• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I want a good scope for this stainless revolver. Primarily wanted specifically for deer hunting, though it will definitely see some target use also. I have never scoped a revolver, but my eyes aren't what they used to be either, and especially in low light conditions. So maybe it's time.

Am thinking 2.5 power.....maybe 4. Magnification (I THINK) is going to matter less to me than clarity, and light gathering ability, and target and sight on the same optical plane. But again, I've never used a scoped revolver in a deer woods. Maybe something else I should be considering?

Would want good quality glass with repeatable settings that can take the pounding of heavy .44 magnum loads. Would ideally want to keep the price under $500 or so, if feasible.

School me folks......recommendations on makes and models with which you've had success, and what I need to be thinking about and looking for here? Thanks!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I put a Weaver classic pistol scope on my Encore pistol chambered in .308 Winchester. Its been a great scope, and has taken the pounding of the heavy recoil that gun puts out. Its held zero, and is pretty clear glass as well. The eye relief is just right for a pistol. Some people like to use rifle scopes on pistol, but eye relief becomes an issue, and you do not want your eye close to handgun scope on a gun that jumps when you fire it.

The Weaver classic pistol scope uses Japanease glass (scope is made in Japan) and not cheap chinease like some of the other Weavers. They are warrantied for life.

I ended up putting a 2.5x8 power -the added magnification for longer if needed shots. The nice part about a variable power, is you can always turn down the magnification, and turn it up if needed. Ive been very pleased with the scope, and will buy more, as I add other barrels to my Encore collection.

Weaver makes the scope in a Silver finish, and a black one, so depending on the finish of your Ruger, you can use which you have, and have it will look nice too.

This is what the scope looks like:

185556.jpg

Here is a link to the scope on Midway USA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185556/weaver-classic-pistol-scope-25-8x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-silver

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm on my S&W 460. Like Deep Creek Rock, I like the variability in power although I use 4-6x power most often at the range for 100-200yd shooting. I got mine a couple years ago from optic planet under $500, it looks like they are $549 with free shipping now.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used one of the first 2x LER Simmons handgun scopes way back on my Super Blackhawk. Chrono'd velocity with a 240 grain SJHP was 1410 fps. The scope held up for well over 2,000 heavy rounds for a couple years. I didn't worry much about the magnification because past 125 yards trajectory takes on that all to familiar parabolic shape. This is one of the major reasons I found the 44 carbine not much better than the Super Blachawk, so I sold it. Point blank range with a 100 yard zero is 125 yards, give or take. At 150 yards the drop is over 8". This keeps the bullet within 4.0" of the line of sight. I used a Weaver no gunsmith mount and never had a issue with it - save one. The front clamp of the mount did leave a small mark on the barrel. No problem, I don't plan to ever sell it. And there were no holes drilled in the revolver.

With the 44 Mag pistol, zeroing at 125 yards gives a good deal of bullet rise before 100 yards so hold under would be necessary. You could tape a cheat sheet to the scope (I carry mine) if you want to move adjustments for different ranges. But with the revolver, precision can be a problem, not inherent so much as being able to do it. Greater power scopes magnify wobble a great deal. So always going to a rest would be necessary if you find the movement distracting (it can be, for sure).

I use a 7mm TCU Contender for 200 meter silhouette/steel. I use the Contender Weaver mount and a Burris 3x IER. I had a 2x7 on it but always had it on 3-4 power so it went. Plus it wasn't that good a scope.

Just contributing to the thread. Let us know how things turn out once you set your Super up.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I like Luepolds for handgun scopes. But if you do not absolutely need a magnifying scope, then maybe an Aimpoint red dot may satisfy your needs. I usualy try to keeps my shot to 75yds or less and my Aimpoint Comp has been sitting on my Super Redhawk for 17 years without a single issue.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I put a Weaver classic pistol scope on my Encore pistol chambered in .308 Winchester. Its been a great scope, and has taken the pounding of the heavy recoil that gun puts out. Its held zero, and is pretty clear glass as well. The eye relief is just right for a pistol. Some people like to use rifle scopes on pistol, but eye relief becomes an issue, and you do not want your eye close to handgun scope on a gun that jumps when you fire it.

The Weaver classic pistol scope uses Japanease glass (scope is made in Japan) and not cheap chinease like some of the other Weavers. They are warrantied for life.

I ended up putting a 2.5x8 power -the added magnification for longer if needed shots. The nice part about a variable power, is you can always turn down the magnification, and turn it up if needed. Ive been very pleased with the scope, and will buy more, as I add other barrels to my Encore collection.

Weaver makes the scope in a Silver finish, and a black one, so depending on the finish of your Ruger, you can use which you have, and have it will look nice too.

This is what the scope looks like:

185556.jpg

Here is a link to the scope on Midway USA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185556/weaver-classic-pistol-scope-25-8x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-silver

Thanks Rock! Might have to give that Weaver a look! If it's handling your .308Encore, it's handling something. And I'm with you on the Japanese glass. Been VERY impressed with the Bushnell Elite series examples that have that, but I have a couple of those on rifles.

Curious.....at what magnification are you strictly resting that Encore? I have zero experience with scoped handguns, but I'm thinking that reticle is dancing all over the place much above 4 power if hand held. True or no in your experience? Variables have come a LONG ways with clarity over the magnification range in good scopes......still, I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off with a straight power. I DO like the ability to keep magnification low and maybe dial up if needed, as you note. But again, I'm using scoped rifle experience and not handgun experience here. Are you hunting with your Encore? I don't see me reaching out past 75 yards, and would likely restrict shots to well inside of that typically. If you're hunting, you're typically running 2.5x?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I like Luepolds for handgun scopes. But if you do not absolutely need a magnifying scope, then maybe an Aimpoint red dot may satisfy your needs. I usualy try to keeps my shot to 75yds or less and my Aimpoint Comp has been sitting on my Super Redhawk for 17 years without a single issue.

That's an idea as well. This is another optical aid with which I have no personal experience. I did recently watch a guy shoot one at 10 yards. That dot sure does illustrate movement in one's hold! The guy seemed to be holding pretty steady in watching his hold.....damn near got dizzy watching the dot on that target though!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I used one of the first 2x LER Simmons handgun scopes way back on my Super Blackhawk. Chrono'd velocity with a 240 grain SJHP was 1410 fps. The scope held up for well over 2,000 heavy rounds for a couple years. I didn't worry much about the magnification because past 125 yards trajectory takes on that all to familiar parabolic shape. This is one of the major reasons I found the 44 carbine not much better than the Super Blachawk, so I sold it. Point blank range with a 100 yard zero is 125 yards, give or take. At 150 yards the drop is over 8". This keeps the bullet within 4.0" of the line of sight. I used a Weaver no gunsmith mount and never had a issue with it - save one. The front clamp of the mount did leave a small mark on the barrel. No problem, I don't plan to ever sell it. And there were no holes drilled in the revolver.

With the 44 Mag pistol, zeroing at 125 yards gives a good deal of bullet rise before 100 yards so hold under would be necessary. You could tape a cheat sheet to the scope (I carry mine) if you want to move adjustments for different ranges. But with the revolver, precision can be a problem, not inherent so much as being able to do it. Greater power scopes magnify wobble a great deal. So always going to a rest would be necessary if you find the movement distracting (it can be, for sure).

I use a 7mm TCU Contender for 200 meter silhouette/steel. I use the Contender Weaver mount and a Burris 3x IER. I had a 2x7 on it but always had it on 3-4 power so it went. Plus it wasn't that good a scope.

Just contributing to the thread. Let us know how things turn out once you set your Super up.

Thinking the same thing on the magnification side Magnumite. Rock is shooting a .308, and you're shooting a 7mm TCU. That's a whole different class of cartridge ballistics with a whole different trajectory curve, and am thinking a lot flatter and more usable range out of either than what a .44 mag can optimally provide. I'm seeing thick deer words here on my end.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm on my S&W 460. Like Deep Creek Rock, I like the variability in power although I use 4-6x power most often at the range for 100-200yd shooting. I got mine a couple years ago from optic planet under $500, it looks like they are $549 with free shipping now.

Leupold has always been the brand by which I've measured others. And I had a .460 in my hands at a shop last week.......have never shot one, and buying one has crossed my mind, but am thinking it might be more gun than I care to shoot. One thing seems certain though.....if your VX-3 is standing up to .460, it should yawn at .44! :) Thanks for your input!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a scope on .45-70 Contender mainly because the bbl came with scope mount and no sights. My only scoped revolver ( .41 NM Blackhawk ) came that way to me , but them my eyesight is still holding out.

Unless a single or bolt action "handrifle" , the main advantage of a scope for most revolvers is single focal plane for sighting. If you are going to shot ever offhand , or field expedient braced at typical revolver distances , you don't need a lot of magnifation. 1X is perfectly viable , and 2.5X is a bunch.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Understandable, Uncle Duke, that's cool. The TCU for me is a silhouette gun so not worrying too much about further range or tiny targets in between. I love handgun and have been shooting at longer ranges for years. I determined when I had a .223 Contender that if I have to shoot that far or targets that small, I'll use a rifle with a cartridge appropriate for the task.

My son and I a few years back hunted out in western Maryland in one of the rifle counties. We were hunting woods so I carried my Super and because he was beginning he used my Mossberg. The "late hunters" came in and basically moved in on our hunting area. Well we did end up perched on the edge of a power line cut out facing an area which scouting the day before showed had a lot of deer activity. That is far more distance than one realizes. I knew the drop on my Super was in the double digits, about 18" - too much for iron sights without a barred front sight. The 12 gauge, never mind. So we did wait there awhile knowing we would need to wait for deer to cross for a closer shot. We abandoned it about an hour later. We stepped off the distance and it was over 175 yards to the edge of the stream reeds we expected to emerge from. The edge of the opposite side woods was 50 yards further.

Now Deep Creek's .308 Encore wouldn't even breath hard at the distance. Nor would the 30-06 Ruger M77 we had with us every day afield since.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the related discussion of sight-ins , my preference is for close to line of sight at short to medium distances , and if I decide for a long shot , I'll presumably have time to think about holdover.

So for a scoped typical revolver , that would probably take the same as pistol cal / BP velocity rifles - 1.5 in high @ 50yd . In rounded off rule of thumb , that would make zero again about 75-80yds , and center of chest hold to at least 100. Betond that calculate or preferably test for your specific load. If you haven't practiced enough with your revolver to know where it hits at those ranges to know where you hit , you shouldn't shoot at game that far.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If it's a fast enough magnum ctg (handgun) , a 100yd zero will be 1.5-2.0 high @ 50 . I just prefer to have constant POI for the closer distances , as trade off for having to know seperate trajectories farther out.

FWIW , with modern rifles , it becomes 1.5in high @ 100yd , same reasoning.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Thanks Rock! Might have to give that Weaver a look! If it's handling your .308Encore, it's handling something. And I'm with you on the Japanese glass. Been VERY impressed with the Bushnell Elite series examples that have that, but I have a couple of those on rifles.

Curious.....at what magnification are you strictly resting that Encore? I have zero experience with scoped handguns, but I'm thinking that reticle is dancing all over the place much above 4 power if hand held. True or no in your experience? Variables have come a LONG ways with clarity over the magnification range in good scopes......still, I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off with a straight power. I DO like the ability to keep magnification low and maybe dial up if needed, as you note. But again, I'm using scoped rifle experience and not handgun experience here. Are you hunting with your Encore? I don't see me reaching out past 75 yards, and would likely restrict shots to well inside of that typically. If you're hunting, you're typically running 2.5x?

I bench my Encore for shooting at 100 yards, I run it at full 8x power, as I can clearly see bulleye on paper targets. For shooting deer you dont need to have it that precise. But as stated the nice part of a variable power, is the versitilty. For shooting a 308 even in a handgun form, the performance is pretty close to a rifle in a 15" barrel, which means several hundred yards is not out of the question- more magnification is a benefit in that case. My intent for that gun is for hunting, and silhoutte. My biggest issue is that you do see a movement with the higher magnification, and that Encore set up is really intended to be rest fired. In time I plan to have a pistol bench rest forearm, and stock built that will let me use a bipod in the field, and on the bench.

That being said, alot of handgun hunters utilize some form of a rest, to better their shot, whether its is a backpack, tree limb, bipod, or even your knee. If most of your shots are close range shooting, then a scope might not even be needed.

The Weaver has held up very well, and the price is pretty good. I also used one piece Talley mounts, that are rock solid as well. If Im not mistaken, I think Ruger includes scope mounting rings with Super Blackhawk Hunters, to use in the recess on the frame.

I considered a comparable Nikon pistol scope, but from all the product reviews, it seemed to have negatives. One of the biggest complaint was a "vortex" effect when running full magnification, and POI would change on highest setting.

You can also get the Weaver scopes in a lower power, if you think that would fit what you need.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I have a scope on .45-70 Contender mainly because the bbl came with scope mount and no sights. My only scoped revolver ( .41 NM Blackhawk ) came that way to me , but them my eyesight is still holding out.

Unless a single or bolt action "handrifle" , the main advantage of a scope for most revolvers is single focal plane for sighting. If you are going to shot ever offhand , or field expedient braced at typical revolver distances , you don't need a lot of magnifation. 1X is perfectly viable , and 2.5X is a bunch.

Leaning along the same lines BF44. Without knowing for sure because I've never run a scoped handgun, I'm thinking I'm going to find a very definite point where magnification might be more harm than good. Field expediant braced being key here, to your point. That single focal plane and a bit of light gathering in low morning and evening light is primarily what I'm looking for.
    Thanks!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    In the related discussion of sight-ins , my preference is for close to line of sight at short to medium distances , and if I decide for a long shot , I'll presumably have time to think about holdover.

So for a scoped typical revolver , that would probably take the same as pistol cal / BP velocity rifles - 1.5 in high @ 50yd . In rounded off rule of thumb , that would make zero again about 75-80yds , and center of chest hold to at least 100. Betond that calculate or preferably test for your specific load. If you haven't practiced enough with your revolver to know where it hits at those ranges to know where you hit , you shouldn't shoot at game that far.

Yep. Should be perfect for this cartridge. And yeah, the practice piece you mention is key, along with being selective. Even more so the case when it comes to hunting with handguns. Have long enjoyed it.....more about quality than quantity nowadays anyway. Thinking that scope might be a help. Thanks!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I bench my Encore for shooting at 100 yards, I run it at full 8x power, as I can clearly see bulleye on paper targets. For shooting deer you dont need to have it that precise. But as stated the nice part of a variable power, is the versitilty. For shooting a 308 even in a handgun form, the performance is pretty close to a rifle in a 15" barrel, which means several hundred yards is not out of the question- more magnification is a benefit in that case. My intent for that gun is for hunting, and silhoutte. My biggest issue is that you do see a movement with the higher magnification, and that Encore set up is really intended to be rest fired. In time I plan to have a pistol bench rest forearm, and stock built that will let me use a bipod in the field, and on the bench.

That being said, alot of handgun hunters utilize some form of a rest, to better their shot, whether its is a backpack, tree limb, bipod, or even your knee. If most of your shots are close range shooting, then a scope might not even be needed.

The Weaver has held up very well, and the price is pretty good. I also used one piece Talley mounts, that are rock solid as well. If Im not mistaken, I think Ruger includes scope mounting rings with Super Blackhawk Hunters, to use in the recess on the frame.

I considered a comparable Nikon pistol scope, but from all the product reviews, it seemed to have negatives. One of the biggest complaint was a "vortex" effect when running full magnification, and POI would change on highest setting.

You can also get the Weaver scopes in a lower power, if you think that would fit what you need.

Rock....do you know if the straight 2 power Weaver is Japanese glass also? You have a lot more capability in your .308 Encore. For me, and shorter woods distances with .44 mag, thinking straight 2 power might make more sense and might be the ticket. Probably won't know till I go, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

You're right about the Ruger SBH Hunter.....it is indeed supplied with rings. I appreciate your input here..........thanks!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im not too sure where the other models of Weavers Classic Pistol scopes are made.

Here is a link to Weavers classic handgun line scopes:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/optics/handgunscopes/classic/

It might not hurt to contact Weaver and find out where the specific scope you are looking at is made. Judging by the MSRP on the whole line, the prices are pretty close to each other, Id be willing to bet the whole line is Japan.

Here is Weavers contact via web:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/general/contact_us.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom