• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock4arms

May 8, 2015
    Seems like most shoot with their can dry but I am curious to try and shoot wet. I was gonna try some ultrasound gel. Has anyone else tried this or anything else? Your thoughts?

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Seems like most shoot with their can dry but I am curious to try and shoot wet. I was gonna try some ultrasound gel. Has anyone else tried this or anything else? Your thoughts?

I used water a few times. It makes a small difference.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I think I read that it's not an advantage to suppress wet with today's tech. I'm more than satisfied running mine dry. Seems it wouldn't be worth it to make a mess for no reason. Mine is only .22, though, so I can't speak for larger calibers.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Use a little (little!) water, the heat will evaporate the water and there is no cleanup. Not much of a difference to my ear.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Wire pulling gel, ultrasound gel or even Vaseline will all work. A little goes a long way. If you can't disassemble your can, at least try to get the most of it in the first baffle from the muzzle.

Don't plug the bore of the can with it.

MDEXPAT

Oct 21, 2018
    Some shoot better wet than dry. Some the other way around. Unless you can measure sound levels, and take into account first round "pop" you probably won't notice that much of a difference. Just make sure you shake it out well before firing.

mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    I’ve been curious about this has well. Manly if there any advantages on cleaning compared to shooting it dry. I clean mine every couple hundred rounds or if I’m not shooting with it for more then a week. But talk about a job.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    I’ve been curious about this has well. Manly if there any advantages on cleaning compared to shooting it dry. I clean mine every couple hundred rounds or if I’m not shooting with it for more then a week. But talk about a job.

The only cans you need to clean that often are rimfire cans.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Wet is normally quieter. Often considerably so, especially in .22 cans. Usual coolants are water, ultrasound and wire pulling gels, etc. I might try a spray of Ballistol.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    For handgun cans, a little Electrical pulling gel (home depot) works and quiets a bit. I’ve tried more for curiosity than anything else. To me, if youwant you’re probably trying to hard. For rifle cans, given the pressures and the fact that some of the titanium cans use rocksett and can be impacted by liquids, I have no interest in trying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom