• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I wonder if Fred still has '250 rounds' stickers on the 200round Privi plastic bulk packs. I told them twice that the packs only have 200 rounds in them and they never changed it. I half thought of buying one and then asking for the extra 50 rounds.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Fred's and I refuse to patronize that storw or any other that uses a log book.

This, plus reading about their "justification" poster about the ammo log just put another nail in their coffin for me.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Poor selection and treatment in Fred's and I refuse to patronize that storw or any other that uses a log book. Even TB doesn't do that. I go to TB to get ammo occasionally and to ********. Been to Accurate a few times and never quite felt welcome... TB owner is a moron of epic proportions so Im not defending him. D's owner was a colossal tool as well.

This x100. I have a friend who works at TB part time. Good mug. The owner is as stated pretty much a tool. Use guns are hit and miss. sometimes you'll find a good deal there, usually not. New guns, forget it. Ammo is usually higher than Wally World but Wally World is more miss than hit on availability in what I shoot.
    There is a small shop on rt 4 just off rt 5. The name escapes me right now. Very hard to find but the guy that runs it is a real good old boy. Hardly any stock but he'll order what you want. Hit or miss but every once in a while it pans out. I hear he once had a pretty thriving busines but he's had a long recurring fight with cancer that's slowed him down a bit.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Fred's has my vote. Wait about a week and Fred's will be putting out a special deal for md shooters members. I've been working with Joe to figure out how we are going to do it. Also, I'm going to be the first to start the rumour that Fred's will be opening an indoor firing range inside their store.....I've seen the blue prints and it looks really cool!

fred's idea of a special would be 10% over MSRP instead of 20%.

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    I'll believe it when I see it....the staff at Fred's has never treated me me with much respect and their prices are higher than they should be...but if you live in the Waldorf area they know that they are pretty much the only game in town.

Freds made me give them my drivers license to hold a pistol, then gave it back when I gave them the pistol back. I also remember them having a sign about a $100 no refundable deposit on pistols, so if you fail the background check they get $100.

F them, I wont even go in there anymore.

Mark at Accurate G&A and the guys at Keep Shooting are the only places I will go, I wish there was more.

Ds is just plain scary inside, about 2+ yrs ago he used to be someplace else and the shop was kinda cool, now he is in the shack, and had a pawn shop, the place is creepy, dark, overpriced, and there is no selection, the last and only time I was in there he had 3 guns, 1 black powder, 1 bolt gun, and 1 break action rifle. That shop is deceiving because he has all the industry logos on the windows like he would stock some of their stuff, NOT A CHANCE.

TB has some uneducated and opinionated employees, last time I was there the guy helping me look at a gun I was excited about, kept telling me how he didnt like it and that the caliber I wanted was crap... what a way to make a sale.

Dicks I find to be over priced, and I feel they are a little anti-gun, and if it isnt a Rem 700 or 870 or maybe a Mossberg 500, then they dont have it.

Montauk17

Mar 4, 2011
    Huntingtown
    I was ignorant and bought my M&P9c from Freds but was able to get him to price match Bass Pro. Then the following week my buddy told me about a Law Enforcement & Military discount at MSAR which would have saved me $150 dollars on the same firearm. I told Fred about this and all he could do was give me a free box of shit ammo. Needless to say I will not be making ANY other purchases at Freds.

Thankfully I found a S&W $50 rebate for Military (including retirees) that helped offset the cost a little more.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Freds made me give them my drivers license to hold a pistol, then gave it back when I gave them the pistol back. I also remember them having a sign about a $100 no refundable deposit on pistols, so if you fail the background check they get $100.

F them, I wont even go in there anymore.

Wow just wow. Never heard of such a thing nor would I subject myself to that. Glad you walked away.

Mark at Accurate G&A and the guys at Keep Shooting are the only places I will go, I wish there was more.
    :thumbsup:

Ds is just plain scary inside, about 2+ yrs ago he used to be someplace else and the shop was kinda cool, now he is in the shack, and had a pawn shop, the place is creepy, dark, overpriced, and there is no selection, the last and only time I was in there he had 3 guns, 1 black powder, 1 bolt gun, and 1 break action rifle. That shop is deceiving because he has all the industry logos on the windows like he would stock some of their stuff, NOT A CHANCE.
    Yup, I live less than a mile from D's. Wouldn't set foot in there again. Arrogant ass is a nice description.

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    Wow just wow. Never heard of such a thing nor would I subject myself to that. Glad you walked away.

:thumbsup:

Yup, I live less than a mile from D's. Wouldn't set foot in there again. Arrogant ass is a nice description.

I did get IDed at TB the last time I went in there, laughed a little, but he just wanted to make sure I was 21, and I am 25, so it was kinda cool to be mistaken for younger... :lol2:

Arrogant Ass is a great descriptor for Ds.

To the OP, I too am helping a friend buy his first pistol, but we are both dudes, and he is available, but neither of us are hot. ;) I would highly recommend going to the gun show on the 15th, I am taking my buddy, good place to hold stuff, and get a feel for weight, grip, controls, and looks, because while looks aren't important, a lot of people will rule out stuff based on it, and it is usually something hard to bypass. Grip and comfort is also very important, then just stay with a quality manufacturer and you are GTG.

Also remember that us MDers can NOT carry concealed, unless your cousin is super extra special, so a super small pistol will likely be unnecessary. Better to have a larger size gun that you can control and keep on target, than a small gun that you can conceal and cant hit shit with. I keep a full size gun with light next to my bed, for personal home defense, as a small gun would do me no benefit.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have it on VERY good authority that there will be a new gun store opening up in Mechanicsville in the next few weeks....will be owned/operated by a former member of St Mary's Finest.... Big Mau.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I stop in at least once a month just to say hi and pick up a little something. He's a good ole guy. I wish I'd visited his shop back when he kept it stocked. I tried to find it, but wasn't aware it was in back of his house until a few years ago.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Yup. That's his name. Stores been there forever. Doesn't stock much but I stop in every now and then to pick up some ammo and shoot the sh*t.

I stop in at least once a month just to say hi and pick up a little something. He's a good ole guy. I wish I'd visited his shop back when he kept it stocked. I tried to find it, but wasn't aware it was in back of his house until a few years ago.

Definitely a good old boy. I do the same every once in a while to jaw jack and pick up a few things here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom