• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Anyone been shooting there? Good, Bad, otherwise?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    was there shooting a few months ago. you pretty much need a 4wd to get up to the actual range, but we made it in my buddy's audi q5. but a camry, jetta, accord or something like that may not make it up. 5+ years ago my bil had to park his geo way down from the range and load all his stuff on my truck.

it is just a wide open area, roughly 100 yds out and something like 6-10 benches/tables. really nothing special but nothing wrong. they do have a variety of steel plates up you can shoot at, and you can pretty much set up targets at whatever distances you want. i don't remember them having any target stands, some people had hammered wooden stakes into the ground to staple targets to.

if it fills up with shooters, they don't let you park on top so you have to schlep maybe 50 yards up and back with your gear.

they have a RO there but he pretty much stayed in his truck when we were there. a couple two or so tables from us (no one in between at that time) was standing pretty far back from their table shooting, such that muzzle angle could have been a problem, i asked them to move forward which they did but the RO never noticed or said anything.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Davsco summed it up well - definitely agree 4wd is needed to get up the trail unless you want to risk trashing your car (especially if it's been raining). Not extremely technical or anything but enough that a sedan likely wouldn't get up there (there were some rather deep 'puddles' on the trail last time I was there). We had a laser rangefinder and we were getting 94yds at the furthest steel plate where we were setup on the far right bench so I believe that's probably about max distance there as its kinda cut into the side of a hill. They do claim on their website it goes out to 110yds so maybe some benches are situated with some more distance. Range was clean and one RSO on site. Good number of steel silhouettes set up at different distances, which was fun for plinking. We used some wood pallets as target stands but I don't know if they were left by someone else or provided, so if you want something in particular I would bring it with you.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is that the one next to the BSA Camp Rock Enon? If it is, yes, 4wd is recommended. We saw mostly 4wd driving into it. It looked busy when we went to Rock Enon.

Q

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I was there camping and did not shoot. I thought it was too expensive.
    I can shoot when I am home for "free" with the clubs I belong to.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    This is where I shoot most of the time. I like it because it doesn’t get very crowded as long as you get there when they open at 9. I usually have the range to myself for a good 2hours before anyone shows up. As others have said, 4wd is highly recommended for getting up to the range.
    The cost is $17/day which is not too bad considering I’m generally there for 4 hours or so.

FYI. I’m a regular there and the grounds manager told me that they are currently working on a 750 yard range on the other side of the mountain. Should be ready to go by next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom