• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Folks,

I got a Morrell "Yellow Jacket" supreme, which I thought would be a multipurpose target (i.e., for fieldpoints and broadheads) but when I unpacked the thing, it says "For Broadheads Only". I'm shooting a 200 lb. Excalibur Vortex. Will this thing stop the field points?

Thanks!

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I dont know if this will help but my dad has a yellow jacket hanging the basement he shoots with field points at 10 yards for sighting his cross bow but he is shooting a darton stinger at 160 lbs. He says he has shot about 50 bolts into it and it hasnt gone thru yet.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    My Bag style target stops my crossbow bolts just fine and they are easy to pull out -I think mine is called a Speed Bag - was like $39 at Dicks - I had a big foam target but impossible to retrieve the bolts -sunk up to their fletching.

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    My Bag style target stops my crossbow bolts just fine and they are easy to pull out -I think mine is called a Speed Bag - was like $39 at Dicks - I had a big foam target but impossible to retrieve the bolts -sunk up to their fletching.

I have got the Monster Bag from Dick's. I think I paid $25 on sale about a year and a half ago. They told me it wouldn't work for my 150lbs crossbow, but we have been using it regularly for the Compound Bows and Crossbows (target tips, no Broadheads). I couldn't be happier for the money.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    I always have ben told to use a crossbow bag for cross bow. Their is a lot more power in a newer crossbow over the best compounds out today. I would play it safe. nothing is worse then ruining arrows by smacking a concrete wall cause you shot through a bag.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    .. Their is a lot more power in a newer crossbow over the best compounds out today.

Are you sure about that? I thought it sort of evened out due to the longer and heavier arrows vs bolts (which I am not entirely sure of either).

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I'd be more worried about the arrow/bolt deflecting or shattering and causing shrapnel than just getting ruined if it hit a hard object like concrete. Arrows and bolts are cheap. Eye surgery isn't. Just a small concern of mine.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Speed they are about the same, energy.....the crossbow owns all compounds.

Hang on now, so if speed is about the same and you say crossbows own all compounds in energy then you must be implying that the bolts are significantly heavier. Is that really true? a 18-20" bolt is heavier than a 30" arrow?

To me it looks like the crossbows have significantly higher speeds (based on advertised speeds, unless those are like IBO and are practically unattainable) than compounds.

not trying to be argumentative... inquiring minds want to know.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Hang on now, so if speed is about the same and you say crossbows own all compounds in energy then you must be implying that the bolts are significantly heavier. Is that really true? a 18-20" bolt is heavier than a 30" arrow?

To me it looks like the crossbows have significantly higher speeds (based on advertised speeds, unless those are like IBO and are practically unattainable) than compounds.

not trying to be argumentative... inquiring minds want to know.

Here is a Strykezone 380 crossbow which is one of the fastest crossbows on the market.

Speed:380fps
    Power Stroke: 15.5”
    Kinetic Energy: 123 fpe
    Draw weight: 160 lbs
    Overall Length: 34.375”
    A to A: 19 3/16”
    Weight: 7 lbs
    MSRP: $749

Here is one of the fastest compound bows. Cant get it to copy but Kinetic energy on a Mathews Z7

Speed:330fps
    Kinetic Engery: 66.55 fpe

BTW bolts in general are heavier then arrows.

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    Just put 10 bolts in the $25 Monster Bag from Dick's with a Parker Tornado (340fps with 20" 400 grain bolts). The target handled it just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom