• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My Henry's follower (the plastic doohickey that protrudes from the brass inner magazine tube) snapped off last week, and I couldn't find it.

Can someone measure how far their's protrudes from the end of the brass tube for me?

I'm going to turn a replacement from aluminum or brass; I'm sure Henry would fix/replace it for me, but the follower is made from really cheap, soft plastic, and I would rather replace it with something I know is going to last.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    i just looked at my youth model lever gun....i cant actually measure it for you as my tape measure is loose at the end, making it too inaccurate for small measurements.

but i can tell you that it sticks out just a hair longer than a federal .22lr bulk pack cartridge.......i laid the cartridge next to the follower.....depending on exactly how the spring stretches the length changes literally by hairs.

if you have a good set of calipers, measre a 22lr round and then add about 2% to the length

pic to follow shortly

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    sorry....it was a winchster xpert round....from a bulk pack.

also sorry for the poor pic quality....from the camera phone

Attachments

• Photo_112607_001.jpg
      Photo_112607_001.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 205

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Awesome, that will get me close enough! A BIG thanks, especially considering how much difficulty/pain you must be in!

My follower just plain disappeared when I was in Virginia last week, I have a feeling the little knobby part got caught in the slot in the outer tube, and snapped off, when I was pulling it out. I'm going to make the replacement cylindrical, so it can't get caught. I'll post some pics of my handiwork when it's done.

Bart- I honestly don't know why they put such a cheap grade plastic part on an otherwise nice rifle. It's not even quality plastic... it's weaker than styrene!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Finished!

Finished! I found some brass (from a shotgun cleaning rod, LOL) so I decided to make it from that instead of aluminum. Heavier, but pretty...

Thanks for your measurements guys...

Attachments

• henry-follower.jpg
      henry-follower.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 139

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Ah, I had a problem but I've figured it out... I didn't drive the retaining pin back in far enough and it was catching on the tube... never mind!

The new follower works perfectly!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom