• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    buffalo-police-search-for-firearms-at-home-after-funerals
    Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derrenda said at a press conference last week that the department will be sending people to collect guns that belong to pistol permit holders who had died so "they don't end up in the wrong hands." The department will cross reference pistol permit holders with death records and the guns will be collected when possible, he said.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The more I think about it the more I like the idea of giving my guns away to freedom loving people before I die... sort of a final act of defiance. ... and before you guys start lining up for this great karma... let me state that I hope that it will be several decades from now. ;-)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    "Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derrenda said at a press conference last week that the department will be sending people to collect guns that belong to pistol permit holders who had died so "they don't end up in the wrong hands." The department will cross reference pistol permit holders with death records and the guns will be collected when possible, he said"

To me, this is the very definition of "ending up in the wrong hands"

Tell me again how registration doesn't lead to confiscation

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's almost like they are begging for bad publicity and a lawsuit, at the least it's another prime example of registration = confiscation that could help fighting private transfer bans. Still a good idea for a trusted relative or two to clear out firearms and valuable undeclared heirlooms before the probate process or any inventory begins anyway, this makes doing so more important.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only purpose of gun licensing and gun registration is to make gun confiscation possible!
    Tyrants can't steal guns that they don't know you have.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So if the police are literally going door to door to collect the guns of the deceased, what will they do when the widow says, "officer I have no idea where my husband's guns are"?
    Will they get a warrant to search the house, or the children's or grandchildren's homes?
    Will the widow face charges if the gun surfaces later?

What's the normal course of action for NFA items after the death of an owner? Assuming its not in a trust what happens?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I want to know how this issue trumps any other property ownership issue. There's laws in each state that delineates who owns property and how that property is distributed (and ownership maintained) upon deaths. NY must have a law that gives the state the property rights of guns exclusively, upon the death of the owner.:sarcasm:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Owning a handgun in NY requires a permit. At least they have a rational, repeatable permit process. I know many folks there who have permits.

This new process, while potentially capable of being abused, isn't necessarily bad.

I repeat...AT LEAST THEY HAVE A PROCESS WHERE MANY CITIZEN CAN GET A PERMIT AND CARRY.

How the "authorities" execute and mature this new process will be telling. It certainly does have potential to be done wrong/abusively. Frankly, there's lots of folks I'd prefer not to have/carry guns. I absolutely concur it's a right to own and carry.

Permit holders are vetted. I'm good with that. Whomever stands to inherit should also be vetted...IMO. How this plays out remains to be seen and will almost certainly be subject to close scrutiny now that it's on the table.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I was born and raised in Upstate New York. If you want to see how truly twisted we've become as a country, read the replies at the bottom of the article. It will blow you away. There's a comment about how the government GIVES us rights, 'why does an dead man need a gun?', etc. While the conservative responses argue about property rights and current laws protecting the heirs rights to the property, there's MANY, MANY comments such as the above, all based on emotion, nonsense and 'needs of a dead man'.

Absolutely amazing. :sad20:

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Don't let them in without a search warrant.

While they're getting the search warrant, determine the deceased's boating history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom