• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I have a scope on .45-70 Contender mainly because the bbl came with scope mount and no sights. My only scoped revolver ( .41 NM Blackhawk ) came that way to me , but them my eyesight is still holding out.

Contender here also, on the 10" .30 Herrett 4x Leupold, .357 Herrett 10" bull
    barrel 2X Leupold, still holding up..XP100 4X Leupold. Sorry a Leupold fan here..
    With some stout .357 Herrett 250gr Round Noses still works good, pretty whippy
    out of a 10" barrel.

-Rock

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    ^^^^ Which is why is sold my Ruger 44 carbine way back. The carbine only extended effective range about 35 - 50 yards. The cartridge then exhibited large drop values so I stayed with the revolver which I am effective to 75 yards and capable to 100. Anywhere I would use the carbine the revolver was effective. So why the extra size and weight? Additionally, loading hot the bolt out ran the cartridge lifter.

Indeed sir. And I absolutely see your point with the carbine, especially if you're more about wanting the challenge and accepting selective shots and content to pass shots on deer with a handgun rather than maximizing harvest potential by virtue of what firearm you carry into the woods nowadays. I enjoy both handgun and long gun hunting at different times for different reasons. I love to hunt period. Have for years. Telling though....of the deer I've harvested, be it hunting with handgun or rifle or shotgun or muzzleloader? Darned few of my deer or (more significantly) my opportunities have been in excess of 100 yards. The overwhelming majority.....well inside of 75. A few I recall being darned near in my lap. So with handgun, inside 50 for me becomes a definite maybe if the right shot is presented. My best guess is that what I attempt to describe largely been your experience as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom