• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gary Gorski has filed a cert petition in his carry case Rothery, et al. v. County of Sacramento. Here is a link to the Supreme Court docket.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-121.html

I personally like Gary. He served in the Army, rides a Harley and is a great rugby player. He also is a good attorney

This is a link to his website
    http://www.lonewolflaw.com/Contact.html

He just filed his cert petition on Jul 26 2018

(Response due August 27, 2018)

This is really exciting there is a open Circuit split. Gary could get this.

Esq Appellate can you please take a look

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I always feel like a kid on Christmas morning when I see you post a new thread with a case cite!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think a State as the Plaintiff having had their world undone would be better, any thoughts on such a case?
    :innocent0

Yes, Mr Gorski has been talked about here, perhaps some of it unwarranted.

Was he the guy rumored to have shown up to court in a tee shirt once?

Anyway, it's a pure CCW case so I'm not optimistic. I'd prefer an open carry or a general carry permits case where OC or CC is not specifically an issue.

But the timing here makes it so likely Young is still precedent and hasn't been en banced.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Was he the guy rumored to have shown up to court in a tee shirt once?

Anyway, it's a pure CCW case so I'm not optimistic. I'd prefer an open carry or a general carry permits case where OC or CC is not specifically an issue.

But the timing here makes it so likely Young is still precedent and hasn't been en banced.

Jeans and a tee...

I didn't see Young mentioned in the Petition, Wrenn was. They can always get it into the Reply Brief...

I'm not feeling this one. Young with Hawaii petitioning would be as sure a bet for Cert as we have right now.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Jeans and a tee...

I didn't see Young mentioned in the Petition, Wrenn was. They can always get it into the Reply Brief...

I'm not feeling this one. Young with Hawaii petitioning would be as sure a bet for Cert as we have right now.

Also I thought Sacramento went virtual shall issue after they were sued by SAF?

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So now we wait and see what SCOTUS will do. In the mean time Young vs Hawaii will go on as well in 9CA. Would not be surprised at all if Hawaii ask for a En Banc review of the ruling and 9CA reverses the decision by the appeals court.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Rothery was distributed for the September 24th conference, but 2 days later a response was requested by SCOTUS, due October 1st. So this will NOT be at the Sept 24th conference, more likely late October at the earliest.

This does show *some* interest by the court, although it's a low bar. I don't recall SCOTUS NOT requesting a response in any non-pro se 2A petitions.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-121.html

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What do the rest of our legal eagles think about this? Do you think SCOTUS will take the case? If they do take it then it will be very very interesting to see how this plays out. Of course 9CA has always had to be slapped own by SCOTUS about 90% of the time and they always seem to be the black sheep of the system as well.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Good for Gary he has really worked hard on this. I am leaning towards no because Sacramento has been issuing a lot recently. That said I really hope they do.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Rothery was distributed for the September 24th conference, but 2 days later a response was requested by SCOTUS, due October 1st. So this will NOT be at the Sept 24th conference, more likely late October at the earliest.

This does show *some* interest by the court, although it's a low bar. I don't recall SCOTUS NOT requesting a response in any non-pro se 2A petitions.

This seems like a super quick request for response... 2 days. Esp during the summer. Someone is definitely paying attention.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This seems like a super quick request for response... 2 days. Esp during the summer. Someone is definitely paying attention.

I don't know if that's the case or a justice was looking for a while now. I actually expected the request to come at the conference itself. Guess it means the justices do work even in the summer.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    What do the rest of our legal eagles think about this? Do you think SCOTUS will take the case? If they do take it then it will be very very interesting to see how this plays out. Of course 9CA has always had to be slapped own by SCOTUS about 90% of the time and they always seem to be the black sheep of the system as well.

A lot may depend on the state/County responses. The county may claim they're in the clear because they're virtual shall issue.
    I wonder if they'll try to claim no split (basically not mention Wrenn or Young) or why the petition should be denied.
    IIRC, wasn't there an issue with the plaintiffs not being suitable (some defect)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom