Will New Maryland Gun Control Laws Affect C&R Holders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spartan1771

Bring me the gun of Rambo
    I just applied for my C&R about two weeks ago, so I’m still waiting to get it, but I have serious concerns about the upcoming Maryland gun control laws (as I’m sure everyone here does). Does anyone know if any of these proposed laws will affect C&R holders? Will we still be able to purchase relic handguns in the same fashion? Will Maryland still honor the C&R program? Or will it follow in the footsteps of states like New Jersey, where you can possess a C&R, but you can’t use it.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    states do not choose to honor or not honor C&R at all, they are not involved in it, period.

in NJ you cannot use it because certain state laws prevent you from being able to legally receive a firearm directly by mail without going through a dealer, in NJ even BP and antiques are covered by their laws.

nothing at least that ive heard, in the new laws will interfere with us legally getting handguns in the way we do now.

however, if the licensing requirement for ownership goes through, dealers will have to verify that you have an MD license on top of your C&R license. and while that sounds simple enough, my guess is that a lot of out of state dealers might choose not to sell to MD residents directly, much like they do with CA right now.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    states do not choose to honor or not honor C&R at all, they are not involved in it, period.

in NJ you cannot use it because certain state laws prevent you from being able to legally receive a firearm directly by mail without going through a dealer, in NJ even BP and antiques are covered by their laws.

nothing at least that ive heard, in the new laws will interfere with us legally getting handguns in the way we do now.

however, if the licensing requirement for ownership goes through, dealers will have to verify that you have an MD license on top of your C&R license. and while that sounds simple enough, my guess is that a lot of out of state dealers might choose not to sell to MD residents directly, much like they do with CA right now.

Well said :thumbsup:

In DC, which seems to be the direction of MD proposed law, an FFL03 can order C&R and comply with Federal law. There is an additional ‘state’ law requiring the owner to bring each firearm to the registration office to make sure it complies with local laws and registration.

Maryland law cannot supersede Federal law. However they can place their own hurdles.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    The only effect I can see is if the 10 rd magazine passes handguns like the Cz 82 with a 12 rd mag will either have to be shipped with no mag but more likely dealers will tell us that they won't ship those to Md. Like for California

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    From the documents you will get from the ATF:

§ 478.58 State or other law. A license issued under this part confers no right or privilege to conduct business or
    activity contrary to State or other law. The holder of such a license is not by reason of the rights and privileges granted
    by that license immune from punishment for operating a firearm or ammunition business or activity in violation of the
    provisions of any State or other law. Similarly, compliance with the provisions of any State or other law affords no
    immunity under Federal law or regulations.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Does anyone know if any of these proposed laws will affect C&R holders?

Yes. It will cause C&R holders who appreciate the Constitution to rally in Annapolis every time one of these bills comes up and send endless of streams of emails, letters and phone calls to legislators until these bills are defeated.

If the domestic enemies of Freedom (often named O'Malley or Frosh) win, it will affect this C&R holder by causing me to leave Maryland forever for the relative Freedom of Pennsylvania.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Does this mean you'd have to get a handgun license and register a C&R handgun if the new laws pass?

Looks that way:
    SB 281, Article 5–117.1.
    (B) A PERSON MAY PURCHASE, RENT, OR RECEIVE A HANDGUN ONLY IF
    THE PERSON:
    (1) POSSESSES A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE
    ISSUED TO THE PERSON BY THE SECRETARY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS
    SECTION; AND​
    (2) IS NOT OTHERWISE PROHIBITED FROM PURCHASING OR
    POSSESSING A HANDGUN UNDER STATE OR FEDERAL LAW.​
    I'm no politician so I don't speak their corrupted version of English, but I think I "receive" C&R pistols from the UPS man.

Again, that's why we have to fight like hell to keep the usurpers from usurping our rights.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Looks that way:

I'm no politician so I don't speak their corrupted version of English, but I think I "receive" C&R pistols from the UPS man.

Again, that's why we have to fight like hell to keep the usurpers from usurping our rights.

it says a person may "purchase, rent, receive" etc, doesnt say possess, so i think pistols already owned would not have to be registered.

not that they care, they already have records for most pistols bought in this state for years.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Whether it will or not, O'Malley's group won't stop with modern firearms. Fight these bills everyway you can. Call your reps, vistit them in Annapolis, use the links in my sig and show up at the rallys. It is incredibly improtant to be at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom