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    SBR is good in MD though correct?

Yes. If you've got the tax stamp and registered then an SBR is fine and you don't have to abide by the HBAR requirement.

That said, Maryland requires ALL rifles to be 29" overall length at a minimum. Doesn't matter if it is an HBAR or not. That is, what? 3" longer than ATF minimum. Basically it requires a special stock on an AR-15 with a 10.5" barrel to meet MD OAL requirements, or a pinned brake/flash hider on said 10.5" barrel.

Or you could do like a 12" barrel should be long enough. OAL is measured from the longest position with the stock extended, but without a removable muzzle device in place (doesn't matter if you have to use a wrench to take it off. If it isn't pinned and welded, ATF doesn't count it).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct, all CENTERFIRE rifles to be 29" OAL minimum. Only thing Maryland cares about with rimfires is that they don't have internal mags over 14 rounds (13?)

They can have any evil features or any size. MD doesn't care. So you can have a rimfire with 28" OAL, a folding stock, a flash suppressor, detachable magazine, semi-auto AND a grenade launcher and you are good to go.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Why is everyone still discussing this lol

I'm active duty military
    Resident from TX , on orders here.

If you purchased a non hbar rifle pre fsa2013 you're good to go, purchasing any non hbar rifle after that date and brining it into the state of MD you are committing a crime.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    What are the legalities of a custom build in MD? Just has to have an hbar? Any mandatory registration?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    What are the legalities of a custom build in MD? Just has to have an hbar? Any mandatory registration?

Make it HBAR, observe federal laws (SBR vs pistol and such), no registration of the completed firearm but the lower will be transferred at an FFL, therefore a 4473 will be processed.

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    Make it HBAR, observe federal laws (SBR vs pistol and such), no registration of the completed firearm but the lower will be transferred at an FFL, therefore a 4473 will be processed.

Thanks man I appreciate the knowledge. Damn shame these rules are. Besides LWRC, I just am not seeing good to go high level rifles with stock hbars/compliance

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Both Engage Armament and Precision Firearms can make you a totally custom rifle as high end on any particular purpose as your heart would desire

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Engage Armament in Rockville will build a kick ass rifle for you. I've got one and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    th

Foldy roll.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone know if you can you inherit a banned firearm purchased after 2013 owned by a parent out of state . As in your parent living out of state purchases rifle in West Virginia in 2014 passes away in 2017. Can you inherit that firearm if you live in MD ? Or can you only inherent a firearm that was owned in the state before 2013 ?

You can't even inherit it if it was purchased originally before 2013 as it would be transferred to you at a date later than 2013.

Transferred is the key word here. You personally were not the owner prior to the FSA ban, therefore you can't take possession of it.

What's more, you couldn't inherit a FSA-Banned firearm in state. Just as you can't sell a pre-2013 FSA-Banned firearm to someone in state.

Feb 28, 2013
    No! Remember, my friend, this is Maryland and common sense does NOT apply. They don't care about dimensions. The product description MUST list it as an HBAR or it MUST be stamped HBAR. Your calipers do not matter.

Here's the problem I got.

Didn't that line of shit come outta the same outfit that said the "banned" list is only a guide and ain't legally bindin'? Hell, ain't Duffy's still sellin' C308's anyhow?

That's why I question that. Any of us with more than two brain cells to run together know what the hell a damn heavy barrel looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom