Media separator...Reloading for dummies...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    OK folks...

I had been farming out my brass cleaning and prep work for a couple of years but with all this time on my hands and no local contacts, I'll go back to doing it myself.

What are y'all using for separating the cases and media after tumbling them?

And is there another cleaning process (other than my good old fashioned RCBS tumbler) that is better/faster/cleaner?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I picked up the hornady rotary media separator a few months back for, I want to say, $15 or $20. Before that I just fished them out of the tumbler. I want to get a sonic cleaner. They are supposed to work great.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You can also use a colander over a bucket in a pinch. They are cheaper than anything else.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I pour mine through a screen the sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket (homemade wood frame with hardware cloth screen). Then I pick the brass out of the screen frame and make sure it’s empty of media. It takes about 5 minutes to do the whole tumbler’s worth. I’ve been doing it this way for years. I’ve used the media separator before, but for the extra 2 minutes, I’ll save my money for more bullets, powder, and primers.

Maher1510

Mar 23, 2015
    Frederick
    I have the Lyman turbo tumbler 2200 with auto flow. Has a plug on the bottom side of the tumbler to separate the media from the brass. You just set a bowl beside the tumbler, pull the plug and turn the tumbler on. The vibration lets the media go into the bowl and all that’s left in the tumbler is the brass. Get brass out, put plug back in and pour the bowl of media back in the tumbler. Love it!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the smaller Dillon one. It is perfect for my Lyman Turbo tumbler.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Wet media stainless pins.

A sifter is good if you use a bucket.
    SE Patented Stackable 13-1/4" Sifting Pan, Mesh Size 1/50" - GP2-150 from amazon. For stainless pins.

I have the large dillon pictured from PowPow for dry media. A smaller one is available.

I have the Frankford Arsenal for wet media.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00122507567/platinum-series-wetdry-media-separator
    The sifter is submerged to break the water tension of the pins. The grey container has a drain hole/sifter when you dump the black contailner.

A media magnet is a must.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....dia-release-magnet-(for-stainless-steel-media)

I bought a small telescoping pen magnet for the strays.

I do mine in the tub. I haven't found a drain sifter small enough mesh 50 grid or better. Large t-shirt patch for now.
    I wouldn't use a sink with a disposal.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    The large Dillon media separator is huge. Sometimes I wish had the smaller one. It wasn't available 25 years ago. I use Bounce dryer sheets to keep the dust down.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The large Dillon media separator is huge. Sometimes I wish had the smaller one. It wasn't available 25 years ago. I use Bounce dryer sheets to keep the dust down.

You must have just missed it.

I about my smaller one at least 25 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom