$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Those new stocks need some additional BLO. Rub it in once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year forever.

What are the muzzle and throat wear numbers?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No way on earth you will need 23 coats of BLO in a year on that stock

That is just what the old saying was for any stock finishing. My age is showing. It is meant to imply the intent of a good finish i.e. many thin repeated applications over an extended period of time, not a specific regimen.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Franken Rifle

Other than the receiver and the bolt which are IHC, I see Springfield Armory for the barrel, op rod, trigger assembly, and it looks like it has new rear sights. Not so sure the front sights are IHC either.

The barrel looks near new - (old) surplus parts? We'll see how she shoots. Muzzle reading 1+, Throat reading 2+

Attachments

• 20180802_215330.jpg
      20180802_215330.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 119
    • 20180802_214724.jpg
      20180802_214724.jpg
      174.6 KB · Views: 117
    • 20180802_214526.jpg
      20180802_214526.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 116
    • 20180802_214824.jpg
      20180802_214824.jpg
      162.1 KB · Views: 115
    • 20180802_214449.jpg
      20180802_214449.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 119
    • 20180802_215339.jpg
      20180802_215339.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 112

Orlando

That is just what the old saying was for any stock finishing. My age is showing. It is meant to imply the intent of a good finish i.e. many thin repeated applications over an extended period of time, not a specific regimen.

That's a old saying that was for oil finishes for furniture many , many years ago. It started getting repeated over and over and someone started incorrectly saying it for stocks. Nothing more than a internet rumor

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's a old saying that was for oil finishes for furniture many , many years ago. It started getting repeated over and over and someone started incorrectly saying it for stocks. Nothing more than a internet rumor

What is the correct procedure for finishing stocks with BLO?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    What is the correct procedure for finishing stocks with BLO?

Same as for furniture. The wood is the same. BLO is the cheapest finish. It takes a LOT of thin coats spread out over time. The old day/wk/mo addage isn't far from the truth. One coat a day for a week is definitely needed. I give up after about a week using higher quality pure tung oil but it could take more. There are vastly diminishing returns after the first half doz or so.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Looks like the CMP did you good, dreadpirate. They're rufurb work is usually top quality. You're definitely gonna enjoy shooting the new rifle. :thumbsup:

And do apply BLO to the new CMP stock - generously. At first the wood will be a sponge. You'll know when enough has soaked in and you can back off. ;)

4570inMD and I are headed to the CMP Advanced Maintenance Class in Anniston at the end of the month. We'll be building Garands to bring home with us. It should be a fun trip and a helluva learning experience. One of the questions on my list for the armorers is what is their recommendation for oil finish on the new furniture. We'll see what they say...

:D

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Other than the receiver and the bolt which are IHC, I see Springfield Armory for the barrel, op rod, trigger assembly, and it looks like it has new rear sights. Not so sure the front sights are IHC either.

The barrel looks near new - (old) surplus parts? We'll see how she shoots. Muzzle reading 1+, Throat reading 2+

Congrats, nice looking rifle. Mine has a similar mix of parts and a near new old stock barrel. Mine shot great. :thumbsup:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I hope BLO is boiled linseed oil, cause that what I bought at the h/w store. I also have tung oil; should I use that instead or in addition to? I put tung oil on mi M1 carbine, made look glossy.

I am super stoked about this rifle and my H&R Garand is also really descent shooter.

This makes me want to try my luck on 3 or 4 field grades; keep the best of four and sell the other three.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    4570inMD and I are headed to the CMP Advanced Maintenance Class in Anniston at the end of the month. We'll be building Garands to bring home with us. It should be a fun trip and a helluva learning experience. One of the questions on my list for the armorers is what is their recommendation for oil finish on the new furniture. We'll see what they say...

:D

Lucky dog!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I hope BLO is boiled linseed oil, cause that what I bought at the h/w store.

BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil. That's all you need. Scrub and rub. You'll have a nice finish on that virgin stock :thumbsup:

Lucky dog!

Yeah, 4570 and I got lucky when our names were drawn for this class back in January. We've been looking forward to it for a long time. :)

Don't think you overpaid for the rifle the CMP sent you. It will only increase in value. :thumbsup: We will pay pretty much the the same for the rifles we build in the class (plus the cost for the class, travel, room and board. incidentals etc. etc.) The experience will be well worth it! ;)

A few years ago, CMP Garands were half the price of today. I love the one I purchased back in 2011 and I'm sure looking forward to building another to add to my collection!

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Dsc03649 SNIP.jpg
      Dsc03649 SNIP.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 112
    • M1 Tree Dsc03725.jpg
      M1 Tree Dsc03725.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 115

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I hope BLO is boiled linseed oil, cause that what I bought at the h/w store. I also have tung oil; should I use that instead or in addition to? I put tung oil on mi M1 carbine, made look glossy.

I am super stoked about this rifle and my H&R Garand is also really descent shooter.

This makes me want to try my luck on 3 or 4 field grades; keep the best of four and sell the other three.

Tung oil was the original Garand finish. During WWII, BLO was substituted because the supply of tung oil from the Far East was cut off. There's no reason to use both on the same rifle. Tung oil doesn't oxidize as readily to a darker finish over decades as BLO does, and is supposedly slightly more resilient. But either is historically accurate and works fine on a Garand stock.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Tung oil is a PITA to apply. I am going the BLO route (not to mention the tung oil is pricey).

https://thefinishingstore.com/blogs/news/tip-boiled-linseed-oil-vs-100-tung-oil-as-a-finish

Bah.

I just dribble some pure tung oil on the stock with my fingers, rub it briskly with my hand, and wipe off any excess with a paper towel (which I tear up and flush). There is little to no excess anyway if you don't over apply.

Never sanded between coats. This is a USGI rifle, not a credenza. You don't want it too smooth.

People really overthink this stock oiling thing. from what I hear, the original stocks were literally dipped in vats of oil, then left to drip dry without rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom