• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    1 in 10! Why, it must be like the OK corral at every Christmas party! Those one in ten must kill nine out of every ten people they meet!

Shame the people who need to see segments like that go so far out of their way to make sure they don’t.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Wow!

Tucker Carlson just popped a story about folks carrying in Detroit, and the support they have from the Chief of Police.

Sounds like there will be Part 2 tomorrow night.

Permits or was it about folks carrying without permits just to survive and the chief is looking the other way?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    IDK about "long time" He used to be an anti gunner. He was converted just before his stint in Detroit.

Six years of national attention that I'm aware of, so I'll grant "long time" as being perhaps an incorrect choice of words.

If you can cite James as previously being anti, I'd like to see it. I'm not aware of that. Might actually be even better if he was.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Six years of national attention that I'm aware of, so I'll grant "long time" as being perhaps an incorrect choice of words.

If you can cite James as previously being anti, I'd like to see it. I'm not aware of that. Might actually be even better if he was.

Google is your friend...This is old news.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/01/motown-cops-case-concealed-carry-jillian-kay-melchior/

A Motown Cop’s Case for Concealed Carry
    By Jillian Kay Melchior

January 13, 2014 8:00 PM

Detroit police chief James Craig
    Detroit’s criminals fear gun-toting citizens, and that’s a good thing, says Chief James Craig.

Concealed weapons play an important role in deterring crime, Detroit police chief James Craig said to much fanfare at a news conference earlier this month. He recently elaborated on his statement, speaking by telephone to National Review Online.

Craig, a Detroit native, spent 28 years working at the Los Angeles Police Department before becoming police chief in Portland, Me. There, he had what he describes as “an ah-ha moment, a moment of reflection.”

“Because of my time in California, and knowing that it was rare for someone to be granted a concealed-weapons permit, I automatically went into the mode of denying the permits,” Craig says. His staff in Maine noticed and pointed out to him that the state has low crime and a good safety record.

“I started thinking about it, and the places I’d worked in the past had been certainly more violent than Portland, Me.,” Craig says. “Here we have a lot of good Americans or Mainers who have a concealed weapon, and we have low crime. . . . That must translate into [concealed weapons] having kind of a deterrent effect on violence, because it’s not like Maine doesn’t have people engaged in violent crime. It’s just not to the degree of other places.”

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I just watched it. Very nice perspective from a 'veteran' citizen.
    Great to see a Police Chief of a large city endorsing carrying. He knows the police cannot protect you in a time of immediate threat. Wondering if He shows up Saturday?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    yep. I liked it.
    Not promoting vigilantes, just asking people not to be victims. :thumbsup:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    yep. I liked it.
    Not promoting vigilantes, just asking people not to be victims. :thumbsup:

And encouraging them to carry legally.

I remember when he first enacted that "shall issue" policy - a bunch of thugs got a "taxpayer relief shot" and the media went into a mini-frenzy. The one I recall best was a 90 year old granny who smoked a home invader in her living room with an SKS.

Then the violent crime rate dropped like a rock within weeks, and many journos had very visible egg on their face.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Michiagn has been Shall Issue since 2000.
    In the 1999-2000 term, Gorchow said then-Governor John Engler signed a bill into law that indeed made Michigan a "shall issue" state.

The Michigan State legislators pursue preemption of local firearm ordinances. On September 27, 2017

Michigan has a regulatory scheme concerning firearms that places great limitations on how local governments are able to enforce alleged firearms violations. Michigan Compiled Law 123.1102 states that “[a] local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols, other firearms, or pneumatic guns, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state”. This means that local governments are not allowed to enact laws concerning firearms and pneumatic guns (bb guns or pellet guns), unless they are specifically allowed to under federal and/or state Law.

I dont remember the good police chief having anything to do with it, I could be wrong here. but I dont believe he was involved.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Michiagn has been Shall Issue since 2000.
    In the 1999-2000 term, Gorchow said then-Governor John Engler signed a bill into law that indeed made Michigan a "shall issue" state.

The Michigan State legislators pursue preemption of local firearm ordinances. On September 27, 2017

Michigan has a regulatory scheme concerning firearms that places great limitations on how local governments are able to enforce alleged firearms violations. Michigan Compiled Law 123.1102 states that “[a] local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols, other firearms, or pneumatic guns, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state”. This means that local governments are not allowed to enact laws concerning firearms and pneumatic guns (bb guns or pellet guns), unless they are specifically allowed to under federal and/or state Law.

I dont remember the good police chief having anything to do with it, I could be wrong here. but I dont believe he was involved.

Who said that he was instrumental in Michigan going Shall Issue? The fact that a Chief of Police of a major metropolitan city who was previously against citizen carry is now actively promoting it is the story.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Who said that he was instrumental in Michigan going Shall Issue? The fact that a Chief of Police of a major metropolitan city who was previously against citizen carry is now actively promoting it is the story.

Yes indeedy. That and the fact that none of the nightmare scenarios predicted by the antis - even in a place as violence-impacted as Detroit - have ever manifested themselves. It's a perfect case study in why the Maryland position on this is 100% backwards, wrong, and hopefully short lived.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes indeedy. That and the fact that none of the nightmare scenarios predicted by the antis - even in a place as violence-impacted as Detroit - have ever manifested themselves. It's a perfect case study in why the Maryland position on this is 100% backwards, wrong, and hopefully short lived.

The short lived ship has sailed but I hopefully we can say that MD's current permitting scheme is on life support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom