• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am primarily a old school wheelgunner, and one who also dabbles with semi's. I am thinking about buying a Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite .45ACP. Some thoughts regarding why:

1. I own a Sig Sauer P226 Dark Elite in 9mm. While I am not thrilled with the somewhat gritty and less than smooth first shot DA trigger that has a pull length from here to perhaps Australia, it is indeed workable. It also makes a whole lot of sense given the decocker/lack of manually operated safety DA/SA platform inherent to this pistol, and it's primary intended purpose. I do however very much like the newer SRT on subsequent shots, and am thinking that I may find my first shot objection to be more of a wear in/additional familiarity issue???
    2. The Sig P226 is rapidly convincing me that a meticulously cleaned and broken in semi-auto can be pretty damned close to dead nuts reliable. I have tried to get it to choke with different brand of ammo, mixed mag ammo, and my own hollow point rather than ball reloads that are all within specs, but are purposely loaded differently in terms of components and COL. So far at least, the damned thing has consistently eaten anything I have fed it! And no, heretofore, I have NOT been a believer in semi-auto reliability! NOTHING matters more to me in a handgun!
    3. I am much more familiar with the inherently different 1911 platform, and I love that platform. I am thinking that I might come to like this platform as well. I am also a fan of big bore handguns generally, having substantially more recoil than 45ACP, so that isn't an issue. I am not a big fan of polymer handguns.
    4. The Sig Sauer P226 has shown me that it is more accurate than I typically am with a semi-automatic pistol.

Who owns both the Sig P220 and the P226? Talk me into a P220....or out of one! Dark Elite? Heavier stainless? Not for carry. Something I'm overlooking here?

Please tell me the "why" behind your opinion either way.

Thanks folks!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I only have a 229 Elite Enhanced.

But I'm upset that you posted the thread title the same way Hog Sniper posts his for sale threads...because I was going to buy it from him when I saw the thread and thought it was his.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I own a Match Elite (S/S, 5"), an older West German made standard model and a 9mm 229. All three are great guns on their own merits. You won't regret owning a 220 in any configuration. Good luck.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Who owns both the Sig P220 and the P226? Talk me into a P220....or out of one! Dark Elite? Heavier stainless? Not for carry. Something I'm overlooking here?

I have a few of the aforementioned. :innocent0:

I personally feel the P220 points the best of any of the SIGs; however it and it's little brother the P225 are a bit of a dated design with their single stack magazines.

I would love to find one in 38 Super or 30 Luger.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Best of all worlds....

I have a sig 220 dark Elite.....SAO.

That takes care of all trigger problems and leaves me with a dead nuts reliable 45.

the 220 points like a dream. Add some ultra slim hogues to it (if you have medium or small hands) and it's unbeatable.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I have a few of the aforementioned. :innocent0:

I personally feel the P220 points the best of any of the SIGs; however it and it's little brother the P225 are a bit of a dated design with their single stack magazines.

I would love to find one in 38 Super or 30 Luger.

Don't discount your point, but what's dated on the one side is also time tested on the other. Time tested is something I've always liked. You ever had any reliability issues with your 220? Curious also what you see as being out there in a double stack that would make you consider parting with your 220?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I own a couple of Sigs myself. :innocent0
    And IMO, you can't go wrong by adding another one to your collection.
    Bruce at Grayguns can smooth out those trigger issues you're talking about.
    http://grayguns.com/

Some of what I attempted to describe is abating with wearing in. Not the seemingly forever DA travel length though, but I'm not aware that that's something that can be addressed. If I'm not on the right track with that thought, please let me know.

Kevin0427

Jun 10, 2013
    My father has both a p220 and a p226. The 220 is just a regular 220 with some Houge grips on it. The 226 is the blackwater edition that he came across for a good price. Out of all of his handguns that I have shot, I have put the most rounds down range through the 220. I can only echo everyone else who said it points like a dream and it dead nuts accurate for me atleast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom