• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    It looks like 45.2 is the good middle node.. excuse the one i pulled. I called it and know i pulled it. This is 168gr bullets, 4 shot groups.

girls names ending in e

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Agree with Pinecone.

I'd probably shoot 43.2, 43.4, 43.6, 43.8 then 45.0, 45.2, 45.4.

Guessing those two should stand out, but 42.8 looks completely out of family unless you pulled three shots?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    did you crono the velocities?

Not yet. the range I shoot OCWs at is a PITD to setup a chrono so i figured i would get the groups done, then chrono it. I'm looking for the fastest OCW that doesn't produce pressure issues w/ my rifle and powder selection.

There are probably other powders out there that will go faster and a good OCW but i'm set on my powder for market and other reasons.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Agree with Pinecone.

I'd probably shoot 43.2, 43.4, 43.6, 43.8 then 45.0, 45.2, 45.4.

Guessing those two should stand out, but 42.8 looks completely out of family unless you pulled three shots?

It's possible I pulled them but I didn't call them as pulled on the follow-thru so I don't want to count it as pulled.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    46.5 should be your next highest node.

You can work that way, IN SMALL STEPS.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    did you crono the velocities?

Today i fed 10 to the chronograph which were loaded off a progressive press so the powder throw isn't 100% 100% of the time. That being said, i still only had a std dev of 30fps and avg of 2753 from a 168gr bullet (a-max). It's not a precision rifle (ruger american) but i'll be darned if it doesn't get the job done "good enough".

Std Dev is higher than i would like but.. it's manageable.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Not yet. the range I shoot OCWs at is a PITD to setup a chrono so i figured i would get the groups done, then chrono it. I'm looking for the fastest OCW that doesn't produce pressure issues w/ my rifle and powder selection.

There are probably other powders out there that will go faster and a good OCW but i'm set on my powder for market and other reasons.

get a magnetospeed :bannana:

Today i fed 10 to the chronograph which were loaded off a progressive press so the powder throw isn't 100% 100% of the time. That being said, i still only had a std dev of 30fps and avg of 2753 from a 168gr bullet (a-max). It's not a precision rifle (ruger american) but i'll be darned if it doesn't get the job done "good enough".

Std Dev is higher than i would like but.. it's manageable.

which one did you go with? 45.2? you could get better than 30 from factory match ammo. i have to check my data but i believe fgmm was better. but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. if you can get the sd into single digits the velocities will be more consistent and then its up to the shooter to make the shot. ed shell told me not worry about going crazy. the sd will plateau out between a certain weight range then start to climb again. trying to get down the exact .1 of a grain is a waste of time. consistency is the object.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    which one did you go with? 45.2? you could get better than 30 from factory match ammo. i have to check my data but i believe fgmm was better. but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. if you can get the sd into single digits the velocities will be more consistent and then its up to the shooter to make the shot. ed shell told me not worry about going crazy. the sd will plateau out between a certain weight range then start to climb again. trying to get down the exact .1 of a grain is a waste of time. consistency is the object.

yes 45.2. i'm sure i can get better w/ this charge w/o having to go to match ammo. there was no rear bag support just my hand and shoulder making a pocket. match ammo might do better... but not on the pocket book.. or HOBBY of the entire thing. I'm sure i can tighten it up a bit though and this gives enough punch for groundhog/fox/coyote hunting too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom