Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 6th, 2019, 04:14 PM #1
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Disability permit on public lands

Does it provide wholesale authority to use an ATV on public lands? I have been avoiding the closer to me public lands for deer season because I still need to use an ATV to haul out for the rest of this season while recovering from surgery. Physical therapist mentioned it to me, but I wasnít sure if it was ability to use all the way around for any park that allows shooting from a vehicle with a disability permit...
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 04:43 PM #2

Here is what the rule says.

Universal Disability Pass: Questions and Answers
How do I apply?

Click here for instructions on how to obtain Universal Disability Pass

Universal Disability Passes can be obtained from any Maryland Service Center

What does the pass allow?

The Universal Disability Pass is a free lifetime pass that does not require renewal. The Universal Disability Pass permits the holder and one other person free entrance to day-use facilities at Maryland State Parks and Forests, where there are service fees associated with entrance. This Pass does not cover automated gate entrance systems or service charges in the park such as camping, boat launch, rentals, bus parking, other concessions or special charges. Identification may be requested when the Pass is presented.

In addition to entrance into a Maryland State Park or Forest, the pass also allows those individuals who possess a valid hunting license to hunt from a vehicle in accordance with the following regulations:

A person who possesses a valid hunting license and who has a disability that impairs mobility may receive a permit from the Department to hunt from a vehicle. However, the person may not shoot or have a loaded weapon in the vehicle while the vehicle is on a public roadway or the shoulder of a public roadway.
Each person shall:
Have the UDP in their possession while hunting;
Keep the vehicle at a complete stop with the motor turned off while shooting, aiming, or firing the weapon; and
Have all weapons unloaded, including no ammunition in the magazine, while the vehicle is in motion.
A UDP holder may have a companion in the vehicle while hunting. If the companion is also a licensed hunter, they may not hunt from the vehicle.

In addition to any other sanction provided by law, the Department may suspend or revoke the pass if the UDP holder violates any provision of this regulation.
Application for Universal Disability Pass For Persons with Disabilities

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 05:00 PM #3

No. Some of the parks have designated disability access areas for hunting. If the area is posted “no motorized or off-road vehicles” that applies to everyone.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 06:21 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
No. Some of the parks have designated disability access areas for hunting. If the area is posted ďno motorized or off-road vehiclesĒ that applies to everyone.
This
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:38 PM #5
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Quote:
No. Some of the parks have designated disability access areas for hunting. If the area is posted ďno motorized or off-road vehiclesĒ that applies to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
This
Right, Iím not asking about all parks - just the ones that are listed as allowing hunting from vehicles. For example, I beleive Tuckahoe (the public land I usually hunt when Iím able to haul out physically, is one such land. So if I were to have a disability tag for this season and hunted there itís notnjjst being able to hunt from a vehicle (which I donít really need or want), but I could have the vehicle in the park to haul out the kill? I would think the answer is yes, but the FAQ John posted donít specifically address that.
Old November 8th, 2019, 12:47 PM #6

The parks that have disability access have a very specific portion that is open to hunting by vehicle. The whole park is not open to it and generally are no motorized vehicles/off road vehicles for the rest of the park.

So if you were hunting the portion that is disability access, yeah that should be fine.

I haven’t looked at Tuckahoe, but for example Patuxent has disabled access. It’s some fields and stuff covering like 100-200 or so acres mid park where the remaining 2000+ is no motorized vehicles allowed.

So you’d need to check maps.

In general, if it’s a trail, it’s going to be no motorized vehicles. The disabled access in most of the parks are often fields and stuff with dirt roads running around/through/between them. If it’s a park trail through the woods...it’s going to be no motorized access.

For what you are looking for, unlikely you’d be able to. Maybe. Give DNR a call, but the answer is probably going to be no. The setup is more for people who are paraplegic and must hunt from a vehicle and typically have someone else who can assist in retrieval.
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:12 PM #7
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Quote:
The parks that have disability access have a very specific portion that is open to hunting by vehicle. The whole park is not open to it and generally are no motorized vehicles/off road vehicles for the rest of the park.

So if you were hunting the portion that is disability access, yeah that should be fine.

I havenít looked at Tuckahoe, but for example Patuxent has disabled access. Itís some fields and stuff covering like 100-200 or so acres mid park where the remaining 2000+ is no motorized vehicles allowed.

So youíd need to check maps.

In general, if itís a trail, itís going to be no motorized vehicles. The disabled access in most of the parks are often fields and stuff with dirt roads running around/through/between them. If itís a park trail through the woods...itís going to be no motorized access.

For what you are looking for, unlikely youíd be able to. Maybe. Give DNR a call, but the answer is probably going to be no. The setup is more for people who are paraplegic and must hunt from a vehicle and typically have someone else who can assist in retrieval.
Thanks Lazarus! I wasnít thinking that the vehicle areas were limited. Oh well, Iíll trek to Westminster the rest of this season. cheers!
Old November 8th, 2019, 10:37 PM #8

Still worth a call. Worst that happens is DNR says the exact same thing and you’ve maybe wasted 15 minutes of your time. Best case maybe one of the parks near you is an exception.
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:07 PM #9
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Quote:
Still worth a call. Worst that happens is DNR says the exact same thing and youíve maybe wasted 15 minutes of your time. Best case maybe one of the parks near you is an exception.
Good point, Iíll ring up DNR Tuesday.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports