• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    So I'm looking for a new 12ga goose/duck gun. My current gun is a Rem 1187 that I'm tired of and would like to get away from Remington. I haven't looked at anything in a long time so what's the latest and greatest? I'm thinking $1000-1300 range.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    So I'm looking for a new 12ga goose/duck gun. My current gun is a Rem 1187 that I'm tired of and would like to get away from Remington. I haven't looked at anything in a long time so what's the latest and greatest? I'm thinking $1000-1300 range.

I love my Beretta xtrema but I haven't shot the new model yet. I haven't found a shell/load mine doesn't like. It shot light loads right out of the box and 3 1/2 in mags feel like nothing because of the kickoff. It also has a magazine cut off switch that allows you to unload the chamber but not the mag. That's a huge safety improvement and comes in very handy when you are getting in and out of the blind and boat to chase down a cripple. It also allows you to load the mag but not the chamber, nice for some of clay games like 5 stand where you want to be ready but not have one in the chamber. It also has the cameo wrap that makes it very durable and low maintenance.
    I have had mine for five or six years and have not had any issues (knock wood). I probably put 100-200 rounds of mag and 800-1000 rounds of target loads through it a year.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    New A-5
    Winchester SX3
    Browning Maxus

I was in your same situation a few years ago. If you can get your hands on something you are interested to try out do it. I was dead set on getting a Benelli SB2, went out bought it and when I shot it with a trap load I realized I made a huge mistake. I know everyone is different but imo the SB2 was the hardest kicking gun I have ever shot even with trap loads. Now I have shot some BIG guns and imo that thing was ridiculous. I even had my hunting buddies shoot it too and all of them pulled the trigger once and said nope they wouldn't hunt it. I couldn't sell it fast enough.
    I ended up going with the maxus, shot a new A-5 the other day and fell in love.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've hunted a lot with a Benelli SBE for waterfowl, doves, deer, crows, and lord knows what else. So much so that the black anodization on the receiver has worn out in a lot of places and there is actually some actual wear in the aluminum on the receiver. There were several years where I killed at a minimum 100 doves, 100 geese, 50 ducks, and 50 crows with it. If I had to guess, that was from the year I bought it, 1997, to 2003. Met my wife in 2003 and hunting has been scaled back ever since.

I have also shot a Beretta 391 gas system since 2003 for clays, and that gas system is pretty similar to the system on the Extrema.

During the 17 years I have owned the Benelli, it has only given me a problem cycling twice, and both times were because of a dirty recoil tube from unburned powder and the cycling issue only happened on the coldest days in the blind. It wasn't too hard to fix. For the past two years, my bloody 391 has been giving me a fit. Finally took a 1/8" drill bit to the gas ports at length the other day and I need to take it out and see what it does. I had taken the same drill bit to it a month or two ago, but the gun failed miserably on December 26th. I really like how the 391 fits me and I shoot well with it when it cycles, but lately .......

End of the day, I am contemplating a Benelli Super Vinci because it is even easier to maintain than my SBE. The recoil spring is right next to the bolt. No need to ever screw around with a recoil spring tube in the gun's buttstock.

As far as Browning and Remington go, I have never bought a Remington and the last Browning I bought was around 1991.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I've hunted a lot with a Benelli SBE for waterfowl, doves, deer, crows, and lord knows what else. So much so that the black anodization on the receiver has worn out in a lot of places and there is actually some actual wear in the aluminum on the receiver. There were several years where I killed at a minimum 100 doves, 100 geese, 50 ducks, and 50 crows with it. If I had to guess, that was from the year I bought it, 1997, to 2003. Met my wife in 2003 and hunting has been scaled back ever since.

I have also shot a Beretta 391 gas system since 2003 for clays, and that gas system is pretty similar to the system on the Extrema.

During the 17 years I have owned the Benelli, it has only given me a problem cycling twice, and both times were because of a dirty recoil tube from unburned powder and the cycling issue only happened on the coldest days in the blind. It wasn't too hard to fix. For the past two years, my bloody 391 has been giving me a fit. Finally took a 1/8" drill bit to the gas ports at length the other day and I need to take it out and see what it does. I had taken the same drill bit to it a month or two ago, but the gun failed miserably on December 26th. I really like how the 391 fits me and I shoot well with it when it cycles, but lately .......

End of the day, I am contemplating a Benelli Super Vinci because it is even easier to maintain than my SBE. The recoil spring is right next to the bolt. No need to ever screw around with a recoil spring tube in the gun's buttstock.

As far as Browning and Remington go, I have never bought a Remington and the last Browning I bought was around 1991.

Had to quote you again Fabs. Sorry. I have the same experience though with less shooting on the Benelli. It was at the bottom of the nearly frozen flooded timber briefly in Arkansas while duck hunting and kept on shooting. Never a failure with it. My Beretta is a 301 and the gas system gives me nothing but problems. I am sure it can be fixed, but I just grab the Benelli all the time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Had to quote you again Fabs. Sorry. I have the same experience though with less shooting on the Benelli. It was at the bottom of the nearly frozen flooded timber briefly in Arkansas while duck hunting and kept on shooting. Never a failure with it. My Beretta is a 301 and the gas system gives me nothing but problems. I am sure it can be fixed, but I just grab the Benelli all the time.

If the 391 was my main hunting gun, it would be fixed or retired by now. Thing is, I have other 391 guns and o/u's to shoot clays with, so I put up with this BS from it. However, I think this is the last straw. If it does not cycle reliably after the reaming from the 1/8" drill bit through those gas ports, I think I will be looking at a Benelli to replace it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    How about a Mossberg? My hunting buddy has a Mossberg 935 Magnum that he loves. I love my 500 pump, not that the 500 is really in the same class you're considering, but that thing just plain works.

I've pinched my finger one too many times on a Remmington 870's little loading gate thing to ever consider getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom