• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I went on a journey from Rockville to Columbus, OH, and stopped off at numerous gun stores and big box retailers to and from.

9mm and 223 was in wide supply. Like, I could have bought as much of it as I wanted. 22lr was available, but absurdly overpriced (like, 400rds/$60). The ammo shortage appears to be over; we just need to wait for prices to come back down.

Powder and primers were a no-show, except for a lucky find at RSP for some powder. Bullets were a mixed bag.

I was in Augusta GA a couple weeks ago visiting family and every where I went the shelves were almost bare. Box stores, major sporting goods and mom/pop stores all the same and what was on the shelves was rediculas in $$. They did have 50 cal S&W mags for $100.00 per box of 20 good luck with that. I make my own for about a buck 50 each.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was in Augusta GA a couple weeks ago visiting family and every where I went the shelves were almost bare. Box stores, major sporting goods and mom/pop stores all the same and what was on the shelves was rediculas in $$. They did have 50 cal S&W mags for $100.00 per box of 20 good luck with that. I make my own for about a buck 50 each.

So what I am hearing is the ammunition shortage is dead. Long live the ammunition shortage. :lol2:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hope to see $0.25 but idk

No change in raw materials prices, yeah 25cpr is probably likely in a couple years. Much below that though is going to take lead and copper coming way down in price. The former is up about 20% or so over the last two years. Copper is up like 60-70%. Right now higher production costs from ammo factories running 3 shifts is also increasing labor costs. So all of that is getting passed along. On top of, of course some amount of taking advantage of demand to make some extra money at every step of the supply chain.

Dropping demand is only going to fix some of that.

I think raw materials prices will drop top, but that might take longer and might not. But just factor in inflation that is way up, etc. yeah, no $159 per 1k in my lifetime is likely. Now it could be we have what is effectively a cheaper price when you factor in inflation some day. 16cpr is way more than 9mm was 40 years ago. But factor in inflation it ammo 2 years ago was probably cheaper than it has ever been in history. But I won’t hold my breath on another “cheaper than ever in history once you factor inflation” happening any decade soon.

Come on ammo market, prove me wrong.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I hope to see $0.25 but idk

I’m thinking that will be the low end. I don’t think supply and demand have balanced out, I just think a lot of people have shifted towards their summer hobbies which has lessened demand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m thinking that will be the low end. I don’t think supply and demand have balanced out, I just think a lot of people have shifted towards their summer hobbies which has lessened demand.

Also, all those new gun owners have stopped buying and most have stuck the new gun away and gone back to their normal lives.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Also, all those new gun owners have stopped buying and most have stuck the new gun away and gone back to their normal lives.

I agree with you, my semi liberal neighbor just sold his gun back to the dealer he bought it from for half the price he bought it for. I took 5 boxes of 40 cal off his hand for 50 bucks. He shot it for his HQL and had not used since. He said he got caught up in the frenzy. Hopefully this is a trend and there is a glut of guns so we can buy them a cheaper prices.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Got e-flyers over the weekend for cases of 1,000 9mm for $400.00 before shipping or taxes (CCI / Speer “only 27 avail., limit of one per customer”) and IMI.

That’s $20 a box and things are headed in right direction for a change (although “this is just a summer phenomenon” may prove to be accurate :-( so,

this thread serves to remind me I need to STOP buying anymore guns (fer the love of Pete!) and start siphoning that money into a holding bucket for “if and when” we ever see 9mm for, say, $15/ box again …. Any friendly wagers?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I agree with you, my semi liberal neighbor just sold his gun back to the dealer he bought it from for half the price he bought it for. I took 5 boxes of 40 cal off his hand for 50 bucks. He shot it for his HQL and had not used since. He said he got caught up in the frenzy. Hopefully this is a trend and there is a glut of guns so we can buy them a cheaper prices.

Generators after a hurricane. Just sit back and let the market flood with new used guns

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Considering the CPI is up almost 6%. The largest spike since August 2008.

Hmm, any similarities between the summer of 2008 and the summer of 2021?????

Not a lot. Economy had just crashed in part due to heavy de-regulation over the previous decade in the financial and mortgage sectors that finally came home to roost just a few month earlier.

This summer getting over a pandemic, civil unrest and false conspiracies supported by the former president over a stolen election.

Not a whole lot in common there.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I see the bottom is finally dropping out on the MDS classifieds for ammo. Glorious.
    It's the worst of a capitalist system and the laws of supply and demand. I was one of those who was looking for primers, but didn't want them badly enough that I was willing to allow an online vendor gouge me for what they wanted - sometimes in excess of $100 per thousand.

I thought some of the prices on our classifieds were bordering on lunacy, and not only for ammo - I saw someone trying to sell a particular pistol for well outside of what I felt it was worth for what it was. They relisted it several times, finally reducing the price by $100. It's no longer there now - I don't know if someone bought it at that price, or if they simply decided to hold on to it given that there didn't seem to be any takers at that price.

It is what it is though - right or wrong, the "value" of anything is whatever someone else is willing to pay for it.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I see the bottom is finally dropping out on the MDS classifieds for ammo. Glorious.

Yep. That's why I believe the ammo shortage is coming to an end. One indicator is the glut of ammo posted in the classifieds, with the hopes of locking in at least a minimal profit for the Resellers before the opportunity is gone. JMO.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If the Republicans retake either or both houses of Congress next year we'll likely see cities begin to burn again...then there will be another rush to buy ammunition and guns. Maybe not as bad as what we've been experiencing but it will happen again to some degree.

The Left sees that torching cities gets the Democrats to move even further left and they won't squander the opportunity to do so again.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep. That's why I believe the ammo shortage is coming to an end. One indicator is the glut of ammo posted in the classifieds, with the hopes of locking in at least a minimal profit for the Resellers before the opportunity is gone. JMO.
    My tip-off was my journey to Ohio... the stores were overstocked with expensive 5.56 and 9mm that clearly was not selling.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Watching the supply on Midway.com and lots of 9mm staying in stock. Used to be they would get something in and it would be gone in a few hours. Now the stock persists, and they are offering free shipping.

Part of the reason I bought was bc of proposed MD State bill that would ban mail order ammo. Whatever happened with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom