• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I've handled several A2 upper AR's and noticed a groove carved at the base rear carry handle. It's the way of things. I take great pains not to put one there. Is there a charge handle that will keep it to a minimum?
    The handle catch/release.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    All my lowers show that mark to some degree. Only one that doesn't show it is the lower I have my side charge on.

I see it as just a wear mark.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You mean where the charging handle hook catches the upper? Who cares? It's a sign of use... It's like getting a little mud on the tires of a 4x4 or some melted rubber on the fenders of a drag car.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You mean where the charging handle hook catches the upper? Who cares? It's a sign of use... It's like getting a little mud on the tires of a 4x4 or some melted rubber on the fenders of a drag car.

^This. :thumbsup:

Guns that get used are meant to have wear marks on them, it should be treated like a mark of honor. With the exception of the ones I don't shoot often, all my guns have wear marks or some sign of useage. ;)

If you want pristine looking guns, get a gun safe and leave them in there, never to be used or see the light of day.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Are you referring to where the latch grabs the upper receiver? The upper is good for a few thousands "chargings" before the aluminium will wear through and the latch wont grab anymore. I've seen this happen to M16s when I was in the military.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yeah well my spikes rifle has 2 grooves on the area up top where the buffer tube threads in from my Gunfighter charging handle.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    FWIW I have a BCM upper and BCM Gunfighter charging handle. It has hardly put a mark where the latch slips into its notch on the upper receiver. I will try to put a picture up soon.

I've got over 1500 rounds through it and it has been handled/cleared probably thousands of times. I noticed some uppers wear more/faster than others.

Remember not all uppers are created equal. They are anodized at different places and machined differently. There are only a handful of companies that produce the raw forgings, then manufacturers purchase them, machine them, and mark them with their info or that of another manufacturer through a "marking variance". Read up on "The Chart" and you'll see what I mean.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    FWIW I have a BCM upper and BCM Gunfighter charging handle. It has hardly put a mark where the latch slips into its notch on the upper receiver. I will try to put a picture up soon.

I've got over 1500 rounds through it and it has been handled/cleared probably thousands of times. I noticed some uppers wear more/faster than others.

Remember not all uppers are created equal. They are anodized at different places and machined differently. There are only a handful of companies that produce the raw forgings, then manufacturers purchase them, machine them, and mark them with their info or that of another manufacturer through a "marking variance". Read up on "The Chart" and you'll see what I mean.

I think it has more to do with how flat the latch seats and the spring tension; the steel in the latch is much harder than the aluminum receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom