long distance shooting. Where do I start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkncross1

Dec 16, 2012
    harford county
    I'm pretty new to shooting all together and am interested in getting into some long range shooting. I have a little bit of money for equipment, but I have no idea where to spend it. I also have no idea where to shoot in maryland that has anything over a hundred yard range. please advise.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    So, I must ask - if you are new to shooting and don't know where you can shoot long range - why do you want to? What do you consider long range? I don't mean to be an *******, I just want to understand your expectations to answer correctly.

As you made your statement - my suggestions in a stock AR15. Pretty much any will do and will get you out to 300-500yds. $1000 could safely buy you this setup.

If you want real long range (like some here shoot) you need much more equipment for the same job. Long range to most starts at 600-700yds and goes out to 1500yds. For that I would suggest a Rem700 or Savage. Tons of bells and whistles will get you above $3000 in no time flat.

First, figure out what your reason is...then find the tool for the job.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee

Good advice. Do you just want to plink at targets? Do you want to get into F-Class or High Power or Precision Rifle Comps? Your question will bring a broad range of answers since it is a broad question.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Personally I feel any fool can put together a decent high powered precision rifle by spending money. That will not help the real deficiency in accuracy. If you would like to build your skill, the answer is trigger time and instruction. For low cost training you cannot beat a Savage or CZ caliber .22 bolt. At 100 yards it will be challenging and inexpensive to shoot.

There is no reason to shoot +500 yards if you have not mastered 100 yards.

All my opinion, take no offense.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    There is no reason to shoot +500 yards if you have not mastered 100 yards.

All my opinion, take no offense.

I agree.
    If you have not acquired proficiency under 100m/200yds, save the long-range shooting for a later date.

LR shooting can be challenging and rewarding when you know what you're doing - which generally is built upon your foundation from 100yd shooting. LR shooting multiplies the error factor of EVERYTHING. You want to eliminate or control as many know variables as possible.

When you don't have a good foundation and are trying to learn to shoot distance "cold duck", unless you're very fortunate, trying to figure out why you are not getting shots on target is like trying to solve a Rubix Cube in the dark. You don't have the base training to control or know the know variables, and generally end up just fiddling trying to solve the problem instead of working methodically through a shortened list of variables.

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    All this is true I have slowly been going out further and further and can honestly say ( at least with the rifles I have) things change after the 300 yd mark. I do have to admit I would like to hit the 1000 yds mark one day but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I just want to do it to say, I've done it. Master the 100 yds first then start going further.

O, and welcome hopefully we aren't coming off harsh:wave:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    So, I must ask - if you are new to shooting and don't know where you can shoot long range - why do you want to? What do you consider long range? I don't mean to be an *******, I just want to understand your expectations to answer correctly.

As you made your statement - my suggestions in a stock AR15. Pretty much any will do and will get you out to 300-500yds. $1000 could safely buy you this setup.

If you want real long range (like some here shoot) you need much more equipment for the same job. Long range to most starts at 600-700yds and goes out to 1500yds. For that I would suggest a Rem700 or Savage. Tons of bells and whistles will get you above $3000 in no time flat.

There is a Savage FCP-K in .308 with a Nikon Monarch Scope for sale in the Classifieds for a decent price. That'll get you out to a pretty decent distance.

LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    It all depends on the money you have and how much interest you have? The longer range you want to shoot the more money it costs. Match grade ammo, high quality weapon, nice scope, etc....

Though I must disagree with a few earlier posts. The first time I ever picked up a rifle was in the military and hit every target at three hundred yards with a some old M16. Am I an exception to earlier posts????

I would think the best thing for you is to have a friend or family member that can take you out shooting. Could you possibly attend distance shooting match to see if that you are really interested in.

The earlier posts did seem a little harsh yet getting all POV is worthwhile!

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Also when first starting out as you are, Be sure to not get discouraged if you dont shoot as well as first expected. LDS is a skill that gets better with practice and trigger time. Make sure your fundamentals are sound and apply those to every shot you make no matter what yardage you are shooting at. Good luck and Welcome aboard!

Bo_G

Jan 6, 2009
    Cecil County
    While certainly no expert, I will give you my opinion. For "long" range my first thoughts combined the areas of cost (not just the rifle and optics), range and hunting. To get started I would first eliminate any of the calibers that are expensive to shoot or hard to find in rifle, ammunition or components. An example of this is the 6.5 x 284. While this is an awesome cartridge to shoot long range it is expensive not only in ammo but in barrel life. As expressed earlier, the more proper trigger time the better, and this additional cost would could turn out to be prohibitive.

My mind tends to go toward on of my favorite cartridges - the .308 Winchester in a bolt action rifle.

This cartridge can be found just about anywhere at a reasonable cost. Components if you start to reload for it are plentiful by just about all manufacturers and formulas to fill several pages in my log book. You can use it for any game in the 48 Continental States (maybe a little large for groundhogs, but I never worried too much about wasting a little meat on those guys). Most shoot admirably with most ammunition and can be absolute tack drivers once you figure out what it wants to eat. With the heavier bullets it is good to about 1000 yards at the range and will service you for a long time. You should get about a 5000 round life out of the barrel vs about 1,200 out of hotter cartridges like the 6.5 x 284.

Many have said that Savage makes some of the more accurate rifles right out of the box and for the money. I had a Savage hunting rifle that would consistently produce under 3/4" groups with not a whole lot of money involved.

While it costs twice as much, my best shooting .308 is a Remington 5R Mil-Spec. I upgrade it with a Jewel trigger, Badger rail and rings. I have shot many 5 round groups that are just one "slightly" jagged hole.

On a tight budget and just starting out I would look really hard at the Savage line and spend the savings on good optics.

Where to shoot? That depends on where in Maryland and how far you are willing to travel. I live in Cecil County and shoot at clubs in MD, DE and PA.

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom