• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I’m looking into lever actions and I’m certain I want a Henry. I’m working on deciding on a caliber and 45-70 looks the most interesting to me. Since the cheapest I seem to be able to find it is $1.35/round I want to look into what it might cost to reload.

I’m looking through the 10th edition of the Hornady book and I have three different sections on 45-70: Trap Door, 1895 Marlin, and Ruger #1. Can someone point me in the right direction on which one I should be using as a reference for a new Henry? I want to make sure I get an accurate estimate on what my reloading price might be before deciding on the caliber.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Trapdoor and Marlin loads will be ok to shoot in a Henry.

Ruger# 1 is an artillery piece that can handle the hottest and stoutest big game loads. I would never shoot those in my 95 or Sharps so I wouldn’t shoot them in a Henry either.

Check Buffalo Bore’s website and see what they recommend for their loads.

Also, avoid any paper patch loads unless you’re shooting a Sharps or Ruger. Never in a lever action

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Have you asked Henry?

I haven’t. Doing some research before asking here I found several posts from 2014 where Henry wouldn’t tell people anything other than to use modern factory ammunition.

I asked Henry rifle technical representative what loads their rifle was designed to handle - those for the old Springfield Trapdoors, the lever actions like the Win 1886 or the Ruger#1 falling blocks actions? The response was any manufactured load with bullets of 405 grains or less. So I sent him the page from Hodgdon reloading data showing loads for the Ruger#1 or equivalent with loads under 405 grains, some of which reach 50,000 cup and asked would these be acceptable. The response was we do not recommend reloads and will not therefore comment on those but it is safe to use any manufactured load with bullets of 405 grains or less.

I don’t know if Henry has changed their mind on reloads, figured someone here might have experience and be able to offer an answer for which one works in their Henry. I’ll contact them and see if they have any information or if they are going to stick with the no comment response.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

Ruger# 1 is an artillery piece that can handle the hottest and stoutest big game loads. I would never shoot those in my 95 or Sharps so I wouldn’t shoot them in a Henry either.

Also, avoid any paper patch loads unless you’re shooting a Sharps or Ruger. Never in a lever action

Thanks, I’ll check Buffalo Bore. I had a feeling that the Marlin loads might be correct but wasn’t sure if either of the other two would be appropriate.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Be mindful as you lay in your supplies of the shorter length of Hornady LeverEvolution .45-70 brass.

Might come into play if you're going to secure your brass by shooting factory rounds etc.

Note the shorter trim length requirement in Hornady #10 with the FTX bullet. Hornady factory ammo LeverEvolution brass will be shorter than standard also.

Just a mention so you don't get caught by surprise if mixing brass brands starting out.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I just picked up a box of the 250 grain Leverevolution. Curious to see if they shoot flatter and open up better than the 325s.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I have a Henry .45-70 and load for it. Be sure you Loctite (blue) the little screws that hold the rifle together - yeah. Mine came loose one day, and a guy a couple benches down from me said, "Hey, you got something coming out of your rifle." Sure enough, the tube magazine was coming forward out of the rifle as the screws holding it backed out from recoil. No problems with this since I secured them.

^^ This.

Be mindful as you lay in your supplies of the shorter length of Hornady LeverEvolution .45-70 brass.

Might come into play if you're going to secure your brass by shooting factory rounds etc.

Note the shorter trim length requirement in Hornady #10 with the FTX bullet. Hornady factory ammo LeverEvolution brass will be shorter than standard also.

Just a mention so you don't get caught by surprise if mixing brass brands starting out.

^^ And this! Ask me how I know.... :lol2:

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I've been loading for my Henry 45/70 it's not cheap to load for but a whole lot better than buying factory ammo.I use Winchester/Starline brass,Hornady/Remington 300gr. Bullets and IMR4198. My Sierra manual gives trapdoor and Marlin data I use Marlin. There's a fair amount of recoil but it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom