• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    I am relatively new to MD Shooters, so if this has been discussed, I appologize. Has anyone ever tried to have a bill submitted that merely states that Maryland will recognize CCW permits issued by other states? I am startign the process to get my Utah permit, which is recognized by 34 otehr states including our neighbors VA, WV and PA. It seems that a reciprocity bill might be easier to get passed, but have the same effect as a true "shall issue" bill. Thoughts?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    flying_pigs.jpg

Honestly reciprocity isnt good enough for me. Why should I have to apply for another states permit to carry in MD. I live here. I pay a hell of a lot of taxes here and I want to protect my self and my family as I see fit. I want SHALL ISSUE from MD. Reciprocity after we have our own rights

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    same here, I would want to have our state to loose up..

Heck, If florida says I can carry there, I would think that maryland would let me :)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I actually think you'd have better luck just trying to get shall-issue MD CCW permits passed. And as we all know even that is a monumental task in this state.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I asked this very same question years ago and met with no positive response....it seemed like it might've had potential being that the die hard anti's could still claim MD wasn't a shall issue state.

But the one real obstacle is our not so dear friend, Senator Frosh, and no matter how watered down the bill is or back door we try to push it it's still going to need to get by him.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I believe most states (if not all) don't recognize reciprocity for non-residents of another state if the citizen does not have a CCW for the state they are a resident in. I believe they look at it as back-dooring and that if you don't meet their criteria to obtain the CCW as a resident then you just are out of luck. :mad54:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I asked this very same question years ago and met with no positive response....it seemed like it might've had potential being that the die hard anti's could still claim MD wasn't a shall issue state.

But the one real obstacle is our not so dear friend, Senator Frosh, and no matter how watered down the bill is or back door we try to push it it's still going to need to get by him.

Aaand I need a beer... :sad20:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I do think there's hope for Frosh to schedule a vote on this year's incarnation of sb420. He posted a letter about it on his blog, it was obviously brought to his attention enough to make him stand up and notice. F him and his 'red herring' post. No matter how much he hates the idea, he WILL CAVE if enough constituents and citizens phone and contact him. As with most politicians, I would guess that his career is far more important to him than his moral compass or his personal opinions. I say we do the fliers x5 this session and turn up the heat any other way we can.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I do think there's hope for Frosh to schedule a vote on this year's incarnation of sb420. He posted a letter about it on his blog, it was obviously brought to his attention enough to make him stand up and notice. F him and his 'red herring' post. No matter how much he hates the idea, he WILL CAVE if enough constituents and citizens phone and call him. As with most politicians, I would guess that his career is far more important to him than his moral compass or his personal opinions. I say we do the fliers x5 this session and turn up the heat any other way we can.

Amen. I'm really looking forward to keeping the pressure on him. We've got a game plan for him, and we learned a lot from the last "Flier Tuck" campaign. Hit him early, hit him often. At the very least, we'll cost him more money to keep his seat.

Hopefully there will be a word or three about this at the MSI meeting on Sunday?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    There is Federal legislation pending.

Which would have the effect of allowing Virginia and Pennsylvania residents to carry in Maryland.

This would make our position much stronger...if VA and PA residents can carry in Maryland, why can't our own people?

ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    I tend to agree with Spot77, which is why I rasied the issue. We would all prefer "shall issue." In fact, I would prefer anyone legally able to buy and own a gun to be able to carry it without a permit or surrendering your fingerprints. Unfortunately, the political reality requires us to consider compromise. As someone pointed out, if our non-resident permits from other states were recognized here, the anti's could claim that we were not a "shall issue" state while, as a practical matter, we could all get permits relatively easily and carry.

I hear the point about not getting a vote on this, but it might be worth a try. Someone could put in a bill and see what happens. Having a friendly legislator put in a bill is easy. I don't see the downside to running it up the flagpole. Gettign a vote on this would be easier than getting a vote on "shall issue" in any event...

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Maybe I don't completely understand, but how would you go about getting a carry from say Florida? Don't you need to be a resident of that other state?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Maybe I don't completely understand, but how would you go about getting a carry from say Florida? Don't you need to be a resident of that other state?

some states issue non-resident permits. work pretty much like a resident permit including allowing you to carry in all states that recognize the states permit

ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    Reciprocity might not have much of a chance in MD, but it has more of a chance than out right "shall issue." I am still in favor of having a reciprocity bill submitted and seeing what happens.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Reciprocity might not have much of a chance in MD, but it has more of a chance than out right "shall issue." I am still in favor of having a reciprocity bill submitted and seeing what happens.
    Rights for all should be the ultimate goal, but I'll be damned as a Maryland resident that my rights come second to an out of stater.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You guys do realize that the staffers of the anti-gun legislators read this site and that you're giving away our strategies for 2010, right?

I'm just saying.....:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom