• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanleyJobson

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2021
    Another thing to think about is perhaps getting the young ones into Airsoft first. That's how I started off with my kids.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think airsoft or BB is great. I had BB guns from a fairly early age. No need for range trips to shoot them.

At 11, I shot NRA with a Remington 510 single shot that was my Dad's when he was a kid.

Another option is a 10/22 cut down. Lots of cheap wood stocks available to cut down or replace the cut down one when needed.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I think airsoft or BB is great. I had BB guns from a fairly early age. No need for range trips to shoot them.

OP, ^this^ is a huge and extremely important point!

The above reminded me that, once I’d demonstrated the ability to adhere to the Rules of Safety (and beyond, really) my parents / grandparents set me up with a bullet trap (beauty of those Daisy’s is you can get by with a cardboard box with a section of rubber foot mat, etc., tons of examples on YouTube) I was allowed to practice on my own. It was shooting on my own at such a young age that really solidified my for now life-long passion for and paramount priority of target shooting

…, I shot NRA ….

Semi-formal marksmanship exposure / training … ^Another thing^ I personally consider a “must” for raising kids, right up there with (take your pick of discipline) martial arts exposure and training, as early as practically possible!

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    For a firearm, a 10/22 seems like an excellent start. Light recoil, generally more accurate than the shooter, heavily customizable.

However, the BB suggestions are also perfectly valid, since practicing in your back yard is great.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hard to beat an AR, build it with them, easy to adjust for any shooter, and if you go with a 22 upper easy to handle with plenty of room to grow. Built a couple with my oldest boy, nothing beats the smile on his face shooting an AR he helped build.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Got this Marlin youth model for my son when he wasn't much older than 7. I added the sights, hand stop and sling swivel because he shot in indoor competition for a little while. Decided he didn't like it.

4LmyfeD.jpg

cfkadfC.jpg

Sirex