• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    WMATA (Metro) is advertising on their website, WMATA.com under careers for their 4 year Elevator/Escalator Apprentice technician program. Very good pay and benefits. This opportunity only comes along every 4 to 5 years. I believe the posting is open until the end of the month.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am posting this info,to help someone find a very good job. WMATA has almost 650 escalators, and over 350 elevators. That equipment is far better maintained than what you would guess. Running 20+ hours a day, many outside. Availability rating of over 97%, I would call that pretty dam good. Just like what the media reports on gun owners, don't believe everything the media reports about Metro.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am posting this info,to help someone find a very good job. WMATA has almost 650 escalators, and over 350 elevators. That equipment is far better maintained than what you would guess. Running 20+ hours a day, many outside. Availability rating of over 97%, I would call that pretty dam good. Just like what the media reports on gun owners, don't believe everything the media reports about Metro.

I was teasing and kidding , sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way . ;)

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Surely more than one. They teach in a classroom. Be prepared to report to Pennsy Dr. Landover

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    WMATA works three shifts, days, evenings, nights. Classroom time is Monday thru Friday, day shift. Much like other Apprentice programs, pay is based on percentage of journeyman's pay. As apprentice progresses, pay raises in steps. Check website for comp. information. Mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, electronic, many skills, elevator/escalator craft requires a jack of all trades. Hard work, exposed to the elements, a rewarding skill and career.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tjis is a great opportunity , with one astrix .

There is a Fued between the ATU and the IAM over these position . The Algamated Transit Union ( and WMATA ) feel that all maintaince jobs are the purview of the ATU . The Int'l Assoc of Machinists feel strongly tha ALL elevator/ esculator position any & everywhere should be under their purview.

The IAM lifetime blackballs WMATA ELES technicians .

If you work a career at Metro , no problem. If you later hope to work non-Union , cool . Ever working for unionized enterprise outside WMATA , not happening.

I'll have to look up the salary, but it's decent.

Once you are trained enough to be working out in the field , the hours are good news/ bad news . You will get a boatload of OT . To the point that it is a major problem for lots of them . I have a cpl friends who started in the ELES program , and later internal transferred to other technician positions to have Less OT .

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Tjis is a great opportunity , with one astrix .

There is a Fued between the ATU and the IAM over these position . The Algamated Transit Union ( and WMATA ) feel that all maintaince jobs are the purview of the ATU . The Int'l Assoc of Machinists feel strongly tha ALL elevator/ esculator position any & everywhere should be under their purview.

The IAM lifetime blackballs WMATA ELES technicians .

If you work a career at Metro , no problem. If you later hope to work non-Union , cool . Ever working for unionized enterprise outside WMATA , not happening.

No union should have the power to keep someone who is qualified from getting a job in an entire industry.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Not sure where the above got their information, but I have never heard lf that. Nor is he listing the correct union in regards to the elevator trade union. WMATA has hired many mechanics from the elevator trade union, many have stayed and built a solid career, some have left and returned to wirk for their elevator union. I am trying to share a very good opportunity with those wanting it. Please do not add non truths, whatever your reason.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Wmata counts OT towards retirement, which is based on a high 4 years. For elevator / escalator guys that's good money. Plus they are the highest paid Tech position at Wmata metro DC.
    The ATU local 689 represents these workers.
    The IUEC Local 10 represents private companies. Occasionally these companies will have contracts for replacement or other work within Metro.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Wmata counts OT towards retirement, which is based on a high 4 years. For elevator / escalator guys that's good money. Plus they are the highest paid Tech position at Wmata metro DC.
    The ATU local 689 represents these workers.
    The IUEC Local 10 represents private companies. Occasionally these companies will have contracts for replacement or other work within Metro.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

I know a guy who worked for a union elevator company and almost all his work was for metro. I thought all the elevator/escalator work was subbed out to contractors. I never knew they did any work in-house.

Elevator union guys make bank.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    The maintenance/repair of the equipment has been in house for well over a decade, performed by WMATA employees. Many years ago it was split with contractors. Overhaul and replacement isperformwd by contractors. The Apprenticeship program has been in effect for around 15 years. Many of those who graduated have risen to supervisors, inspectors, superindendents of the ELES department. A great opportunity for those who are looking for a solid career in the technical field. If you are interested, now is the time to apply.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Pretty sure elevator mechanics are the highest paid trade in the area. Great job and opportunity for someone just getting started.

When my nephew was trying to decide what he wanted to do when he got out of high school I suggested trying to get into the elevator trade. They looked at me like I had three heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom