• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    As an aside, they also show IMR4064 in stock. I called their customer service dept. and asked if I could add this powder to my primer order since they had already waived the harmat fee on the primers. They said ok and let me add a quantity of powder to my primer order, also without hazmat. At $21.95 a pound and no hazmat, that's a steal for anyone who likes/uses this powder.

Good folks down there in the free state of Tennessee, and a company I've always liked.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    The powder is in stock or at least it was a couple of days ago. This was my first order from them and shipping was really fast. I got my order of 4064 on Wednesday I ordered on Sunday. I got this email about the primers and could not resist and ordered. Uncle Duke had the right idea however looks like I could have saved $30 to $40 between the hazmat and combined shipping if I waited on the powder.

I am pretty sure the primers were listed out of stock on Sunday.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How much are you guys seeing local Primer prices going up?
    I've only been reloading 2 years, but the empty box from 2 years ago had CCI Small Pistol @ $26/1000.
    I was in Cabelas DE yesterday and SPP were $39/1000

Not like a penny per round is earth shattering enough to not reload but just wondering.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How much are you guys seeing local Primer prices going up?
    I've only been reloading 2 years, but the empty box from 2 years ago had CCI Small Pistol @ $26/1000.
    I was in Cabelas DE yesterday and SPP were $39/1000

Not like a penny per round is earth shattering enough to not reload but just wondering.

$39 a box on SP is very high at present. At least for the near term, I actually see primers heading down in price. I also suspect that I'm seeing a glut in the primer market right now. There are a lot of primers on sale at the bigger supply houses recently. It appears that supply has caught up to.....and in a backwash of backorders......perhaps exceeded current demand.

Component pricing and availability can run in cycles. Back in February 13, I got caught short (like an idiot) on large pistol primers. I actually traded primers in a parking lot with another member here, as he was in need of SP. So we got each other out of a bind. But finding primers at any price for a period of several months in 2013 was like finding needles in haystacks. Supply and demand. IF you could find them, $35 to $40 was a decent price. Brass was the same way. Bullets too to a lesser extent. And powder, with rifle powder availability now ok on some brands and improving on others on the rifle side. It's pistol powder availability that's the current problem.

I was buying standard CCI pistol primers for $26 a thousand in 2012. Both Midsouth and Graf are currently pricing their primers back at that 2012 level. Trop in PA ran a July 4 sale that was lower than that. I'm thinking that there's been a recent release of a boatload of backordered primers. CCI was the last of the big 4 brands to show availability. With them back in a big way, primer availability will generally be all the way back.

How long recent pricing and availability lasts? Who knows? All it takes is an event that rattles the market. And that will happen. It's a matter of when....not if. We're not seeing a "first" here with the component headaches. Nor the last I'd bet.

Like they say, figure out what you'll need. Then buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Just bought the Hornady recently and picked up a bunch of primers at the same time....but didnt have the free hazmat shipping :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom