Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire

Notices

Old September 18th, 2017, 05:10 AM #81
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
I have a 760 in 30-06. As weird as it sounds I do not particularly care for it over a bolt action as a larger round rifle. It kicks like a mule (no butt pad) and I do not care for the magazine. ...
Yeah, 308 might kick just a bit less, although I have a Browning 81 in 308 that one usually stops shooting after running through a mag or two. Slugs out of a 12-gauge pump are more comfortable than that Browning (ouch). The box mags for the Browning lever and Remington pump rifles are both strengths and weaknesses. They enable quick reloads if you have extra mags. However the Browning mags for my gun (Belgian made) aren't easy to find and thus expensive. And I also think the overall rifle aesthetic looks better with the bottom magazine tube instead of the box mag.

That being said I'd prefer a 308 pump like a 760 or 7600 over a scout style bolt rifle. Pumps are faster for me and one can reacquire the target quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
... An Uncle has a 760 carbine in 308 that is damn near flawless condition. I would like to have it just because you do not see them very often.
760s in 308 (even the more prevalent 22-inch barrel version vs carbine) are hard to find on GB. I think folks don't want to give them up. I haven't seen the carbine version (in 308) for sale the few times that I've looked. I think it might be more realistic (for me) to eventually get a 7600 in 308 when Remington does a production run for the carbine length ones. I can find the 30-06 carbines more easily, but don't want one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:27 AM #82
inveniam viam aut faciam

inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
I need to try a Marlin 39.

Remington 760s are positively badass. I'd love a carbine length one in a thirty caliber round. Would be a formidable trunk gun.

+1 on all the positive 39A comments. I was fortunate and inherited my fathers from the mid 50's with its original Weaver 4X scope. It shoots dime size groups thru it's micro groove barrel, is silky smooth and has never jammed, is easy to clean when taken down, and is in like new condition. I will never part with it, but you are welcome to give it a try Fidelity. Oh, and it shoots any brand .22 rimfire.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.” Judge Benson E. Legg

"A constitutional guarantee subject to [a] future judge's assessment of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." Dist. of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 634 (2008).
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:34 AM #83
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Thanks, Gryphon, and you are reciprocally welcome if you want to compare some other pump and lever 22s that I might have by then.

Old September 18th, 2017, 12:14 PM #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post

As per pump 22 rifles, I might have this Remington 121 Fieldmaster (center rifle with no tag) joining the stable soon.
Nice, that one looks to be in good shape as well, did you manage to grab it? It's a great shooting rifle. It's amazing mine is in the shape it is after my dad dragging it around everywhere with him when he was a kid, they took care of their stuff back then, especially when you needed it to eat.

I have a 760 in 30-06 that was my grandfathers and my dad still has his, mine is right handed and his is a left handed model. They're pretty fun and accurate but not a gun I would want to shoot all day.
Red1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM #85
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

It is mine. I was giving first dibs to a buddy with a 13-yr old daughter who's turning out to be a great shot. He tried, but she's got her heart set on a lever action instead, so I'll pick up the Fieldmaster sometime this next week.

Old September 18th, 2017, 03:44 PM #86

Ah very cool. Enjoy it!

Red1917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire