• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Planning a "MK12"-ish build but not interested in getting the AEM5 silencer. I have a Griffin Armament Optimus that in the full-size configuration (9.4" OAL) I think could be a Pseudo-MK12 AEM5 if there was a Optimus taper collar. Griffin Armament probably won't make this given how small the number of people that have a MK12 profiled barrel and a Optimus silencer.

Anyway I mocked it up in OpenSCAD. Given that the collar is the thread interface to the silencer rather than the muzzle for the AEM5, I imagine it would require pinning to the barrel instead of a set screw. The muzzle brake is Griffin Armament's Minimalist Brake with the taper interface machined off.

I have never had a metal part made so I have no idea the cost to do it. Of course if its crazy expensive I'll just accept running the can in either it's mid length or Plan-A configuration and call it a day. Do I go to a machine shop to get the collar manufactured or get the gunsmith that is going to pin it also manufacture it?

CQojP7H.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have that can with the plan A, mid, and full length configs. Won't work well, the mid size only allows a muzzle device under 2" from taper to end, the full length tube is huge, but at least allows around a 3" device, in either case, the limiting factor is the 30cal baffle ahead of the screw-on blast chamber. It's also not the most concentric suppressor, especially if the tapers between the 30cal blast baffles and tube are dirty, that is why they say to use the 9mm end cap if using the 2 longer rifle configs. You can run a 2.25" device with the plan a mount, but it screws into the pistol booster housing, and without the 30cal blast baffle. You are limited to 16"+ barrels and it's loud, even with the 22 end cap, it's not hearing safe, probably mid 140s if I had to guess compared to mid/high 130s in mid or full config with 5.56 ammo. Griffin does make an OTB can, and it's pretty nice, has mounts that slip about 2" over the barrel behind the shoulder of the threads.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I have the mid and Plan-A. I generally use it with the Plan-A to cut down the weight. With the full size config and their minimalist length brake it would result in saving about 2". Their OTB RSTA is basically discontinued plus if I was going to buy a silencer I would probably end up going with the AEM5. Of course the part probably costs just as much as another silencer to get made.

Though I could go down the single piece muzzle device route like their RSTA mount and that would allow it to work on most barrels and not just MK12 profiles and not require pinning to the barrel.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    3D Printed the adapter and a Mk12 frontend. Currently printing the whole assembly as one piece.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 109
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 106
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts