• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

Looking for a ring height to use on a Sadlak mount an M1A. It will be a 6-24x50 Vortex. I am thinking low, due to the height of the mount already. I know a cheek riser will be needed, but want to make sure the bell has clearance on the front handguard cover.

Q

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Interested x 3. Got the Archangel stock, so cheek riser is no sweat. Just got my Sadlak mount yesterday, and you’re right it’s pretty high as it is already. My scope choice is also the Vortex 6-24 x 50. I used extra high Burris tactical rings for this same scope on my RPR .308. There’s adequate clearance but I’m not so sure stepping down to the regular “high” rings would be an option. I don’t have a set to side x side compare.

I’ll be watching this thread.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    don't have your setup but this may help some

https://m14forum.com/m14/59342-scope-ring-height.html

got one of my M1A's with the old Leatherwood ART setup (kinda retro)

the M14 forum and CMP can provide a wealth of information..
    use them both a lot.

-Rock
    This explains how to measure. Thanks for the info, this may help the others but I’m looking for something more specific - just the answer (don’t want to show my work;) ). If I HAD all the items on hand, I could measure everything. Most of these items online don’t have sufficient dimensions of their products such to do the math prior to purchasing. I don’t have the scope yet, and I’m not removing the one I have already mounted on my RPR to mock it up on this rifle. I’m also not buying the rings in the hopes of them being the correct height when I’m measuring them, only to find out I need to return them and buy different ones. I’ll revise my inquiry on this thread to read:

“To anyone with a new Springfield M1A Loaded 6.5CM in the Archangel stock and using the Sadlak mount, using the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope - what height scope rings did you successfully use (& could you use lower ones)? “

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have a Springfield mount but I'm pretty sure they are the same height.
    I used Leupold 1/2" (medium I think) to mount a Leupold VX-3. I have about 1/8" of clearance between the scope and the rear sight.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a Springfield mount but I'm pretty sure they are the same height.
    I used Leupold 1/2" (medium I think) to mount a Leupold VX-3. I have about 1/8" of clearance between the scope and the rear sight.

How does front end clearance look?

Q

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How does front end clearance look?

Q

About 3/8", maybe a little less. I'd measure it but I took it off to shoot irons.

Be carefull ordering rings. Some manufacturers use space under the scope, while others use height to the center of the scope. For the latter, you would be looking for 1"

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have Nightforce medium height rings on mine as the mount sits quite high. These mounts are notoriously touchy.

IMO 6-24x is way to much magnification for the M1A, especially in an optic like the Vortex PST which gets soft past 18x. Consider a lower mag setup with better glass i.e fixed 10x SWFA HD series etc.

I’ve been using a 2.5-10x Nightforce NSX for several years and the magnification seems well matched to the gun. I know some guys who have used 3-15x Nightforce and Leupolds Mk4 with good success.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I have Nightforce medium height rings on mine as the mount sits quite high. These mounts are notoriously touchy.

IMO 6-24x is way to much magnification for the M1A, especially in an optic like the Vortex PST which gets soft past 18x. Consider a lower mag setup with better glass i.e fixed 10x SWFA HD series etc.

I’ve been using a 2.5-10x Nightforce NSX for several years and the magnification seems well matched to the gun. I know some guys who have used 3-15x Nightforce and Leupolds Mk4 with good success.

Soft as in fuzzy/blurry or light transmission?

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    What brand brand cheek riser/rest are people using? Voodoo has one, but the price is suspicious.

Q

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Badger medium height rings and Bradley adjustable cheek rest on the rare occasions I'm not using the iron sights. Plenty of clearance for the objective and enough clearance for the power adjustment ring on the back of the Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 scope.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Soft as in fuzzy/blurry or light transmission?

Q

IMO the Gen1s aren’t sharp past 18x, meaning the focus isn’t that good so it looks a smidge blurry compared to the same scope at lower maginifications. The Razor is much, much better at higher magnifications (and should be for the price). The Gen2 PSTs may be better...

I have several PSTs, the one thing I don’t like about them is the slight yellow tint. I do some photography and probably notice some things others don’t care about.

I use a Bradley Cheeks riser, it mounts up very tight. Haven’t adjusted it in years.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. For the Bradley cheek riser folks, adjustable or the non adjustable M1A version?

Q

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Seeing/finding this thread a little late.

On my beloved M1A, I'm using a Sadlak Ind. steel mount, and have a Nikon BuckMaster w/ side focus 4.5-16x40mm scope, sitting in Leupold MKIV medium rings.

CoyoteM1A.com cheekpiece/rest is what I use. I don't remember the height.
    Maybe 1-3/4". Just don't remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom