• ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes, I think they bought BHW.

Ah, i see.

Regardless of what their quality might be, I think this stands as a good example of the "law as written" in practice.

And mind you, the 16 inch "Hybrid Profile" Criterion barrel is just over 2lb, less than 1oz less than a 16 inch carbine gas heavy profile that I have on another build. Hardly a lightweight to begin with.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ah, i see.

Regardless of what their quality might be, I think this stands as a good example of the "law as written" in practice.

And mind you, the 16 inch "Hybrid Profile" Criterion barrel is just over 2lb, less than 1oz less than a 16 inch carbine gas heavy profile that I have on another build. Hardly a lightweight to begin with.

Is this the one you mean? Would they engrave it HBAR?

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-mid-gas-barrel-chrome-lined/

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was originally skeptical of using one of these as an HBAR, but it's SOCOM profile and those are legitimately advertised as heavy barrels more than just here. Doing a pin and weld is annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

Incidentally, these MMC guys really did get the barrel contract, and produced them for about $115 a piece for the US military. $189 is not a bad price for an individual barrel. Supposedly pretty good shooters, too.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So what muzzle devces are you guys planning to use for your pin & weld? I see BCM has an extended A2 flash hider. What else works?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So what muzzle devces are you guys planning to use for your pin & weld? I see BCM has an extended A2 flash hider. What else works?
    Really depends on what I'm using the rifle for. I have a 9mm PCC with a 14.5" JP Supermatch barrel and JP comp, because that's a pure competition rifle and isn't getting suppressed. If it's something more tactical/defensive/etc., I would probably pin a SiCo ASR FH or brake so I could use my can. I could also see pinning in a VG6 Epsilon or Gamma (my favorite budget muzzle devices when I want a brake/comp).

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Can you please expound on this? Who is Criterion? I picked up two of these and as a resident of not so Merryland, should I concern myself with this? I mean hell, why not get a pencil barrel and have it engraved? Is an HBAR designated such because it meets or exceeds a specific weight? Would MSP or other entity actually weigh a barrel?

Odd questions? Understand that I *should* be met with skepticism given my post count/tenure here so I understand if there is reluctance to answer me.

Cheers,

Mark

Odd questions yes

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thought they might be construed as such. Why do *you* think they are odd? I'm curious...

Cheers,

Mark
    Let's put it this way. If your join date was somewhere in 2020, most people here might be left with the impression you were on a fishing expedition. Your questions were a bit...leading, shall we say.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

I had John Thomas pin a KAC NT4 flash hider to a SOCOM barrel for a Block 1 clone. He made a shim that put the barrel length right over the legal minimum, and it's a beautiful pin and weld. Hard to see unless you're looking for it.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Let's put it this way. If your join date was somewhere in 2020, most people here might be left with the impression you were on a fishing expedition. Your questions were a bit...leading, shall we say.

Yup, long time lurker. Typically I just listen if I feel like my contributions are drivel. I appreciate the responses knowing that my < 50 post count might cause justified restraint.

Cheers,

Mark

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other option.

File an Form 1. Wait a few weeks. Get stamp, put on 14.5" barrel and good to go.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup, long time lurker. Typically I just listen if I feel like my contributions are drivel. I appreciate the responses knowing that my < 50 post count might cause justified restraint.

Cheers,

Mark

When you have a bloated post count like mine, you can bet your sweet bippy there's a good dose of drivel within.
    :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The other option.

File an Form 1. Wait a few weeks. Get stamp, put on 14.5" barrel and good to go.
    This is generally how I do business, but I admit that I will probably be buying a general purpose 16" 5.56 upper just because it is getting somewhat annoying to constantly bug the ATF a few weeks in advance every time I want to go out of state to a different location than usual. (I file something like 20 5320.20s a year to cover various pieces of my collection going to various places ahead of time, and I STILL find that I have to file another from time to time.)

If there was no interstate transport notification requirement for SBRs, I'd say they were always the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom