• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    If you were to buy a 10.5" .300 BO barrel today, what brand would you buy? Search engines spit out Mega and Mas Defense, but I've had zero experience with them. Currently I have an Anderson barrel on it and it works, but not as well as I had hoped. I think my gas port needs to be enlarged so it cycles the bolt more easily, but before I cut it I wanted to get a spare barrel. If I'm going to buy a new barrel, I might as well make it a higher quality one than the one I have.

The 10.5" length is not changeable as it is an SBR and that's what's written on the form and I have no desire to go longer because I'm waiting on my can to be released from ATF Hell.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    NOVESKE. Have one on my sbr 300 build and could not ask for more, well except to have been a little cheaper....

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    The 10.5" length is not changeable as it is an SBR and that's what's written on the form and I have no desire to go longer because I'm waiting on my can to be released from ATF Hell.

As long as you keep a 10.5 upper around there is no reason you can't go shorter with another SBR lower. That said, a 9" barrel will meet the Maryland 29" limits with things like the Vltor A5 RE and specific long stocks.

The sweet spot for 300BLK is ~9" but it makes for tough handguard selection. I found an AAC 9" barrel kit a few years ago and am very happy with it.

But if you have Noveske cash, get the Noveske!:party29:

Here is a 9" option:
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-9-ENHANCED-FLUTED-300-Blackout-Barrels-p/bcm-brl-9f-300.htm

BA is generally a good buy at moderate prices and covers a bunch of lengths:
    http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar-parts/ar-barrels/300-blackout.html

Faxon is another option:
    http://faxonfirearms.com/barrels/ar-15/300-blackout-whisper/

My opinion with respect to rank:
    Noveske
    BCM
    Mega/BA/Faxon
    Mas Defense

I own Noveske, BCM, and Faxon.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks, do they sell Noveske barrels without the gas block?

No. Not as far as I know and that was the one thing that kept me away from them(but I just recently put one on my 5.56 SBR with their "Switch Block"). I have a Rainier Ultramatch 10.5" on a 300 AAC SBR that I shoot suppressed. I did need to have the port opened, but the thing shoots real tight groups. All in all, for the money, it was a good purchase for me.

Be careful with shorter barrels(which you can legally add to your SBR as long as you maintain Md's minimum OAL). Some cans are not rated to shoot on barrels shorter than 10".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a 10.5" Noveske with their gas block. No problems at all super or subs.

Lord Chad likes the SLR Rifleworks gas block.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    No. Not as far as I know and that was the one thing that kept me away from them(but I just recently put one on my 5.56 SBR with their "Switch Block"). I have a Rainier Ultramatch 10.5" on a 300 AAC SBR that I shoot suppressed. I did need to have the port opened, but the thing shoots real tight groups. All in all, for the money, it was a good purchase for me.

Be careful with shorter barrels(which you can legally add to your SBR as long as you maintain Md's minimum OAL). Some cans are not rated to shoot on barrels shorter than 10".

I was also looking at Rainier barrels, but I thought I remembered someone on this forum saying something about opening the port. I guess that was your post :)

I have a piston kit I want to add to my setup. (To be specific, one of these: http://suparms.com/collections/retrofit-piston-kits) Which is why I'm thinking about opening up the port on my Anderson barrel (to practice for a higher quality barrel). On the Anderson barrel, the DI system works fine. The piston kit does not fully cycle with 300 black, even using supers. I know the piston kit works, as it works on my 5.56 set ups.

Also, my SBR is at 29.4" or so as it stands, so that's why I am making sure to get a 10.5" barrel. I do have a can in ATF wait hell that may help with the pressure problems, but I want to make it so everything works without the can.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was also looking at Rainier barrels, but I thought I remembered someone on this forum saying something about opening the port. I guess that was your post :)

I have a piston kit I want to add to my setup. (To be specific, one of these: http://suparms.com/collections/retrofit-piston-kits) Which is why I'm thinking about opening up the port on my Anderson barrel (to practice for a higher quality barrel). On the Anderson barrel, the DI system works fine. The piston kit does not fully cycle with 300 black, even using supers. I know the piston kit works, as it works on my 5.56 set ups.

Also, my SBR is at 29.4" or so as it stands, so that's why I am making sure to get a 10.5" barrel. I do have a can in ATF wait hell that may help with the pressure problems, but I want to make it so everything works without the can.

You are adding a less reliable system. Good luck.

Piston AR is louder when suppressed and it also can have early extraction timing issues.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    You are adding a less reliable system. Good luck.

Piston AR is louder when suppressed and it also can have early extraction timing issues.

I was hoping to reduce blowback and reduce the carbon buildup in my upper. But the extraction timing issue seems to fit perfectly with what I'm seeing. The bolt just can't lock back no matter what weight buffer or spring I have in the buffer. So I figured the gas port needed to be opened up.

Any opinion on that Gemtech BCG that has the suppressor/unsuppressed setting?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll look at Noveske when my can is out of ATF hell and can run a few options.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was hoping to reduce blowback and reduce the carbon buildup in my upper. But the extraction timing issue seems to fit perfectly with what I'm seeing. The bolt just can't lock back no matter what weight buffer or spring I have in the buffer. So I figured the gas port needed to be opened up.

Any opinion on that Gemtech BCG that has the suppressor/unsuppressed setting?

Thanks for the info. I think I'll look at Noveske when my can is out of ATF hell and can run a few options.

I would not open the gas port without knowing 100% what the cause is. It is possible for the gun to be overgassed as you describe it. Overgassing can cause extraction and bolt lock issues. If the gun unlocks too soon (Which is common with Gas Piston AR's), the casing pressure is still high enough to fight extraction which will cause short stroking issues. Examining the brass and measuring the gas port with pin gauges is how I troubleshoot this issue.

Almost all AR fouling comes from the chamber, not the Gas System. When you add a suppressor, the gas system design matters none in regards to the volume of fouling.

An D.I. AR will fire tens of thousands of rounds without cleaning. Just lube it well.

That adjustable BCG has 2 settings. IMO, its like having a vehicle with 3 gas pedal settings (Idle, 25MPH, and 55MPH). Would you want that?

There are way too many gun configuration, suppressor, and ammo combinations to say that a 2 setting adjustable BCG will give you a broad enough range to truly adjust the gun.

Regulating gas in the Bolt Carrier is also trying to regulate the gas on the high volume which is inferior to regulating at the gas block which adjusts gas to only allow LOWER volume into the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom