• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    So today I started a new rule. NO MORE taking guns apart for cleaning then procrastinating over several days to do something. Like a total idiot I misplaced my follower arm pin. Total rookie douche move. I know. I sure hope it wasnt a WW2 part. The gun is a CMP rebuild with all WW2 serial numbers. Hoping it was a new pin, im wierd about WW2 parts. Anyway, im ordering three from Fulton Armory and starting a Spare Parts cabinet/drawer system. Each gun will have some spare little parts and easily 'misplace-able' items.

So here is my idea. I LOVE shooting my Garand with iron sights. It has a NM barrel on it. But i saw this link, and thought what about turning it into a semi M1D whenever i feel like it. I will NEVER allow this gun to be modified or cut. What do you guys think about this mount?
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/scopemountw1-inrings.aspx

maybe this too for ha-has?
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/flashsuppressorprongedt-37.aspx

I want to keep it classic looking, no modern comps or rails. Ill sacrifice historical accuracy with the scope mount/rings/scope, at the prospect of NOT having to modify the rifle.

Interested in what my fellow Garand lovers think. This is to be a for fun type thing, not for competition or anything perminent.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I hear good things about that scope mount, other than the fact that if your sight serrations on the receiver are already worn, then it won't hold zero too well.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Do not Bubba your Garand. One of the beauties of the Garand design is it was built with target peep sights. They are more accurate than they need to be.

If you would like to build a M1D clone that is cool and the parts are available to do it right.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Do not Bubba your Garand. One of the beauties of the Garand design is it was built with target peep sights. They are more accurate than they need to be.

If you would like to build a M1D clone that is cool and the parts are available to do it right.

wouldnt that require modifying the reciever?

this wouldnt be 'bubba-ing' as the rifle would be returned to normal in about 18.9 seconds whenever i felt like it. there is no stock modification, reciever, anything. im somewhat of a Garand purist. i wont do anything i cant undo in less than a minute.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

this wouldnt be 'bubba-ing' as the rifle would be returned to normal in about 18.9 seconds whenever i felt like it. there is no stock modification, reciever, anything. im somewhat of a Garand purist. i wont do anything i cant undo in less than a minute.

Point made, point taken.:thumbsup:

I should have look at the username before posting.:rolleyes: It sounded like a newb question. I retract my previous assumption you were going to Bubba the rifle.

It you can make modifications that can be reversed, go for it.

The M1D conversion does require permanent modifications.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Don't add a scope to a Garand, unthinkable.

Unless it IS an actual M1D :innocent0

DSC07608.jpg
    [/IMG]

DSC00038.jpg
    [/IMG]

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Interesting idea. Part of me would want one of those to see what it can do at long range but I doubt you would be allowed to use it in any formal comoetitions though it would be interesting if you could use that mount provided you used a period correct scope.

One concern I would have would be premature wear on your serrations for your sight. The scope is heavy and only appears to be held by those two holes.

Neat idea though. I was just thinking the other night wondering if anyone had come up with a m14esq attachment for a scope on a garand. Now I know.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Interesting idea. Part of me would want one of those to see what it can do at long range but I doubt you would be allowed to use it in any formal comoetitions though it would be interesting if you could use that mount provided you used a period correct scope.

One concern I would have would be premature wear on your serrations for your sight. The scope is heavy and only appears to be held by those two holes.

Neat idea though. I was just thinking the other night wondering if anyone had come up with a m14esq attachment for a scope on a garand. Now I know.

Even back in the day they were very capable. I just watched a YouTube video of a father and son shooting a 1952 M1D at 1000 yards at an 18" target. They said the rifle wasnt modified in any way. That blew my mind I had no idea they were that capable.

The plan for this would be every now and then bust a few off with the scope. It's like what I did with my Colt HBAR. All the accessories on it, I can remove at the range with no tools. (Thumb screw ARMS mount) with a Nikon scope. I'm gonna do more research, but this might be a fun quickie project. One day I'd love a real M1C or M1D.

I'd like to become a Garand expert. As of now I'm still a very green rookie. LOTS to learn.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    M1 Garand 'purist'????

Leave the M1 Garand, "as-is". If anything, just put a NM peep sight on the rear and a NM front blade.

Want to scope something????

Get an M1A/M14 platform rifle and install a Sadlak Ind. scope mount, with Leupold MKIV rings and your choice of scope. (Nikon Monarch, BuckMaster; Leupold VX-III; Millett; Swarovski, etc.)
    :thumbsup:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

I believe the m1d mod modifies the barrel not the receiver. Problem is the aftermarket scope mounts (for the d) suck, big time.

I think Shuff's offers it as an option....

D's are not that expensive, (about the price of an M1a), accessories extra.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Never considered doing a psuedo M1-C/D build but have contemplated doing a mag fed M1.Part of me says leave well enough alone as I already have an M1A,but the other part of me says why not?Have an HRA receiver,bolt,sights,and most of the trigger group including a NOS housing,and a couple of spare stocks sitting idle.Thought it may be cool to do a .308 mag conversion using mostly HRA parts.Money wise going to cost more than a complete rifle is worth to build.OR build another standard M1 using the HRA receiver and Springfield parts and a used Criterion 30.06 barrel I have. I guess I can relate to your current quandry is what I'm trying to say.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    M1 Garand 'purist'????

Leave the M1 Garand, "as-is". If anything, just put a NM peep sight on the rear and a NM front blade.

Want to scope something????

Get an M1A/M14 platform rifle and install a Sadlak Ind. scope mount, with Leupold MKIV rings and your choice of scope. (Nikon Monarch, BuckMaster; Leupold VX-III; Millett; Swarovski, etc.)
    :thumbsup:

have you ever heard of an M1C or M1D? It came with a national match sight. i hated it, yanked it and put in a GI.

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna order the mount and see how i like it for a few range trips. At least the gun will stay exactly the same with no permanent mods.

To whom it may concern, Fulton Armory has a GREAT turn around. I ordered my parts last night after hours, and the email they sent me says i should receive everything tomorrow (tues) sometime.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    have you ever heard of an M1C or M1D? It came with a national match sight. i hated it, yanked it and put in a GI.

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna order the mount and see how i like it for a few range trips. At least the gun will stay exactly the same with no permanent mods.

To whom it may concern, Fulton Armory has a GREAT turn around. I ordered my parts last night after hours, and the email they sent me says i should receive everything tomorrow (tues) sometime.

Yes, I've heard of the M1C and M1D.
    Anyone that's been around the M1 Garand longer than 2 days, has heard of the M1C/M1D variants.:innocent0

As far as Fulton is concerned. . . . . congratulations. You are the exception to the rule.
    I've seen/heard/experienced different results.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Yes, I've heard of the M1C and M1D.
    Anyone that's been around the M1 Garand longer than 2 days, has heard of the M1C/M1D variants.:innocent0

As far as Fulton is concerned. . . . . congratulations. You are the exception to the rule.
    I've seen/heard/experienced different results.

Yikes. I guess I got lucky! Glad they are only $2.95 a pop. Christmas has me low on cash this year. Headed to the range today and the only thing I can afford to shoot is black powder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom