MSP: we will require information on only a single handgun for HQL training exemption

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Where does he live? Where is his state of residence? Is he still a dependent? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does not matter. Handguns may be passed on by inheritance to Maryland residents who do not possess a HQL. This is because Public Safety Article Title 5 (Firearms), Subtitle 1 (the subtitle containing the laws on regulated firearms), contains a provision that specifies that Subtitle 1 "does not apply" to certain things, one of these being "(8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm. . ." This is not new language from SB 281, but longstanding law.

According to Maryland State Police Lt. John Cook, who heads the Licensing Section, "Because inheritance is generally exempted from the Subtitle 1, it is exempted from the HQL requirement." (Source: Email, Sept. 16, 2013)

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    Just curious if anyone has used an 80% lower or maybe even a polymer 80 pistol they built as the reason for a training exemption? If so did you have any issues she nice there are no serial #’s

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i guess you could, but don't know what MSP will do if you submit it that way.

The problem will be MSP will say we have no record of an unserialized home made regulated firearm.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I thought the point of an 80% lower was so that the po-po does not know about it. After you put it on a form and send it in, they know about it. They might accept it. I cannot see why they would not. But doing so defeats the point of an 80% lower in the first place.

Or so it seems to me. If I were the MSP I would gladly accept forms with 80% lowers, because its a de facto registration.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I thought the point of an 80% lower was so that the po-po does not know about it. After you put it on a form and send it in, they know about it. They might accept it. I cannot see why they would not. But doing so defeats the point of an 80% lower in the first place.

Or so it seems to me. If I were the MSP I would gladly accept forms with 80% lowers, because its a de facto registration.

^^^This.

When I went for my HQL, I provided the serial number for a gun that MSP already had in their system. They could check their records, find me there as the purchaser from a Maryland FFL...it put a pretty little bow around the whole package.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Except a record of nothing is well... nothing

If you have 6 unserialized firearms, which one is it?

Or is nothing the whole point?

And the statute doesn't require a MD purchased firearm. Only that it meets the description of a regulated firearm. Of course doing that allows MSP to have even more info about your firearms, as it's then in their system.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    IIRC registration of regulated firearms bought out of state before 2013 when you lived somewhere else was "voluntary." they have no record of those either. I also highly doubt that they have an easy way to look up serial numbers on 77rs before they were computerized. Chances are those colored forms are in a box somewhere not in a database.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    IIRC registration of regulated firearms bought out of state before 2013 when you lived somewhere else was "voluntary." they have no record of those either. I also highly doubt that they have an easy way to look up serial numbers on 77rs before they were computerized. Chances are those colored forms are in a box somewhere not in a database.

You would be very very wrong in your doubt, as we found out back in 2013, that MSP has a database of every firearm purchased on a 77R, the person that purchased it, and the serial number.

There are several members here who have tried to get MSP to correct their records because MSP fatfingered the serial number and shows a different serial number from what they actually purchased.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just curious if anyone has used an 80% lower or maybe even a polymer 80 pistol they built as the reason for a training exemption? If so did you have any issues she nice there are no serial #’s

Manufacturer = self
    Serial number = n/a or nsn

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The law states that to be exempt from the training requirement, you must supply information from a regulated firearm. 80% pistols are not regulated, therefore by law they would not meet the requirement.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You would be very very wrong in your doubt, as we found out back in 2013, that MSP has a database of every firearm purchased on a 77R, the person that purchased it, and the serial number.

There are several members here who have tried to get MSP to correct their records because MSP fatfingered the serial number and shows a different serial number from what they actually purchased.

I was going to say that some of the the numbers on my old 77rs are illegible. Who knows what they wrote down.

The one thing MD government is efficient about is a database of handguns? Things that make you go hmmmm.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The law states that to be exempt from the training requirement, you must supply information from a regulated firearm. 80% pistols are not regulated, therefore by law they would not meet the requirement.

Under Maryland law, any and all handguns (even those built from an 80%) are regulated. And as such, they qualify for use as an exemption.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Once you have made a completed firearm, it's no longer 80%.

It's now a regulated firearm by definition in the statute.

It's not how it started, it's the finished product that meets the definition.

Hopefully MSP would allow it even with no serial number of manufacturer as it meets the definition of the statute.

MD statute 5-101 says any handgun is a regulated firearm.

It makes no distinction on who made it or how it started before it was completed. Once it's a handgun, it is defined as regulated under the statute

5-101

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-101&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5

Attachments

• 5-101.jpg
      5-101.jpg
      3.6 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads