• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack41

Oct 27, 2007
    Randallstown
    I see that dicks has a sale for a box of 500 Remington Thunderbolt for 10.98 i was wondering if this deal was any good or if the ammo is not good

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Ammo is fine. I have used it all my life in my marlin. Its cheap enough to buy. I have had a few FTFs, not many, but I have had some.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Expect one round in every magazine to FTF... Also if you buy 10 boxes or more at dicks you get 10% off since you're buying a case....

When I worked there, it went on sale one day for 500rds for $6.50... I bought 3000 rds that day haha

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I've shot Thunderbolts from my 10/22, and they work fine, but I prefer CCI Mini-mags, they seem to be more accurate, and feed smoother.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For bulk ammo, I prefer Federal, or maybe Winchester. Remington bulk stuff is cheaper, but also has a lot more duds. But, if you're just plinking, who cares? Cheaper is better.

If you want FUN plinking ammo, i.e. blowing up soda cans instead of just putting holes in them, try Remington Yellow Jackets, or CCI Stingers (Stingers won't feed in a lot of semi-auto or lever actions, though.)

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    i use the federal gold box of 550 from walmart for my range outings, i buy them 4 or 5 boxes at a time and get through them all in about a month.

If i go out in the field with my .22 i usually feed it cci mini mags, or remington subsonics and i hardly ever get a ftf... but .22lr is a finnicky beast, you can have a great day where everything shoots well and have no problems, but somedays i have tons of ftf/hangfire/stovepipes... it all depends on how well i cleaned the gun previously and how the weather is... 11 bux for a box of 550 federal is a great deal and i never feel bad about going thru half a box at the range in an afternoon.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I don't care for this ammo too much. I've had MANY jamming issues with it. I prefer red box Federal bricks of 500 for like $20. Much better ammo in my opinion for only like $5 more per brick.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I've shot many squirrels with many different .22lr ammo. You'll always get duds once in a while. Best thing is to see what shoots best with your gun, and it's cheap enough ammo to try out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i fork out for shipping and more expensive ammo. out of my Savage bull barrel GVXP Mark 2, i've tried probably ten different .22LR loads. Fiocchi works the best. i have NEVER had a failure to fire in the probably 3thousand rounds of it i've put through. it has failed to eject out of my P22 Walther once or twice, but not nearly as often as Federal or Remington of various stripes. i'm sold on Fiocchi. it is also much more accurate than any competing bulk ammo. i buy it in 500 round bricks, and it costs much more than regular bulk stuff, but it shoots comparably with Green Tag competition ammo at 50 yards, and drops WAY less. i was knocking over bowling pins at 200 yards and even did one (successfully) at 300 yards just to see if i could do it. i was impressed. as were the people that were shooting with me. at 100 yards or so with a pistol (my p22) i was hitting 8 or 9 out of ten rounds on a human size steel target with every magazine at my friend's place in western MD. on a final note, i use Fiocchi to cut the hanger strings of targets hung from the metal rail down at Delmarva (yes i know this sounds like BS, but if you dont believe me ask my girlfriend or the guys that went down with us last time)

toddriver

Jan 23, 2008
    I like Thunderbolts because they're cheap. However, my Ruger MKII doesn't like them.

I think the price has gone up though...

eapmai

Oct 29, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    However, my Ruger MKII doesn't like them.

+1 on the Ruger's not liking thunderbolts . . . I have had considering
    jams and FTF's in my MKIII. Advantage arms .22 conversions for
    Glock pistol also has issues with this ammo. :sad20:

I'm not sure about the price . . .
    I use the federal gold box of 550 from Walmart at a great price.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04