• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have always considered the war of 1812 and the Battle of Bladensburg, strange but interesting. I have never understood why we were at War to start with, we had our Independence, hell we were invading Canada.

Basically British aggression. From 1812 thru 1814 the British raided US shipping all up and down the coast. There were even British bases on some remote points of land and islands. Tangier Island in the lower Chesapeake Bay was one of the British land bases. From there, the pretty much controlled everything in and out of Baltimore, Annapolis and Newport News. They not only picked over cargo, they also impressed any sailors they claimed to have originally been British citizens.

I think the reality was they misjudged American grumbling about government; mistaking internal political discord/discourse for willingness to return to the empire. I think they fully expected the locals to welcome these landing parties giving them food, shelter, horses and other aid.

Historical note about the Ft McHenry siege - first recorded use of a frigate converted to shoot rockets at a shore target. Shooting flaming rockets from a wooden ship must have taken balls.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Basically British aggression.

Historical note about the Ft McHenry siege - first recorded use of a frigate converted to shoot rockets at a shore target. Shooting flaming rockets from a wooden ship must have taken balls.

Yeah, the British were still angry over the American Revolution. Quite embarassing when the most powerful nation in the world loses a prized colony brimming with natural resources to an upstart nation with only the semblence of a real army. At the outset, the British took this as an opportunity to bring America back under the crown. They thought that the silly notion of American independence would be short-lived folly.

The Congreve Rocket. Notoriously inaccurate, it was initially a source of terror to those being 'targeted'. Once the troops realized that they were relatively harmless, the rockets became more of an annoyance than something to feared.

OK boys and girls.....what do the British Navy in 1814 and Hamas have in common???

Last edited:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Yes you are absolutely correct and after all this time I still confuse Hamilton and Decatur for some reason. And Decatur was shot by James Barron. So The two Naval officers one killed by Burr, one by Barron..gets confusing.
    I understood Hamilton to be army/artillery. He did propose creation of what became the Coast Guard.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The War of 1812 fascinates me.

I'm not sure if this is an annual event or not but it looks interesting.

undaunted weekend

That looks really cool.

Do you mind posting the date/location/times in the thread for easier finding?

Battle 2014

Bladensburg is deep hood

Yeah I tried but the formatting gets screwed up when I cut and paste it.

Ironic, we can't even carry live muskets today to deter 'hood rats' to attend a reenactment.

For anyone brave enough to attend the event (I kid, should be safe enough and a lot of fun)... Here are some details:

John Bull Roast - Riversdale House Museum (4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD) will be the site of food, dancing, and merriment on the eve of the Battle of Bladensburg with re-enactors and local supporters. RSVP ONLY. Details on http://www.pgparks.com/page62803.aspx

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Let's try this

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      61.8 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics