Suppose you wanted to get an AK47 just for the heck of it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Good luck gettign an Arsenal for a reasonable price right now. Not sure why everyone thinks they are so fantastic?

I'd go Mak-90, if you want to convert it to a classic style you'll have to swap out some parts to get it to be 922r compliant. Trigger group, wood furniture, mags, all need to be american. Also the Norinco Mak-90s don't have a threaded barrel so if you want the classic look you'll have to have it threaded and attach a muzzle device of your choice, but it'll need to be american too.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A MAK-90 would not be my choice for my only AK. Lots of compatibility issues with accessories (some solvable, some not). I'd be looking in the direction of an M+M M10, K-Var SGL series, a known-good WASR, etc.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    A MAK-90 would not be my choice for my only AK. Lots of compatibility issues with accessories (some solvable, some not). I'd be looking in the direction of an M+M M10, K-Var SGL series, a known-good WASR, etc.

I got a '94 MAK-90 and no issues at all when converting to 922r. It's basically a new gun and a lot of fun to shoot. I replaced the trigger group, safety, shepards hook, gas tube, stock, grip, mag release, and FSB. Turned out great and as said no issues.

I'm assuming you don't own a MAK and so can't comment with any validity...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I sure hope you replaced a lot more than that, because safety, gas tube, shepherd's hook, mag release, and FSB are not "counted" parts and have no bearing on 922(r) status. Stock, grip, and trigger group is only 5 parts. Did your MAK not have a threaded muzzle?

That said, wtf was wrong with the magazine release that you had to install a new one? And what country of origin did you use? Did you rivet in a whole new trigger guard assembly, or just drill out the rivet for the mag catch itself and replace that?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Good luck gettign an Arsenal for a reasonable price right now. Not sure why everyone thinks they are so fantastic?

I'd go Mak-90, if you want to convert it to a classic style you'll have to swap out some parts to get it to be 922r compliant. Trigger group, wood furniture, mags, all need to be american. Also the Norinco Mak-90s don't have a threaded barrel so if you want the classic look you'll have to have it threaded and attach a muzzle device of your choice, but it'll need to be american too.

Because an Arsenal is a hell of an AK and people like owning them because Russia is where the AK originated. They also happen to hold their value very well.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I sure hope you replaced a lot more than that, because safety, gas tube, shepherd's hook, mag release, and FSB are not "counted" parts and have no bearing on 922(r) status. Stock, grip, and trigger group is only 5 parts. Did your MAK not have a threaded muzzle?

That said, wtf was wrong with the magazine release that you had to install a new one? And what country of origin did you use? Did you rivet in a whole new trigger guard assembly, or just drill out the rivet for the mag catch itself and replace that?

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments Check

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers Check

(12) Hammers Check

(13) Sears Check

(14) Disconnectors Check

(15) Butt stocks Check

(16) Pistol grips Check

(17) Forearms, hand guards Check

(18) Magazine bodies Check

(19) Followers Check

(20) Floorplates Check

That makes 11 parts just for good measure. Thanks for your concern. I was just stating what I moded out. The gas tube is the Ultimak, which rocks and I put a T1 clone on it. I can hit a 10" steel target standing at 100yds, which is gtg in my book.

It's the RAM extended mag realease (USA) and it works with my trigger finger, the mags drop right out. I use Tapco 30s. I drill out the old mag release and the new one has a threaded pin with a screw that attaches it. It also came with a rivet and ball bearing to set the rivet if you wantedto go that route. I like it a lot better than the standard. That's WTF

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Because an Arsenal is a hell of an AK and people like owning them because Russia is where the AK originated. They also happen to hold their value very well.

Arsenals are made in Bulgaria... not where it originated. Do you even own an Arsenal or are you just spouting rhetoric?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Arsenals are made in Bulgaria... not where it originated. Do you even own an Arsenal or are you just spouting rhetoric?

Your the one spouting off at the mouth about "S" you don't even know about. I suppose that's a good thing. Now everyone here can take your AK comments with a grain of salt.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Yes there are Bulgarian Arsenals and in my opinion they are just as nice as the Russians. They're a little heavier due to the machined receiver but they are damn nice. By the way. The machined receiver is why you pay a little more for the Bulgarians.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You are Awesome! I still don't see why everyone gets all hot in the pants about them. A guy I work with has a Rifle Dynamics Arsenal that he waited 20 months for, I got my MAK in about 2 months. He paid close to 3K$ for his (which came with a canted FSB and had to be sent back for another 2 months) and I paid 799$. While the RD Arsenal is way nicer looking they both shoot the same size groups and go bang everytime. If you like to sleep with your AK that's all good, if you want an AK that you can tinker with and not give a crap about and shoot and have fun with get whatever you want. That's what I did. Just sayin, numb nuts.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Rifle Dynamics doesn't make Arsenal AK's. Arsenal makes Arsenal AK's.

I have an SGL-21 and SGL-31. RD didn't touch either one of them. Both are marked from the Izhevsk factory in Russia. If someone were to buy an Arsenal today, they would be Bulgarian as the FIME group was split off from the Arsenal Company to handle the Russian side of the business.

The reason that I purchased Arsenals--twice--is that they are the most consistently well built commercial AK's available within my price range. More or less the Colt 6920's of AK's.

There are other AK's out there, certainly, but the Arsenal brand was, and still is, a very excellent purchase, mainly due to lower chance for a crap build, while still being a decent price.

Plenty of reviews on other websites, plus some excellent threads on this one that state this. This isn't some kind of state secret.

Gundahar

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments Check

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers Check

(12) Hammers Check

(13) Sears Check

(14) Disconnectors Check

(15) Butt stocks Check

(16) Pistol grips Check

(17) Forearms, hand guards Check

(18) Magazine bodies Check

(19) Followers Check

(20) Floorplates Check

That makes 11 parts just for good measure. Thanks for your concern. I was just stating what I moded out. The gas tube is the Ultimak, which rocks and I put a T1 clone on it. I can hit a 10" steel target standing at 100yds, which is gtg in my book.

It's the RAM extended mag realease (USA) and it works with my trigger finger, the mags drop right out. I use Tapco 30s. I drill out the old mag release and the new one has a threaded pin with a screw that attaches it. It also came with a rivet and ball bearing to set the rivet if you wantedto go that route. I like it a lot better than the standard. That's WTF

What muzzle attachment? you didn't state that in your original post--nor did you state handguards. on an AK, upper and lower handguards are counted as one part together. Also, the FCG only counts for 3 parts, and the stock and pistol grip count for 2. if you're using US mags that's fine, but as soon as a friend goes to shoot it at the range and puts in a surplus mag.....

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    You are Awesome! I still don't see why everyone gets all hot in the pants about them. A guy I work with has a Rifle Dynamics Arsenal that he waited 20 months for, I got my MAK in about 2 months. He paid close to 3K$ for his (which came with a canted FSB and had to be sent back for another 2 months) and I paid 799$. While the RD Arsenal is way nicer looking they both shoot the same size groups and go bang everytime. If you like to sleep with your AK that's all good, if you want an AK that you can tinker with and not give a crap about and shoot and have fun with get whatever you want. That's what I did. Just sayin, numb nuts.

There you go again talking about "S" you have no clue about.

Rifle Dynamics isn't Arsenal. Two completely different companies. The only thing they have in common is that they both reside in the same state.

Great...You paid $799 for your MAK....I paid $700 for my Arsenal SGL.

Great....You like to tinker with your AK's:rolleyes:....I wanted an AK I didn't have to tinker with. I wanted something that closely resembled a AKM.

I think you should just stop digging yourself into a deeper hole.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    +1 on Arsenal. I dont know anything about the platform and had always purchased/built AR's. I knew I wanted a good quality AK before the ban went into effect and chose Arsenal based on reputation as kind of a good representation of the platform. Like the previous posted said, I viewed it as a Colt 6920 equivalent.

I actually didn't know they were sourced out of Russia and Bulgaria. Learn something new everday..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom