• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm looking to get a basic model, then throw a bull barrel and Hogue stock on it. I guess either the synthetic or normal rifle-length stock (not the carbine one with the short pull).

There is one 10/22 that comes from the factory with a really nice laminated stock and stainless bull barrel, but the MSRP is around $450 IIRC...

I have heard Dick's has them for under $200 occasionally?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    My wife just bought me the basic stripped down carbine at BassPro and it was around $219.00.

As much as I hate to say go to a mass merchant, that is going to be by far the cheapest place.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    About 3 months ago Dick's had them around $150 or $160. I got a stainless with polymer stock at Dick's for $180. Maybe you will get lucky especially if they have a Christmas sale.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I got mine from bass pro, I just took the whole thing off and put on my OM Hogue and Bull Barrell to make it little sniper rifle :)

my friends kept saying they want to build one but I told them to show me the money ! and ill guide them where ..

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I saw one sitting behind the counter at Bay Country Guns. It already had a bull barrel but not a fancy stock. Didn't look at it since I wasn't in the market and it may be a .22 Mag. for all I know. But since all you basically want is the receiver I'd go used if I were you.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Those are good prices. I was following a couple of beater 10/22's on funbroker and even they ended at about $140 before s/h and transfer.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I saw one sitting behind the counter at Bay Country Guns. It already had a bull barrel but not a fancy stock. Didn't look at it since I wasn't in the market and it may be a .22 Mag. for all I know. But since all you basically want is the receiver I'd go used if I were you.

As well as the 10/22 holds it's value...you're almost better off just buying a new gun from Dick's

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'll check Dick's as the Wal-Mart near me doesn't sell guns (not even BB guns) anymore and even if I did I wouldn't give them my money regardless (well maybe if they had 10/22s for $50) :)

I just need something to plink with!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Hm... I saw a Butler Creek combo with a synthetic stock and .910" barrel on MidwayUSA. Everyone who reviewed it says it's really accurate.

What do you guys think?

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I bought the basic stripped down version, swapped stocks to a Butler Creek, added a Green Mountain 20" .920" barrell, bolt buffer, then came the optics, mounts, etc. Jeepdriver's is freaking awesome, it makes me jealous at night!

You can also try rimfirecentral.com, as they are only about rimfire calibers

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd buy the Green Mountain barrel. I seem to recall that the people on rimfirecentral don't hold Butler Creek in too high esteem.

I bought a Fajen stock and Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway. I wasn't too happy with how tight the chamber was (too tight). There was nothing actually wrong with the chamber, some of these bull barrels have the Bentz chamber and only like to swallow match ammo. I emailed this guy from Green Mountain about it since I was told that GM made the Adams & Bennett barrels. He told me to send him the barrel. I asked him if it was one of theirs. He said that he didn't know, but to send it to him anyway.

I did, he reamed the chamber slightly larger and sent it back. No charge and no charge to ship it back and he didn't even know if it was theirs.

I asked him if he'd like me to write something nice about my experience on RimFireCentral and he said no thanks.

Next time I buy a barrel, I'm giving Green Mountain my business.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I went to Dick's in Gaithersburg today. A standard 10/22 is $179 right now.

They also had a Remington 597, that came with a scope. The stock was green plastic. The stock felt cheap, and the trigger wasn't as nice as the Ruger. Also, it was noticeably lighter and felt "cheaper." I think it was also $179.99 with a scope.

The only thing I like about the Remington is the ergonomics of the controls. I can't stand the bolt latch lever on the Ruger or the mag release. The controls are MUCH more intuitive on the Remington 597... also it has a free-floated barrel. Any opinions?

I'll check out rimfirecentral.com as well

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I can't stand the bolt latch lever on the Ruger or the mag release.
    I'll check out rimfirecentral.com as well

You can modify the reciever so that the bolt latch lever is much friendlier, and you can also get extended mag releases.

eapmai

Oct 29, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I bought my base model 1022 for $165 at Dicks over the summer

If you are near a Sports Authority you can usually pick one up for
    around $145. Basic model, synthetic stock, fixed sites, red dot scope,etc.
    Got mine their but since then have upgraded trigger and replaced
    the scope.

:o

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Does it have to be a semi auto smores? I have a CZ that shoots great right out of the box, of course it shot better when I put the glass on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom