• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thanks for all of the info and thoughts so far. I am looking into Buffalo Bore and the Federal. I do not see why a .357 wouldn’t be plenty effective inside of 100 yards. To me, if you can kill one legally with a handgun the rifle should do just as good a job if not better.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Check out the specs on these loadings ...

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/357-magnum-125-grain-full-metal-jacket/

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/357-magnum-180-grain-lead-flat-nose-gas-check/

I bet either will do the trick. Although the top linked round will have more energy, my preference for hunting would be the slightly slower and heavier round in the second link.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ll check these out too.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Years ago(like 25) I wanted so bad to hunt deer with my 686 8 3/8" bbl, but I couldn't find any source stating I could reach the mark. I eventually sold the gun and bought a Wetherby 30-06.

I did some more digging and you didn't need to sell the 686. Aguila makes some .357 that makes 838 Ft-Lb. Now I have to edit my other post.
    https://www.aguilaammo.com/centerfire/#pistoltab

I have a T/C Contender with assorted handgun length and carbine length barrels so I should have noticed your quip. If you put a .22 Hornet carbine length barrel on a Contender with a pistol grip it would make the 700 Ft-Lbs. Maryland requirement. I wouldn't consider it humane but it would be legal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for all of the info and thoughts so far. I am looking into Buffalo Bore and the Federal. I do not see why a .357 wouldn’t be plenty effective inside of 100 yards. To me, if you can kill one legally with a handgun the rifle should do just as good a job if not better.

I agree. If a pistol only needs 700 fpe, why the jump in the rifle version?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Great thread!!!

I picked up some Buffalo Bore ammo last year just for this, i really want to hunt with my .357 mag rifle.

I think this ammo will do it.

It will, and 19c is documented as such in the example that Buffalo Bore publishes, which shows energy in an 18.5 inch Model 1894. Now of course we know that a 20 inch Tube (would be the length of OP's Henry, if not the carbine flavor ) should yield a bit more velocity (and corresponding energy) still.

"Yes sir, bought this ammo specifically to comply with Maryland 1200fpe law. Expensive too, but that's ok cuz it meets Maryland requirement!"

I'd be sure to have that manufacturer published spec as backup, if it were me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I did some more digging and you didn't need to sell the 686. Aguila makes some .357 that makes 838 Ft-Lb. Now I have to edit my other post.
    https://www.aguilaammo.com/centerfire/#pistoltab

I have a T/C Contender with assorted handgun length and carbine length barrels so I should have noticed your quip. If you put a .22 Hornet carbine length barrel on a Contender with a pistol grip it would make the 700 Ft-Lbs. Maryland requirement. I wouldn't consider it humane but it would be legal.

Information back then was kind of hard to come by unless you really knew where to look(no interwebz yet), and I didn't.
    I loved that gun. It was one of only two I have ever sold. The main reason I don't sell my guns.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Information back then was kind of hard to come by unless you really knew where to look(no interwebz yet), and I didn't.
    I loved that gun. It was one of only two I have ever sold. The main reason I don't sell my guns.

Now you have a reason to buy another one.:D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    It will, and 19c is documented as such in the example that Buffalo Bore publishes, which shows energy in an 18.5 inch Model 1894. Now of course we know that a 20 inch Tube (would be the length of OP's Henry, if not the carbine flavor ) should yield a bit more velocity (and corresponding energy) still.

"Yes sir, bought this ammo specifically to comply with Maryland 1200fpe law. Expensive too, but that's ok cuz it meets Maryland requirement!"

Yep, 1894 is what i have. Printing the info and putting in your hunting pack will most likely save a headache :thumbsup:

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Ammo & Ballistics 4 has three .357 Magnum (Rifle Data) loads listed two Winchester 20-inch barrel and one Federal 18-inch barrel, none of them make 1200 Ft-Lbs at the muzzle. I suspect the DNR police know what will and what won't.

Not exactly, most are not knowledgeable about guns or ammo, and even what has the ability to kill deer; since most are not hunters - but people that have a job enforcing game laws. There is no list of approved manufacturers for ammo that meet this rule.

From personal experience, just about ANY .357 mag fired from a rifle under 100yds, will kill any deer in MD..

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

I actually have the 20” Henry and an 18.5” barrel on my Ruger M77/357. Good to know there is something out there that is factory that I can legally use. I’m sure most any decent hollow point would do the job, but my luck would be to get checked by DNR and have to prove what I had in the rifle. I don’t need that hassle.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Even scoped, the Ruger M77/357 is such a lightweight carry. Would be fun to take to the field.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so... counterpoint. you're going to be executed by firing squad. you want them shooting you with a 357 or a 30-06? any will do the job but one has a higher probability of getting it over quickly. imo we owe it to our game animals to harvest them as humanely as possible so consider something stronger than a pistol caliber carbine and use this as an opportunity to buy another gun. even the .243 you mentioned has 50% more energy than 1200 fi-lbs.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I actually have the 20” Henry and an 18.5” barrel on my Ruger M77/357. Good to know there is something out there that is factory that I can legally use. I’m sure most any decent hollow point would do the job, but my luck would be to get checked by DNR and have to prove what I had in the rifle. I don’t need that hassle.

Right there with ya! That's a hassle that could make for a long (and potentially an expensive) day. Me, I'd have the flap off the ammo box, if not the box itself, and the printed spec both. With .357 in Maryland, best guess is it would be about being asked to show you're in compliance. Better a short and cordial conversation if possible, and one that ends right then and there.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Even scoped, the Ruger M77/357 is such a lightweight carry. Would be fun to take to the field.

It’s very handy. It has become my groundhog gun on the property. Does one hell of a job. Mine has a cheap Simmons scope that was on it when I bought it. That will eventually get changed to a Leupold VX1. Don’t need anything fancy but decent quality.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    so... counterpoint. you're going to be executed by firing squad. you want them shooting you with a 357 or a 30-06? any will do the job but one has a higher probability of getting it over quickly. imo we owe it to our game animals to harvest them as humanely as possible so consider something stronger than a pistol caliber carbine and use this as an opportunity to buy another gun. even the .243 you mentioned has 50% more energy than 1200 fi-lbs.

I understand your argument. The reason I have all pistol caliber rifles other than my AR stuff is because of my property. It is absolutely perfect for hunting and the deer are everywhere, but I do not have a far area to shoot anywhere. The absolute furthest I could ever shoot would be 45-50 yards. I would also rather not use a rifle round because of travel. While I have 20 or so acres of huntable land here at my disposal, there are other properties that border it.

I have had many higher caliber hunting rifles in the past. But I cannot really justify using a 30-06 for a 40 yard max shot.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I also have a .45 Colt Winchester. I could always hunt with that as well now. Buffalo Bore apparently makes some ridiculous 325 grain rounds.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    1200 ft-lbs is achievable with a 16" barrel and most hunting loads:

Try Cor-bon, Doubletap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore.
    Unless I’m reading this chart wrong, only 3 of the 8 loads listed reach 1200 ft lbs at all, all with 16” bbl & only one with 18” bbl. Based on this I’d have to disagree with “achievable with most hunting loads”.

Real-world good enough for deer? Probably. Difficult to comply w/MD regs? Definitely.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I understand your argument. The reason I have all pistol caliber rifles other than my AR stuff is because of my property. It is absolutely perfect for hunting and the deer are everywhere, but I do not have a far area to shoot anywhere. The absolute furthest I could ever shoot would be 45-50 yards. I would also rather not use a rifle round because of travel. While I have 20 or so acres of huntable land here at my disposal, there are other properties that border it.

I have had many higher caliber hunting rifles in the past. But I cannot really justify using a 30-06 for a 40 yard max shot.

Like "Uncle Joe" says, "buy a shotgun!"

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom