• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    A colleague of mine recently gave me a canoe she was no longer using. Its a 15' plastic job in relatively good shape. When I was taking it down off my truck, I noticed that it had a WSSC permit sticker on it. It made me wonder if I needed to register the canoe with Maryland's DNR. From what I can tell from the DNR website, as long as I don't have a motor I don't need to register the canoe. I live in Montgomery County, so as far as WSSC is concerned, I will need a permit to use WSSC watershed reservoirs.

My question is this: if I'm mainly canoeing in the Potomac river, I'm good to go with no registration - right? Any advice would be helpful. The last thing I want is to be out on the water with the kids and get a ticket.

Thanks

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Wssc and dnr completely different.

Wssc generally makes you buy a pass to use their waterways but no register your boat

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It's been 15 years since my last canoe...no permit needed then.

If we need DNR permits for canoes, it's long past time to get out of this sh*thole state.

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    Wssc and dnr completely different.

Wssc generally makes you buy a pass to use their waterways but no register your boat

Yeah, thanks. I saw the WSSC sticker and it made me wonder about DNR. Call it battered Maryland resident syndrome. I'm always worried I'm not "in compliance" or don't "have my papers in order"! :sad20:

Thanks for the help, all.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Yeah, thanks. I saw the WSSC sticker and it made me wonder about DNR. Call it battered Maryland resident syndrome. I'm always worried I'm not "in compliance" or don't "have my papers in order"! :sad20:

Thanks for the help, all.

Be sure to have a whistle aboard too. The DNR officer who asked for registration paperwork on my rowboat (in error, mind you) told me I needed to have a whistle aboard to summon help. Whats next?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Be sure to have a whistle aboard too. The DNR officer who asked for registration paperwork on my rowboat (in error, mind you) told me I needed to have a whistle aboard to summon help. Whats next?

Every vessel needs a whistle and a life jacket ( 1 for every person)

I just attach a pos one to all my kayaks and canoes so there is no issue.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    That sticker is for Triadelphia reservoir. Another source of State funds. Other reservoirs require a sticker as well. Nothing (yet) for the Potomac, you need life preservers on your canoe for each person (duh), but surely, a fee is coming. Plus a parking fee at all access points. YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY MD!

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I hear you get a banjo when you register a canoe. I didn't have to register my kayak but I didn't know about the whistle rule either. Time to pick one up.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I hear you get a banjo when you register a canoe. I didn't have to register my kayak but I didn't know about the whistle rule either. Time to pick one up.

Thats west virginia. Here, they just take your money amd ask for more next time you re-register. Lol

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What does a whistle sound like when you blow it under water?:sad20:

Most boats float for a while before they sink so you usually have plent of time to use the whistle before the boat goes under unless your injured.

The life vest is also a great place to attach one. It's. 99 cent way to save your life, I don't mind the idea.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That sticker is for Triadelphia reservoir. Another source of State funds. Other reservoirs require a sticker as well. Nothing (yet) for the Potomac, you need life preservers on your canoe for each person (duh), but surely, a fee is coming. Plus a parking fee at all access points. YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY MD!

I know liberty requires the sticker but thats because of the blue green alge problem. Is tridelphia having the same issue now?

And when do they plan to implement the parking fee or was that bs?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    WSSC impoundments require the sticker -it's not a matter of algae, its been a long time. I'm only kidding about the parking fees, but when you see all the vehicles parked at access areas, some pointy-headed buereacrat might get ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom