• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    She's only got a 1 in 14 twist but shoots heavier bullet surprisingly well. I haven't tried and really heavy and long match bullets yet though. The 55 grain bullets seem to be the favorite. I'll see about getting some better pics up shortly.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Here's my Remington VLS in .243. 24" Heavy with a Simmons 44mag Turret 6x20 with Leupold rings and bases. I adjusted the trigger and floated the barrel.
    DSC_0207.jpg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Here's a better pic of the Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250. Tikka optilok bases, rings, and a Weaver V24 scope. This gun has the finest stock I've ever shouldered.

DSC_0210.jpg

Here is the best group at 200 yrds. Factory ammo federal 55 sierras I believe on a sumer evening with old Jim at Hap Baker. He had a Master SPort in .223 I believe.
    tikkagroup.jpg

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Good shooting Russ!

I started shooting those Fed 55 BTHPs through my Hart barreled .22-250, bought a couple cases and quit reloading for the .22-250 for years. It just wasn't worth my time to sit down and fool with the tedium and not appreciably better when I could get off the shelf. Their 40 grain loads shoot amazingly well too. I've got to get loading for it again though (after the fast-twist barrel swap), due to being swamped in once-fired brass.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here is the best group at 200 yrds. Factory ammo federal 55 sierras I believe on a sumer evening with old Jim at Hap Baker. He had a Master SPort in .223 I believe.
    tikkagroup.jpg
    Hey - are those powder burns on the paper? ;) Just kidding - at 200 yds, that's some dandy shooting! That's a group at anyone would be proud of

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Just picked up this beauty Thursday evening at Gun Connection...

003.JPG

Remington 700 5R Milspec .308
    Leupold Mk II 6-18x40 mildot reticle
    Harris Bipod

Alot of beautiful rifles and capable shooters in this thread, almost embarrassed to post. I have alot to learn about long range shooting and would love the opportunity to tag along
    the next time there is a match for a little "watch and learn" time.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Very nice 2ndMDRebel!!

Keep an eye out in the competitive shooting thread and come on down, bring the rifle and some match grade ammo and jump on in.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Remington 700 5R Milspec .308
    Leupold Mk II 6-18x40 mildot reticle
    Harris Bipod
    Nice setup 2ndMDRebel! :thumbsup:

You should be very well equipped to participate in some of the longer distance matches. :party29:

The only thing that *might* limit you is that the scope mount *may* be incorrect for longer ranges. Can't tell from here, but the base should have some slope to it, and 20 MOA is customary. This gives you a head start in your elevation, which is needed due to the .308 requiring 36-40 MOA "up" from a 100 yard zero to get on at 1,000. Many scopes will not have enough elevation left after zeroing to dial on this much elevation, and if the windage is not centered, it's almost guaranteed. If you didn't get a 20 MOA base, I'd suggest doing a quick swap out before you spend the time to zero.

If you bought it a GC, Dan knows all about shooting long range and it's probably a 20 MOA base already, meaning you should be in good shape.
    Alot of beautiful rifles and capable shooters in this thread, almost embarrassed to post.
    Don't be. The R5 is a great rifle and when you find the right ammo for it, will usually shoot right along with many custom guns. Make sure your action screws are tight (35-45 INCH pounds), quite a few Rems I've helps guys with lately have come through with very loose action screws.
    I have alot to learn about long range shooting and would love the opportunity to tag along the next time there is a match for a little "watch and learn" time.
    We're ALL someplace on the learning curve and no one knows it all. It's a very challenging sport and it IS a lot to learn. The next F-class match at Quantico will be announced, but is tentatively scheduled for Dec 7th.

There is another, less conventional match on the weekend of 11-29/30 that should be interesting as well, with UKD targets and movers. More info here: http://shootingforum.longrangeshootersofva.com/user/Discussion.aspx?id=131250

Good luck!:)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    2nd MD, did you pick that up after 6? If so, I was watching Dan do the scope adjustments on your rifle, that is a thing of beauty.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For solid, heavy duty aftermarket bottom metal, such as Badger, Williams, etc. in pillar bedded stocks, 65 inch pounds is the normal spec for a bombproof rig that will withstand a lot of abuse without changing.

For OEM stuff, and/or non-pillar bedded stocks, like Remington's relatively thin and usually alloy bottom metal, 65 inch pounds is more than needed to hold it securely and may break it, which is why I don't suggest applying that much pressure to a straight factory rig.

Even IF the OEM bottom metal will withstand more torque, 35-45 inch pounds is a BIG improvement over the 15-20 inch pounds where I usually I see them left.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ed - thanks. Sometimes it's hard to tell from a written review what's hype and what's real, and it's good that there's someone like you around who knows what it is what from experience.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Man I wish some long range gun ranges up here near Harford County. I can only shoot my Rem 700 at 200 yards targets, and only in the winter when the leaves are down. Otherwise it's 100 yards, give or take. Anyone know where those of us in NE Md can shoot at longer ranges?

Those are some nice paint jobs. I use ghillie rags on mine which can be a pain when operating the bolt. I've found a place that can Realtree coat it but it's out in Tx. Anyone up this way know a good painter?

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    Ok, so I'll add my modest addition to this thread.

0012548_r1_034_15a.jpg

Remington 700 sps
    Burris XTR rings
    NF base
    Konus Optics m30
    Karsten Cheek piece
    Blackhawk sling

Its not much to look at now but she serves her purpose well...

Last edited:

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    That's what I did to my HK91 E. Shell. I didn't want to try on the 5R until I knew how it turned out (I posted pics of it on another thread). It turned out much better than I thought. As for doing it to the Rem 700 5R, I'm still undecided. I have a bunch of $$ invested in it. I wonder how easy it would be to remove if you wanted to revert it back to black?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Here's a better pic of the Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250. Tikka optilok bases, rings, and a Weaver V24 scope. This gun has the finest stock I've ever shouldered.

DSC_0210.jpg

tikkagroup.jpg

Very nice! How's old Jim doing? I used to shoot there 2-3x a week when I was teaching (if they still have the pics in the trailer, I'm the guy in the orange T shirt shooting the PSS prone off an ALICE pack). Tell him Rich (the trumpet player from the Army band) said "Hi".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom