• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Tomorrow is the 15th. Curious to see if the first 1895 SBLs are released in the next week or so. I'm keeping an eye out but not holding my breath on snagging one anytime soon after they start shipping. Betting they will be rare as rocking horse manure for a while.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I hope they maintain the quality of the Marlins of yesteryear.

Love my "JM" stamped Marlins...both in .45-70 just in case a Tyrannosaurus Rex makes an appearance in Calvert County.

Attachments

• Both.jpg
      Both.jpg
      100.1 KB · Views: 307

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I hope they maintain the quality of the Marlins of yesteryear.

Love my "JM" stamped Marlins...both in .45-70 just in case a Tyrannosaurus Rex makes an appearance in Calvert County.

I guess we'll see.
    Ruger has stated though, that they will not be using the investment casting processes that they are known for in making new production Marlin rifles. That is, if Marlin forged a part, and the receiver was mentioned specifically and by name, Ruger will forge it in their production as well. They did say that one difference would be that the Marlin Micro-Groove barrels will be cold hammer forged in the new Ruger version of the new production Marlin rifles. That whole Micro vs. Ballard debate will likely have another wrinkle with the new Ruger entry.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I really wish they'd just crank out several thousand 1894's in .357 and let people get the gun they want. That one has been hard to find for as long as I've been buying guns.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I hope they come out with a version that has wood furniture and a threaded barrel. I resisted buying a marlin 357 because I always hated the plastic looking black stock or the cheap looking laminate stock that came on the threaded guns. I ended up having a full length gun in 44 mag cut down to 16.5 inches and threaded. I love shooting that thing and it’s awesome to hear the 300 gr bullets ring steel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hope they come out with a version that has wood furniture and a threaded barrel. I resisted buying a marlin 357 because I always hated the plastic looking black stock or the cheap looking laminate stock that came on the threaded guns. I ended up having a full length gun in 44 mag cut down to 16.5 inches and threaded. I love shooting that thing and it’s awesome to hear the 300 gr bullets ring steel.

Ditto. That said, I'll take what I can get, and a threaded 1894 with a 16.1-18" barrel in .357 is the top of my bucket list. A hot .357 is Maryland legal. Suppresses well. Suppresses really well with 38spc/subsonic loaded 357. Cheap to reload for.

Henry's threaded 1894 just isn't what I am looking for (I don't like the forward mounted sights and forward scope base).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Give me one one with a Magpul stock, MLOK forend, AR-style sights, threaded barrel, and a good 1913 rail for optics... in 458 SOCOM. Bonus points if it takes AR magazines.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I really wish they'd just crank out several thousand 1894's in .357 and let people get the gun they want. That one has been hard to find for as long as I've been buying guns.

This! Ruger must not be capable of meeting that level of demand yet. That's why their first release is a niche model. If they made 357 levers nonstop for 2 years straight, they would sell every one. We know it, they know it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    This! Ruger must not be capable of meeting that level of demand yet. That's why their first release is a niche model. If they made 357 levers nonstop for 2 years straight, they would sell every one. We know it, they know it.

I'm sure you're right about this. It has become very apparent in more recent years that it is no easy feat to build a quality lever action rifle. Remington thought that they could haul away dated Marlin machinery, leave experienced Marlin production personnel behind, plug in the machines and start cranking out rifles. It proved a disastrous miscalculation for Remington and for buyers alike.

The newly released 1895 will supposedly be followed by the (likewise) round bolt 336. Ruger is admittedly looking to build a correct manufacturing process, one that begins with an emphasis on model similarity, and one they believe will ultimately in sum produce quality rifles.

When they begin manufacturing the 94's in the pistol cartridges, all sorts of parts and processes apparently change. They acknowledged this, and seem to be trying to figure out how best to walk, before they even begin to think about running. This is no doubt a smart move, if it prevents them from taking the header that Remington did. Like the old cliche says, they're going to get one chance to make a first impression.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Agreed. My understanding is that the story of what was going on at Marlin was a little more complicated than "Freedom Group destroy! hur hur hur". Marlin was using machinery on its last legs with a great deal of tribal knowledge required to make those rifles. What Freedom Group was trying to do - but screwed up on - was move them to modern manufacturing processes using CNC machines, interchangeable parts, etc. I don't think this is entirely unreasonable, and, ironically enough, I heard that they were supposedly turning the corner right around the time they got shut down.

People are kidding themselves if they think that Ruger will make rifles like Marlin did. I am sure that Ruger will execute better on that process changeover than Freedom Group did, but anyone who expects their new new Marlins to be hand-fitted masterpieces is going to be terribly disappointed.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Yikes! Ive been wanting a 444 for a couple years but that seems a little steep.

Meh, not that bad of an increase given the last two years IMO. The SBL was Marlin's priciest 1895 model pre-Remington liquidation (MSRP was $1,178 in 2019 per that year's catalog). The .444 model that year had an MSRP of $769.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Meh, not that bad of an increase given the last two years IMO. The SBL was Marlin's priciest 1895 model pre-Remington liquidation (MSRP was $1,178 in 2019 per that year's catalog). The .444 model that year had an MSRP of $769.

Wife got me a 45/70 for that $769 price last year

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    According to this review of the new 1895 SBL that just popped up, the MSRP is $1,399 for that particular model.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ruger-marlin-lever-action-1895-sbl-rifle/454876

Looks like the review noted above has been taken down. Wonder if they fouled up and posted it earlier than they were supposed to. The funny thing is the page with the "oops... there's a error with that link" message suggests the removed link under "recommended pages". :lol2:

Attachments

• SBL REVIEW link removed.jpg
      SBL REVIEW link removed.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads