• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kjp1231

May 17, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Hoe many times did you turn in your homework early?

Or at all? :)

I doubt they are procrastinating like me. I am sure that they are using every last second to use all of their creative writing skills as their aren't many facts they can quote. Otherwise they wouldn't need every last second to quote actual facts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    As soon as one side or another submits....doesn't the other side have access to it to form their rebuttal? Submitting early just gives the other side more time. Or am I all wrong?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    As soon as one side or another submits....doesn't the other side have access to it to form their rebuttal? Submitting early just gives the other side more time. Or am I all wrong?

Pretty much. But the state AG's office is busy with lots of items at any time. I cannot imagine much of anything getting done "early", regardless of topic.

The only question I have is whether we see this today or tomorrow. Depends on how it is filed and when.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Pretty much. But the state AG's office is busy with lots of items at any time. I cannot imagine much of anything getting done "early", regardless of topic.

The only question I have is whether we see this today or tomorrow. Depends on how it is filed and when.

Filing and service is done electronically The filing is timely if done before midnight. Sometimes late night filings are done just to finish it, get all the approvals, pull the tables and put it together. The grunt work associated with any filing of this size The rule applies in the law: the work expands to fill all the time available to do it.

Braxtonian

Dec 10, 2010
    Greencastle, PA
    all that logic about "they have a lot of work to do so they usually take all the time to do it" just doesn't make sense.

I used to always be on E and have to constantly stop for gas to put a few gallons in, only to be on E again tomorrow. My reasoning was "It costs too much to fill it up". My grandfather told me, "It costs the same amount of money to keep your tank full as it does to keep it empty".

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    all that logic about "they have a lot of work to do so they usually take all the time to do it" just doesn't make sense.

I used to always be on E and have to constantly stop for gas to put a few gallons in, only to be on E again tomorrow. My reasoning was "It costs too much to fill it up". My grandfather told me, "It costs the same amount of money to keep your tank full as it does to keep it empty".

Being out-of-state, as am I, have you gotten an interview yet? I haven't.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Filing and service is done electronically The filing is timely if done before midnight. Sometimes late night filings are done just to finish it, get all the approvals, pull the tables and put it together. The grunt work associated with any filing of this size The rule applies in the law: the work expands to fill all the time available to do it.

So a good metaphor might be that the states filing is a gas that expands to fill its container? I'll let you pick which gas. :D

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    It's fun to speculate. Guesstimate: 3-6 months after the last brief is filed. Closer to 3 than to 6. The Fourth is faster than most circuits.

Is the length of time from the last briefs to the time oral arguments are held because of a busy schedule at the CA?

I guess what I mean is why does it take 3 to 6 months from the time they read the briefs to when they next hear about the case?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Is the length of time from the last briefs to the time oral arguments are held because of a busy schedule at the CA?

I guess what I mean is why does it take 3 to 6 months from the time they read the briefs to when they next hear about the case?

When the briefs are finished and all filed, they are distributed to a panel chosen at random. Each of the judges on that panel then has to read them along with all the rest of the briefs assigned to that judge. Judges probably read literally thousands of briefs on hundreds of cases each year along with reviewing the precedent cited by the parties and their own research in each case. Law clerks (best and the brightest recent law school grads), read the briefs too and prepare bench memos. Some (a relative few) briefs are good and a pleasure to read. Many are crap. The court then has to assign an oral argument date. The court does not sit every day, or even every week so there is a continuous line of cases awaiting an oral argument slot. Each judge has to be prepared for oral argument and most if not all reach a tentative decision on the case after reading the briefs. After argument each day, the panel will sit and take a vote on each case and an opinion will be assigned. That vote may change as drafts of the opinion are circulated along with drafts of dissents or concurrences (if any). This is an important case. This will take awhile.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    A peep show is a human right, we need to fight this!

Ugh, can't wait for the 19th. I wanna see what the state feels is their grounds for an appeal.

(Apparently they're gonna try to fight the 14th amendment? Now the the 2nd is a recognized right, how could they possibly succeed?)

Wait! no one told me I was going to have to give up PEEP shows!!!

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    "The court discourages motions for extension of time and grants extensions of the briefing schedule only in extraordinary circumstances upon a showing of good cause"

So...

If Gansler, et al want to tapdance, they'll have to :::ahem::: show G&S???

:lol2:

Best humor and irony post in this thread pertaining to this case!

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    When the briefs are finished and all filed, they are distributed to a panel chosen at random. Each of the judges on that panel then has to read them along with all the rest of the briefs assigned to that judge. Judges probably read literally thousands of briefs on hundreds of cases each year along with reviewing the precedent cited by the parties and their own research in each case. Law clerks (best and the brightest recent law school grads), read the briefs too and prepare bench memos. Some (a relative few) briefs are good and a pleasure to read. Many are crap. The court then has to assign an oral argument date. The court does not sit every day, or even every week so there is a continuous line of cases awaiting an oral argument slot. Each judge has to be prepared for oral argument and most if not all reach a tentative decision on the case after reading the briefs. After argument each day, the panel will sit and take a vote on each case and an opinion will be assigned. That vote may change as drafts of the opinion are circulated along with drafts of dissents or concurrences (if any). This is an important case. This will take awhile.

esqappellate,

Thanks for the quick response and more importantly thank you for the inside look at how the court system works.

Most of us are mystified on the inner working of the legal system.

For example I did not know that the court does not sit every day or even every week. Now it makes a little more sense why things take so long.

One more question on that: When you say that they do not sit every day (or week) does that mean they are not sitting hearing orals? Or does that mean they are not at work at all?

I would be surprised to learn that they have a short 20 hour work week.

I would imagine that when they are not sitting hearing orals or voting on a case they are reading briefs, researching precedent, and writing opinions. Meaning that hopefully they are busy all the time and there are just a lot of case to get through and that is why cases take a long time. So I would hope the reason cases take so long is NOT just because they take their sweet time with them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom