Suppose you wanted to get an AK47 just for the heck of it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Suppose you wanted to get an AK47 because you probably won't be able to next year? Suppose you wanted to put something away in the safe in case one of your children or grandchildren would want it in the future? You don't want a piece of junk but you don't want anything totally tricked out. Suppose you just wanted a rock solid firearm and you thought that folders were especially attractive?

What would you buy?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    General rule: any AK that started in a foreign arsenal is a good value. WASR is the bottom of the barrel but still better than many domestic builds.

Arsenal is the go-to dealer, they sell mostly converted Bulgarians. The milled Bulgarian out right now is sweet if you are willing to spend $1400. If you want a folder, the 100-series poly folders are GREAT. Probably my favorite flavor.

If you really want a nice AK to pass along to your kids, look into pre-bans: Chinese in particular. But you'll pay dearly for them these days.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    General rule: any AK that started in a foreign arsenal is a good value. WASR is the bottom of the barrel but still better than many domestic builds.

Arsenal is the go-to dealer, they sell mostly converted Bulgarians. The milled Bulgarian out right now is sweet if you are willing to spend $1400. If you want a folder, the 100-series poly folders are GREAT. Probably my favorite flavor.

If you really want a nice AK to pass along to your kids, look into pre-bans: Chinese in particular. But you'll pay dearly for them these days.

I'm not sure I'm at the point of getting something cherry for the kids. Frankly, they are already getting some very, very nice stuff. The AK is simply because it will be banned and would be nostalgic. I imagine one of them taking it to the range some day and saying, "yeah this was my grandfather's."
    I do like the classic wood furniture simply because of the classic look. I like the idea of an actual military weapon (actual or clone) again for the classic effect.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    My Arsenal started out as a Saiga. Wish I still had it.

Not exactly sure why, but Arsenal decided to drop the SGL line... Saiga SGL conversions are now handled by FIME, which is somehow related to Arsenal: http://www.fimegroup.com/

Izhmash established their own exclusive importer, so I can only assume they raised their prices to Arsenal which may have led to their decision to focus on Bulgarian.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I do like the classic wood furniture simply because of the classic look. I like the idea of an actual military weapon (actual or clone) again for the classic effect.

These guys generally have a good selection, and great warranty support. They are also IPs on the forum... but located in MD so you'll have to pay sales tax:
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

Poly furniture is easy to swap for wood, if that's the look you want. I wouldn't go for any of the steel folders if you want to enjoy shooting it for more than a mag or two.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I would get one that was full auto. Quite seriously, long term investment, that's where it's at.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I bought an Arsenal SLR-101s in November just to have one. Not the biggest AK fan, just wanted a nice one for my personal collection. Glad I did, also happens to be the one I can afford to shoot right now while my AR's are in the safe.

CosmicP25

Jan 19, 2013
    Parkville
    These guys generally have a good selection, and great warranty support. They are also IPs on the forum... but located in MD so you'll have to pay sales tax:
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

Poly furniture is easy to swap for wood, if that's the look you want. I wouldn't go for any of the steel folders if you want to enjoy shooting it for more than a mag or two.

I'll be getting the Russian red one for my soon to be BIL as wedding present.

I agree with full auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom