• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ill pass. Sorry, Im not signing up to piss away the money I've spent on MG's just so those that don't want to pony up can play...

The number of people who already own FA pales in comparison to those who would buy then if they were affordable. I would also guess the number of people who own FA and share the above opinion is MINISCULE as well.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It's an unconstitutional law and should be repealed.

The restoring of our rights is far more important than monetary value.

That said, it ain't gonna happen. Just not enough political will, even given the current environment.
    Exactly my thoughts on the situation. I would feel terrible for people losing money on investments, but investments are never certain and inherent rights should be. The NFA is unconstitutional, but I doubt it is going anywhere, sadly. I'll be shocked if even one pro 2A bill like national carry reciprocity, repeal of the Hughes Amendment, or even the HPA made it to President Trump's desk. That said, it isn't going to keep me from trying. I love signing those petitions that pop up regularly, just like I love contacting Senators Cardin and Van Hollen and Representative Cummings to ask them to support/not oppose pro 2A bills. Sure I'm almost definitely wasting my time, but at least I am speaking my mind. Happy to help in any other way anyone can suggest, too.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    If the MG's are an investment, which it sounds like they are for you, you have to have an exit plan. What is your exit strategy for your MG investment? Or, are you going to ride the reduced prices to the bottom kicking and screaming all along the way?

I really didn't buy them as an investment and hopefully I never need to sell them. Should that day come though Id like to get as much of a return as possible and Im not going to go out of my way to hinder that.

Should this petition actually get anywhere then that's fine, I'm not against it. I'm just not going to sign it based on what my position is. If people don't like it oh well.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Would I like to see the value of my MG plummet? That's an easy question to answer, NO! Would I like to be able to buy or make another MG, sure I would love to be able to do that. Now, do I see the Hughes act being repealed? No, that's a pretty tough hill to climb. 1st there would have to be a 60 Senators who are willing to go on record supporting more machine guns on the street. Then you need a President willing to sign the repeal. Trump might but I think he probably wouldn't go for it. Lastly, there are so many other issues that take precedence over repealing the Hughes act. Now, they could temporarily open up the registry for new MG and close it again. In the short run it would hurt prices but then they would rebound as the inventory gets snapped up.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Fair opinion. Contrary to what others above might think, I'm not against others getting MG's. I think it would be great if everyone had one. I'm not however going to glady piss away what I've got at this point and there's lots of others that won't either. If the NFA were to be repealed that's fine, Im certainly not going to in the way of it.

Certain MG's will hold their value. Others won't. Others will rise.
    Thompson and M3 Grease guns will hold their value. No one makes new production FA versions and they're wartime guns. No company will invest the time, tooling and R&D to make them. Only 2 companies make semi auto repros and they're lil operations.

M16's? May hold value as original M16's where adopted for Vietnam. But your run of the mill M16A2 or A3's? They're gonna drop like rocks with rockets attached to em.

Macs and Uzis I expect to increase in price as they're the entry level guns, reliable and no longer in production but there's dozens of companies making parts and accesories.

Depending on how one invested they'll have a small window to exploit the buffeted prices and they can get return on investment now as the registry is still closed and let someone else shoulder the risk.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    If my MG investment craters because the Hughes amendment is repealed, so be it. Others risked, and some lost, a whole lot more for liberty. I may be taking advantage of a governmentally created, artificial scarcity, but won't stand in the way of it being repealed.

I think repeal should be a low priority, since once the effort gains steam and makes it into the headlines, too many folks will brand 2A supporters as lunatics, and it will ruin the chances for other pro-2A efforts to succeed. We should get some other victories before pushing this.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The popular image of MG among non gun owners is why they won't repeal the Hughes Amendment. It's easy to argue that a semi-automatic AR is not a military grade weapon, you can't really make the same argument with a machine gun. Half of America, doesn't like the Constitution and a good percentage of those are judges and public officials. Politics trumps your constitutional rights.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    If you bought a MG as an investment you have to consider the fair that sine day the value could plummet because of a repeal or a ban on transfers. Investments are risks. A pile of gold bars with original Picassos stacked on top ain't worth shit till you sell them and get cash in hand.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you bought a MG as an investment you have to consider the fair that sine day the value could plummet because of a repeal or a ban on transfers. Investments are risks. A pile of gold bars with original Picassos stacked on top ain't worth shit till you sell them and get cash in hand.

I can see both sides, and for the guys that saved/invested in them, why would they "shoot themselves in the foot" to make their investment lose value? Most will divest if they see the "handwriting on the wall".

For us folks that couldn't afford them at this time, we would like to see it repealed so we can get a shot at some of the fun.

The manufacturers, they would price it at the current market value to make what they can before dropping the price. You can always go low, but when the gates are open, you sell high as long as you can. Which will be when the current investors divest before the bottom drops out.

This scenario is far from happening with the current MSM doing drama reports for ratings.

Q

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    In my opinion. An 18 year old should be able to buy a FA gun and so should a 67 year old retired dentist. Constitutional rights are for everyone. Not just those that have disposable income. Any investment entails risk. ThIs would also mean that the FSA 2013 would largely be null and void sans the HQL, but I'm not explaining that on an open forum.

So would you just flip the keys to this 18 year old or anybody for that matter with zero training? :)

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Ill pass. Sorry, Im not signing up to piss away the money I've spent on MG's just so those that don't want to pony up can play...

The only reason anyone has to "pony up" is because the government overstepped its authority and illegally made a commodity out of what is actually a tool. I remember when "class III" firearms were affordable. They should be affordable again because the common man has the exact same inalienable right to protect himself from tyranny as the wealthy man.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So would you just flip the keys to this 18 year old or anybody for that matter with zero training? :)

Military does it every single day of the week. Are you saying you would support government mandated training prior to firearms ownership?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Having had this discussion several times with MDTCA, which probably represents the largest group of MG owners in MD... I can say I almost never hear anyone who would not be willing to give up any value in their MGs to regain their freedom and the chance to own more MGs currently out of reach...

If you don't mind me asking what MGs do you own?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "Investing" in MG's has always had inherent risks in both directions . At this second we are fantasize about the possibilities with a pro-2A president. But the long term risks have been the other direction.

If they either were banned, or transfers for individuals frozen, their cash values would become essentially zero.

Meanwhile , if for whatever reason the supply expanded ? It would all depend. Actual historical pieces, for example 1920's vintage Thompsons, would be little changed . On the other extreme, select fire AR's could be mfg for essentially the same cost as semiauto AR .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Yep, people who can't afford to buy MG's are absolutely the worst! Yep, that's exactly what I said.

If you want to sign a petition to repeal the NFA go for it. I'm not going to pick anyone apart for doing so.

Geeze people get some kinda butt hurt when someone doesn't agree with what they want...

Basically, that IS what you said.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

So to you the desire to do away with the NFA is because people are cheap? Give me a break.

I'd feel bad for folks who are deep in the game but there was always a risk (although admittedly a very small risk) that the situation might change one day. Even if the NFA sticks around repealing the Hughes amendment alone would sink prices. My rights exceed any collection in value.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Think of all the possibilities of what's not available out there that could be. Like the P90,F2000, Both 16s and 17s scars, 249s 240s, glock's, beretta's, galil's, More AK's , Bren 805, ECT,ECT,Ect I would take a month off of work to do the conversions if they allow the repeal!

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side

Great point. "Value" can get crushed in more than one way. Like the value of a beach front house on a fixed term land lease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom