• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I am a MD resident and wish to purchase a JP competition rifle (AR15 variant). Can anyone point me in the direction of a NoVA FFL who understands the nuances of current MD law, and therefore would process a long gun transfer for me? The transfer itself is completely lawful (rifle transfer in a contiguous state). I have a VA location where I leave all my "fun" items, so I wouldn't be bringing it into MD, so again, completely lawful.

Any help would be appreciated.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    I am a MD resident and wish to purchase a JP competition rifle (AR15 variant). Can anyone point me in the direction of a NoVA FFL who understands the nuances of current MD law, and therefore would process a long gun transfer for me? The transfer itself is completely lawful (rifle transfer in a contiguous state). I have a VA location where I leave all my "fun" items, so I wouldn't be bringing it into MD, so again, completely lawful.

I deal quite often with Virginia Arms. You might try contacting Bernie@virginiaarms.com to discuss what you would like to do.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

If your a MD resident then out of state FFL will only sell you “MD Compliant”. If that’s the case why don’t you just purchase from one of our IPs and save transfer fees? A few good ones in Rockville. Any special reason you leave your “fun” items out of state?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    va arms is a good shop, some competitive shooters work there.

is the jp you're looking at not maryland-legal? if so, thinking that's a no-go even if you don't plan to bring it into md, you being a md resident.

maybe call jp and see what md dealers they've shipped to, prob easier to find a md dealer that knows md laws vs an out of state dealer.

love my jp's!!! good luck!

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    A new JP rifle has a 3-6 month wait and costs $2500ish. I've got a line on a gently used one at an amazing price. I can't afford a new one, not to mention I'd miss the entire season waiting for it to be built. JP doesn't offer any heavy-profile barrels, so they don't even have a product that can be brought into MD. They also don't have any stocking dealers, they only sell direct, so working with an IP wouldn't get me anywhere. I do plenty of business with several of our IPs, and this was the route suggested to me by one of them, because there's really no other way to accomplish this.

I'll give VA Arms a ring and see what's possible.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have been using a FFL in Falls Church who handled all my transfers. He does it only by appointment, but his fee is $35. If you want his name and info, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So you want to purchase a Maryland non compliant AR. That’s a no no if you are a MD resident. I believe the following is still valid. You can only purchase long guns that are not banned in the state of residency. See below.

Attachments

• 5C507A72-3DBE-4134-825A-3D2FD15FF4D1.jpg
      5C507A72-3DBE-4134-825A-3D2FD15FF4D1.jpg
      143.4 KB · Views: 166
    • B06E5113-FAA5-4D15-8FD9-4A8C910C0E5C.jpg
      B06E5113-FAA5-4D15-8FD9-4A8C910C0E5C.jpg
      142.7 KB · Views: 169

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    maybe what jbb suggested is a good idea - have the complete lower shipped to a md ffl. i'd think that would be legal, and if not, don't do that. then have the complete upper shipped to your addy in va. of course the seller may not want the hassle, and shipping two boxes will be more $$ than just one.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t even think that would work. OP said JP doesn’t even make a Maryland compliant heavy barrel so FFL in Maryland won’t touch it. Maryland even screws you more by saying that a Maryland resident cannot even purchase a banned firearm to keep in another state. If you are a Maryland resident you are not allowed to buy it...regardless where it’s kept. You are knowingly buying a banned weapon.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Well dang. Looks like this isn't possible. Hooray for Maryland. Talk about overreach... regulating what we do and own even outside of state borders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom